Greg H.
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
...is a set of steak knives. Third place is you're fired.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there fellow Kingsburg fans!

My wife and I played our first two player game of Kingsburg. I've played the game twice before with more players (4 and 5), and I'm really hoping this has staying power as a "spouse game."

The blocking of spots with two other die rolls works great in a two player game, but the one thing that struck us as odd is the catchup stages where the player with the least buildings rolls the white die, and again the player with the least buildings gets the envoy.

It didn't help that I was "behind" with the least buildings but 8+ points ahead of my wife. I liked how it worked in a four or five player game, but what's the harm in removing those in a two player game?

Alternately, I suppose we could award the player with least points instead of least buildings!

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's cleverly designed to reward the player who plays the long game. A skilled player often deliberately falls behind the other player when it comes to the number of buildings as the bonus can be huge, particularly earlier on in the game and if you only fall behind briefly.

The staying power of Kingburg is largely down to neither of you looking at the strategy forum on BGG - Honestly Don't! robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H.
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
...is a set of steak knives. Third place is you're fired.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
I think it's cleverly designed to reward the player who plays the long game. A skilled player often deliberately falls behind the other player when it comes to the number of buildings as the bonus can be huge, particularly earlier on in the game and if you only fall behind briefly.

The staying power of Kingburg is largely down to neither of you looking at the strategy forum on BGG - Honestly Don't! robot

What you're describing worked great with 4+ people. I liked the idea of "slow playing" the building to get those perks.

But in a two player game, it felt a bit weird. I was curious to hear from folks who can speak specifically to the two-player experience.

I can say though that my wife and I will likely avoid the strategy forums!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have played at least 4 2 player games, so far so good. She's even played in a few multi-player games (probably 3).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting... never thought about redo-ing the catchup mechanism based on VP, vs. the current criteria of buildings + resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McHale
United States
Falling Waters
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If one player is playing behind in buildings to get the extra dice and the kings envoy then they are also losing a point each year because of the King's Reward. If they do that the entire game then that is costing them 5 points, that is a decent amount of points in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.