World in Flames» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Noobs in Flames (again) - 29 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco semori
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys here is our report about our global war playing by Vassal.
We are playing with all expansions (except Lif and Fif), all optional rules (except tankers and intelligence) and the 2d10 system.
This is our second Global War!

Hope you enjoy it, sorry for the mistakes, my english is pretty bad.
Recap at the end.

Players:
Me - Germany and Italy
Fefe - Japan
Once again the bad guys!

Alle - US, CW, Naz. China.
Matte - URSS, France, Comm. China
Matte is the new good guy :)

M/J ‘44

The sun bright all over the world for the whole turn.
Axis wins the init. (after a reroll) and Japanese go first.

The IJAF flip all the US Mar near Shangai and the IJN put them oos.
The blitz push them to the sea but there are no waiting boats so they have to swim to the US, we think we won’t see them for a while.

US e CW launch a massive air/sea/land offensive.
They conquer Balikapan (last Japanese oil field), Colombo and Hong Kong.
Flip lot of Japanese in the south China (losing a ftr) and prepare for a major offensive.

The US BB fleet find the IJN in the China sea and surprise them enough to force a surface.
Japanese have 6 vessels sunk and 3 damage, the US 3 sunk and 4 damaged.
Then the air force spotted the US fleet and press the action: 2 Cvp are destroyed by AA fire the other manage to sink a BB and damage another one.
US leave the area again.

Despite the losses US try to put in supply Hong Kong with a Ftr in the China Sea, but it is found and shouted down leaving the Honk Kong airport oss (3 good Ftr are waiting there).
US launch an o-chit for a major offensive in the south China.
South east they cross the river north of Canton and destroy the Hata stack (Hata run away) losing an Eng, south west they conquer Nanning without losses.

Japanese move their remaining forces to close the hole and Yamato are railed to the operation area with new Inf and 2 Ftr.
A skirmish in SCS end with the loss of a brave (and lonely) Japanese CL.

Back to Europe.
Italian try a counterattack near Bari, the ari action is good (3 CW airwings for 1 Italian) but then the roll so bad that they lose Graziani.
US lead a fierce counter attack tha conquer Bari, Salerno, Taranto and approach Naples destroying lot of Italian ftr.

Italian hastily call back some units from France and arrange a new front near Naples but the write is on the wall for the poor Mangia-Spaghetti.
To add injury the Regia Marina is heavy surprised and badly damaged by the Royal Navy, dying as she always lived: useless.

US and CW finally manage to invade the Bretagna.
The action is cruelty-less, no losses for both side.
German retreat in good order and put under siege the enemy units after bombarding them.

On Pyrenees the invaders take no action, scared by the Gustav Dora that fire upon them.

Over Germany the US shot down 2 German Ftr and destroy Hamburg and Lille bakeries, no more strudel so no more production (3 bp total).

In Russia the Russky are pretty excited by the sun and, like lizards on a wall, move fast along the front.
An air action had few success and cost them 2 Ftr.
German try to conquer the wood south of Pripet but fail miserably losing a div.
Russian counter-attack manage to retreat Guderian and his stack but cost them a div.

Russian use an Ochit to reorg the HQ and go straight.
Another blitz clear the area but an Arm is killed in the process, the advance destroy a German airfield.
German counter-attack push the spearhead back (destroying a div) but the Russian attack Lvov (that are barely oos and have to send out a unit to assure the supplies).
The battle was harsh with use of Art, Par and HQ support.
The German Eng hold the line to the last men but then the city fall to the barbarian hordes (2/2).

Turn end.

Loss Russia 27 + 15 ochit, CW 17 + 15 ochit, US 51 + 45 ochit, Germany 24, Italy 52, Japan 35

39 S/O
Poland and Denmark crushed, Ark Royal sunk, US gain a bunch of chits.

39 N/D
Netherlands and Belgium conquered, Mao killed, Japanese advance in the north and in the south.

40 G/F
Some CP raid, Japanese keep advance in the north and in the south and strat Chinese.

40 M/A
Poor action all over the world, Lan-chow hold, German find nothing in the BoA

40 M/J
Offensive in France crack the line and destroy enemy Airforce but doesn't achieve a completely success, Japanese conquer Kwey-Yang, US farm chits.

40 J/A
German conquer 2 esa on Paris with losses, Italy DOW France and conquer Morocco, Tunisia and Algeria. Japan conquer Lan Chow and Nanking.

40 S/O
Bad weather froze all the move, German sink the first cp of war.

40 N/D
Bad weather freeze the Europe, Japan take 1 esa on Kunning and 1 on Chunking, US reopen Burma Road and freeze Japanese assets.

41 G/F
German conquer the third esa on Paris, Japanese second on Chunking, rain and snow no much action.

41 M/A
Paris conquered and Vichy is set up, German redepoy to east and Africa, Japanese advance on Chunking.

41 J/A
Some combat in Bob, German sunk 9CP, CW destroy Metz, Vichy sunk a CW CV.
Russia dows Rumania and conquers oil fields, German aling Ungheria, CW dow Italy and sunk a lot of Regia Marina.
Japan conquer Chunking, the plains and the mountains.

41 S/O
Rumania conquered by Russia, minor fight in the ocean.

41 N/D
US fail to dow Jap, German conquer Yugoslavia for no losses, Italian subs sink a bunch of CP in the BoB, CW invades near La Rochelle.

42 G/F
German try to conquer Gilblatar but fail, so buy Spain.
Japan dow US and CW conquer Rabaul, Singapore, Aden, Columbus and debark in the Philippines. Russia dow Japan moving slowly to the Manchurian capital.

42 M/A
US at total war. US reinforce NEI and Philippines, IJN sink the first CV and win some naval battle.
German avoid a US invasion in Spain and kill some ships i BoB.
Japanese CP are slaughtered.

42 M/J
Little naval battle in Europe and Asia, Russian conquer Harbin, Wallies advance in Morocco.

42 J/A
Japanese conquer Telok Batong. Naval battles in the BoB, Germna DOW Russia, conquer Poland, Rumania and Blatic states.

42 S/O
Bulgary conquered, Italian invade Haifa, German CV sunk, minor naval battle in the East, Japanese conquer Manila and the Philippines

42 N/D
Major offensive in Russian the German fall back to Kaunas, Italian kicked out fro Middle East, minor fight in the Pacific.

43 J/F
Russian kill more units in the offensive, Italy are badly hit in the Med, CW invade near Barcellona.

43 M/A
US invade Singapore, big battle in SCS and Med, Russian offensive suffer a setback. Wallies advance in Spain.

43 M/J
German attack in the north and retreat in Spain, Russian advance in the South and retreat in Mancuria, little battle in the Med and heavy strat over Germany and Spain.

43 L/A
Major German offensive in Russia, great naval battle in SCS.

43 S/O
Poor weather, little movements in Europe, US siege Manila

43 N/D
Major Wallies offensive conquer Spain, Tripoli and Manila, followed by an Axis counter-strike over Pyrenees, Russa, China and Rabaul.

44 G/F
Short turnm US kill a bunch of Japansese CPs, CW hard bomb Dusseldorf.

44 M/A
IJN win a battle in SCS, US debark south of Shangai, Wallies invade Italy.

44 M/J
Russian advance in Poland, CW and US in Italy killing lot of units, Japanese push US back near Shangai and struggle in the South China.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, many news in this turn, but is the snowball rolling fast enough already?

CHINA

The turn begins with some bad news for the american marines which had invaded south of Shangai. Last turn, with some luck, Tokyo had succeded in bumping the USA out of the China Sea, and now, by winning the initiative, he can crush the unsupplied invading force. Too bad!
The american answer is fierce, though, as the US burns three O-chit in three consecutive turns. A massive ground strike is performed by 21 LNDs against 7 different targets, and 13 units are turned face-down. On later impulses the US army conquers Balikapan and its oil fields (+12, 21 rolled), Hong Kong (+18, 21 rolled), Nanning (+12, 27 rolled), Colombo (+16, 35 rolled) and one hex north of Canton, previously occupied by Hata and his minions (+12, 22 rolled). Unfortunately the ARM ENG dies there it won't be forgotten.
The battle in the China Sea is fought harshly and it turns slightly in favor of the US Navy, but the yankees are forced to fold back to Manila before turn end nonetheless.

Beginning and end of May/June

ITALY

The italians feels very confident and Graziani leads a brave attack against the angloamericans that stand east of Bari. It’s a bitter reality check as the disaster ensues (+7, 14 rolled) and the general dies, beeing the only blitzing ARM.
The Wallies respond by taking Taranto (+14, 25 rolled), Salerno (+20, 23 rolled) and Bari (auto).

FRANCE

With the Pyrenees’ front crystalized, the Wallies tries to turn around the corner and invade France at Lorient (auto) with a british supercombined. Then they walk south through st. Nazaire all the way to La Rochelle, forcing a lone garrison to retire away from the coast (+15, 18 rolled). A quick walkabout in Brest grants the CW two captured german SUBs.

RUSSIA

I'll go into some more detail here, since I am USSR...
After a couple of impulses of rainy weather the sun shines again in the artic zone, and it’s time to break the standoff that endures since last autumn. Germany goes first and Runsted leads an attack from three sides against the most advanced soviet stack, which is hiding in the bushes. The blitz is risky (+6) and also unlucky (10 rolled)… a bad combination for the attacker, which doesn’t manage to conquer the hex and gets all of its units disorganized. Fearing a counterattack, Gauderian flips to get some defenders face-up, but this leaves no german HQ available for boosting the defense in the later impulses. Von Leeb and Model are stuck in Romania, while Kesselring, Mannerheim and Mainstein look unwilling to detach from the left flank.

So my russian army is now ready to try and grasp some ground westward. I’ve
been hiding my intentions, so far, and my enemy has spread his strenght all over the very long front, probably guessing I could choose to go for the rumanian oil fields. But I’ve been setting up a strong push in the middle since last turn, and this Runsted’s setback comes exactly at the right place and right time. My thought is that if I can split his army in the middle he might be forced to move his wings back or risk to have them cut out from behind. Also, my central push can get help both from the north and from the south.

And this help comes right from the start (during the rain impulse), with ARMs and HQs quickly shifting from Rumania to southern Poland in preparation of my attacks. German troops can’t follow the same route, because on their side it’s all mountains, and so I get some land superiority in the central sector, both in strenght and number of HQs (4-2).
The help from the north comes in the shape of HQs reorganizing long range aircrafts to let them perform multiple missions where it’s needed.

My first blitz is led by Zhukov (who else?!) just south of the marshes and it’s a success (+11, 21 rolled). No kills done, but some troops sent back to Germany for a reconditioning. At impulse end, lots of airctrafts have already been used by both armies and thus I flip 5 HQs for a mass reorganization that puts me on par with the remaining Luftwaffe.

Next allied impulse I burn an O-chit to reorganize all of my HQs and send a second wave against the panzers. Zhukov is on fire (+7, 19 rolled): he sends Runsted back to where it came from (production circle), and moves a division after combat to overrun a flipped Stuka. At the same time Vatutin conquers a forest hex with ease (+9, 22 rolled) and manages to also make a kill (but it’s just a div… I don’t kill a corps since september, despite a good number of succesfull attacks. But I don't complain: I'd take average rolls over swinging rolls every day and twice on sunday). Then it’s reorganization time again: three HQs flip to put some aircrafts and land units back on track.

Germany destroys the advanced soviet Mech division and manages to pull one ARM out of Lvov before it’s stormed. Then Chernicheschenko claims the merit of retaking the polish city, with a bold assault, skillfully helped by a brave para corps (+10, 19 rolled). Unfortunately one GBA INF and one 1str ENG are killed in the process, but not before taking one hostile 2str ENG and one division back to the mud.

At the end of the day I’ve taken four hexes this turn and I can be happy with that. Unfortunately my western allies aren’t draining enough german attention from my front, but at least something moved here in Poland.

One word about my use of the O-chit. I chose to use it to reorg the HQs because Germany had a front where each hex was defended by 20+ strenght and could be attacked from no more than two hexes. He also had air superiority and a neverending reserve of bombers. In this scenario, had I used the OC to boost the attacks, it could have hardly granted a mere +2. Instead, I decided to take a little more risk to be able to use my HQs twice… the best ones to attack the enemy and the weaker ones to reorg land units and (mostly) aircrafts. In this way I was able to keep attacking for three consecutive impulses, never being overwhelmed by the german air-force.

Some of my fellow gamers thinks that this use of an O-chit is a bit of a waste. How do you feel about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
azalin1982 wrote:
Turn end.
Loss Russia 27 + 15 ochit, CW 17 + 15 ochit, US 51 + 45 ochit.

Oh man, what a lack of honesty! As if Germany and Japan had no losses... We'll put an end to this misinformation real soon ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
teobius wrote:

Some of my fellow gamers thinks that this use of an O-chit is a bit of a waste. How do you feel about it?

Using o-chits to reorg HQs is often a very good investment... the way you describe it here, I think it was a reasonable use. Especially since you got ALL of your HQs flipped back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rober Khan
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
This multiple average rolls procedure is very interesting... I take good note. thanks for the effort of telling, guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco semori
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol forget the Axis, my bad.
German 24, It 52, Jap 35

I'll edit the report too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roberkhan wrote:
This multiple average rolls procedure is very interesting... I take good note. thanks for the effort of telling, guys!

Hey Rober! I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by "multiple average rolls procedure".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
teobius wrote:

Using o-chits to reorg HQs is often a very good investment... the way you describe it here, I think it was a reasonable use. Especially since you got ALL of your HQs flipped back.

Good. Of course I had them all disorganized because I knew I was going to flip them back next impulse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
teobius wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
teobius wrote:

Good. Of course I had them all disorganized because I knew I was going to flip them back next impulse.

It's a fairly common tactic, especially later in the war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.