Finland
Lappeenranta
flag msg tools
Check my Avatar OverText!
badge
Check my UberBadge OverText!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone!

I just want to stop you all for a while to really appreciate this community. About half a year back I started playing Dota 2 - for me it's highly addictive and very interesting. I've been playing it like a madman, watching pro games and reading articles about it... How is this connected to BGG, you might ask...

Well, lately I've been mostly browsing forums and sites that are Dota-related and have almost lost faith in humanity. I don't know what's wrong with the community there, but people just can't be nice: every single thread turns into a pissing contest, flaming and name calling; every single question asked is a "retarded n00b gayfag question!" and actually all the other players/casters/pros are retards, losers and faggots.

Now, here we finally get to the point: after a longish pause from active browsing of this site I regained my faith in humanity: here people are actually nice, intelligent, can defend their arguments like grownups do and really respect the other users. The atmosphere here is very warm and welcoming, while in Dota community it's pretty much the exact opposite.

Long story short, this site and all the users are just plain awesome, don't take it for granted - this is a special place on the Internet. Keep up the good work and keep on gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The admins here have set the tone and followed through. Some folks don't like the "heavy hand" at times, but I'm convinced that it is the difference.

Same old story about "free" speech. In reality there are always limits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miika Miinin
Finland
Lappeenranta
flag msg tools
Check my Avatar OverText!
badge
Check my UberBadge OverText!
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
The admins here have set the tone and followed through. Some folks don't like the "heavy hand" at times, but I'm convinced that it is the difference.

Actually that is one of the things I forgot to mention - the Dota site I follow most actively has the worst moderation I've seen. There are threads that are actually borderline illegal and the admins/mods do nothing: racism, threats and plain idiotism run riots there... So a big thank you for the amazing admins on this site too, you are doing a great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Another reason I believe that civility is a little higher here because of most other video gaming arenas is we are probably older in age by comparison.

So welcome sonny, and stay off my lawn. Kindly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Wagner
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Another reason I believe that civility is a little higher here because of most other video gaming arenas is we are probably older in age by comparison.

So welcome sonny, and stay off my lawn. Kindly.

We, also, keep the more demented old folks locked up in Chit Chat.

Where did that crazy Mr Chapel wander off to? Come, sir, it's time for your bacon flavored gruel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Leidich
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lewis wrote:

Where did that crazy Mr Chapel wander off to? Come, sir, it's time for your bacon flavored gruel.

That is totally the best flavored gruel ever. bacon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Moon
msg tools
Yea, it's a shame I've been playing competitive online games since I was in middle schools, and games like WC3, SC2, HON, DOTA, DOTA2 always seem to have the worst communities. My theory is that there are ranking systems in these kinds of games, hence, the community is made up largely of serious gamers who care mostly about their win/loss ratio and bragging rights. I have to admit, I was one of them when I played on competitive teams =/

I'm really new here and I can already tell the difference!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
pmoon1020 wrote:
My theory is that there are ranking systems in these kinds of games, hence, the community is made up largely of serious gamers who care mostly about their win/loss ratio and bragging rights. I have to admit, I was one of them when I played on competitive teams =/

Although people obsessed with their win/loss ratio and bragging rights can be annoying, to me that's a much milder problem than the over-the-top aggressive sexist/homophobic/racist crap that gets spewed at a lot of sites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Moon
msg tools
Oh I agree, I find that often times those who are obsessed with that are the ones spewing that filth from their mouth when they are losing (usually "because of a newb on their team")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are these "online games" of which you speak? We know nothing of their kind here - unless you have a BGG game link, of course!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
miinin wrote:
this site and all the users are just plain awesome, don't take it for granted - this is a special place on the Internet. Keep up the good work and keep on gaming!

I'll second that. Well, I might remove "all" - but mainly, I'd second it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.