Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the base game and expansion a week ago. I've been playing the base game solo with the dummy player and loving it. I am still working on the "solo conquest" scenario and I was wondering when should I combine everything? Any advice on how to go about it? I am a little overwhelmed with all the content. Thanks in advanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Volkare is the only significant addition regarding extra rules to learn. Throw everything together and solo conquest games won't be significantly trickier to learn than the base game in my opinion, there'll just be more variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert AMG
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give yourself few more games... otherwise you will not be able to take any advantage of these "more possibilities"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well for now I added the new "co-op skills" and took out the competitive ones. Also swapped out the characters new standard action cards. I think I will wait to add all the new spells, artifacts and monsters to I get bored with the base set ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert AMG
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you will not get bored - but become an efficient knight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dorywalski wrote:
I hope you will not get bored - but become an efficient knight

I hope not either. So far I've played the walk through and solo conquest 4 times each and every time I am done I want to immediately start another game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aurax golden chubby dragon
msg tools
Hehehe I know that feeling!

In my opinion you should refrain from adding the new extra monster tokens. Once you start to feel the dungeon crawling is getting too predictable (concentration + swiftness ahem ahem) then mix all the new enemies and start to suffer again!

It took me around 20-25 solo conquest games till I got to that point if that helps.

Take into account the expansion also revised some cards and tokens, I would replace the originals with them (horn of wrath, banner of fear, altem mages tokens etc) Then, once the new monsters are introduced, mix the new spells and AA too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I'm of the opinion that you should just toss all of the components once you've gotten a grasp on how the base game's special abilities work. Everyone loves the second unique skill for each character, and the cooperative skills instead of the competitive ones are as close to necessary as you can get for the non-competitive scenarios. The new map tiles don't do anything scary or difficult, and I think Mazes and Labyrinths are fun (again, something to do with that excess movement if you have a weird draw). And there's literally no reason not to add in the new ruin sites since there's nothing there with new rules.

Of the new special abilities on the monsters, only Arcane Immunity is at all unusual: the rest are pretty straightforward, and it's very satisfying to have more cards that can make Move or Influence useful in combat as it helps even out weird draws. And the monsters themselves on average are about the same power level. So I say as soon as you have the basics of the game, toss it all in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the expansion, and I've only played exactly one victory (sometimes 2 or 3 games to get there) for each of the official solo scenarios... and guess what, I'm going to combine it all!

I can see the argument for waiting to "get bored" of base, but hey, it's like Dominion, I threw in the expansions BEFORE to avoid ever feeling "bored" (at some point when there is enough variety it won't be repetitive).

Now to figure out storage using the original box (and trying to keep the inserts in use...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I just threw them together as soon as I got it (maybe 5 games in). More power in variety. Also, supposedly greater game balance (some really strong strategies were nerfed and other things like block was emphasized, or so I heard).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.