Subject: How to make it more portable? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the first version of the Master set, with the big box and lovely insert.
This, however, makes it pretty annoying to lug around, especially if it might not end up getting played.

I'm wondering what sort of solutions people have come up with to make the game more portable.

Right now, I'm thinking maybe just getting a trading card box that could fit 2-4 of the factions, plus dice. But I'm not sure what to do for the board.
What's the best way to make a more portable board?
What materials would be able to be folded, or compacted, without having annoying creases?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Briel
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Wallop !
mbmbmbmbmb
I would get a copy of one of the starter sets which still has the paper board as far as I'm aware and use that smaller box to put a few other factions in. Or at very least use the paper board into some other smaller box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the recommendation for a starter set. That's what I use to make my portable SW kit. The box is built to house two decks, a paper mat, dice, and counters. You can fit a third deck, but not a fourth. (And you'll get two factions in addition to what you already own in the Master Set!)

The paper mats get a lot of disdain, and the original ones did look pretty lousy. But the ones in the current starter sets have better graphics and fewer folds. I was sold on this game from playing on one of the new paper mats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best mat is the one sold with the feench version of the game (it is made out of cloth). Alas, it is not sold sepparately
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can fit 5 decks (sleeved), 5 dice and all the wound Markers I own in a Starter Set box, along with two paper mats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan " ; " Czop
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thenobleknave wrote:
I can fit 5 decks (sleeved), 5 dice and all the wound Markers I own in a Starter Set box, along with two paper mats.

I fourth the notion of using a starter set box. I just bring my premium board with me when I want to play it outside of home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the game thinking I'd get more play out of it then I have been, so I'm not really looking to invest any more just yet (plus it's kinda hard to get here).
That's why I only want to make the MS more portable. I looked at the French mat, and that does look awesome. Something like that would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently, I use one of my starter sets to carry a paper map, two sets of wound tokens and dice, and 7 faction decks: Phoenix, Tundra, cave, guild, fallen, jungle, cloaks. I made transparent deck boxes to keep cards sorted because baggies were too bulky.

I also laminated my paper map, and that seems to help it lie flatter in the box and on the table. I can't explain why.

This picture was taken before I bought jungle elves, but it also has two additional paper maps.

I use an elastic cord to keep the lid secure, not because it's bulging full, but because I store the box on its side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, without going and buying one of the starter sets like others suggested, I scrounged up a few things from some stores and made a basic, but workable, portable version of my Master Set.

I bought a small box for trading card games (110yen) and some 60cmx70cm white felt (105yen). Drew a semi-ruled playing mat on the felt with permanent ink pen, and voila, a much more compact version that I could easily take to play (although not as pretty).

As you can see, compared to the original box, this will be a lot easier to carry around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The following is my solution that works for everything in Summoner Wars. For just the items in the master set alone. Spend the extra 15$ for a starter set and put EVERYTHING except the deluxe board in one of those little boxes for transportation. Easy solution.

1) dump the master set box. It is ridiculously big for transportation.
2) organize all of your cards by starter pack etc with tabs like Thunderstone (I actually use a Thunderstone expansion box for this, it fits every single Summoner Wars card, including generous space for Mercs and plenty of space for the second Summs. Not only can you tab each faction, but you can keep base decks and reinforcements apart too.)
3) keep a paper map or two and a rulebook in this transportation box as well as the wound markers and basic dice so you can take this one box and be ready to go.

4 special) keep your deluxe board(s) somewhere else at home; this is the sacrifice you make for transportability.

5 special) all of the faction dice will fit in a standard Summoner Wars Starter box.

I'll get a pic in at some point, but this is what works. When hosting people it gets all the little fancy dice and deluxe boards, and when transporting it we can still play with the full set including team games with 4 people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.