United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure what you think about this but we had a small thing this past Saturday in a 2p Game.

There is a Mandatory quest that requires you to spend 2 clerics to complete.

Early on, this seemed like a killer.

First turn, the Plinth was taken, as was player 1, and then I was hit with that mandatory quest. Second turn he took Plinth first action as well.

There were no buildings that provided clerics.

So, I took player 1, and then 3rd turn I got my first cleric. He took player 1 then. Still no buildings giving Clerics.

Fourth turn he takes Plinth first, and finally I am able to buy into a play a building that gives clerics, but of course he places there.

So, finally, on 5th turn, I complete the mandatory quest I got hit with 1st turn.

What do you guys think of this? Is this not a big deal? This was our fourth game and the first 3 were all close. This one he beat me by like 30.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a huge fan of the mandatory quests for reasons like these. But in this situation I don't know that I'd devote so many turns to gathering clerics at one off, and it certainly wouldn't be my first action of the round. I'd just stockpile resources with the plan to bang out a bunch of quests later. Meanwhile I'd focus on either buildings or more likely getting a bunch of intrigue cards and hope to get lucky with the cleric situation.

If your opponent keeps going for the plinth to block you, that means he's leaving better spots open. Take start player, but don't take the plinth. You get first best pick... if he takes plinth you also get second best pick. if he doesn't you get plinth or maybe you push it again and take something else and he has to decide if blocking you is worth it. And maybe he has a use for clerics... but if he doesn't then blocking you is doubly bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am with Todd on this one. A mandatory quest given in the early game is a waste since it doesn't really mess up your plans. Compare this to a mandatory quest given to you on the last turn right before you were about to turn in a quest for 25 points.

In that situation, you should have just focused on getting other quest and adventurers for those quests, picking up clerics when possible. You still have plenty of time in the late game, especially in a 2 player game, to turn in all your quests.

If a single quest (even non-mandatory) takes all of your focus that early on, you are bound to lose anyway since you are not making long term decisions and optimizations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd find someone else to play with.
Did he REALLY need that many clerics for his own quests...?

Go to the Harbor and play your Intrigue Cards.
Go to the Inn & get more Intrigue Cards.
Build buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies guys.

Stockpiling is exactly what I did. He used the clerics as he had a piety lord.

I could have done a better job grabbing quests from the inn as well. The quest was there that gave the Lieutenent and I missed it. That was silly of me.

Ultimately, I tend to agree it was not that big of a deal as I was able to stockpile pretty well.

But what about in a 4-5P game? Do you think that this could really be deadly to the play if a couple of the others conspire?

I guess with limited actions it is unlikely to happen as people will kill themselves to limit one person, thereby allowing the others to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
louper wrote:
if a group can keep you from getting 3 particular adventurers the entire game, they're exhibiting an incredible amount of control, and I can't imagine a reason for 3 or 4 players to all conspire against one.

It's not for the entire game, it's only at the end of the game, keeping you from completing your big quest. And if you look to be the one who is going to win it only makes sense for the other contenders to take you down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As some have said, the other player was doing what they should given a mandatory quest, but indeed it isn't clear that was the best thing they should do; you should as others were saying just keep playing for now, watching what quests are out there, gathering intrigue cards that could turn the tide, etc. Of course a MQ is supposed to affect you, so expecting it to do nothing is unreasonable, but there were various options for you.

Including trying to get a MQ and handing one right back ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically the mandatory quests are easy to do, except for the ones that require 2 Clerics or 2 Wizards. Those can potentially be difficult to do. That is my humble opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from buildings, you can also get adventurers from intrigue cards. And it just so happens that Castle Waterdeep, the building that puts you at the front of the turn order, also gives you an intrigue card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Building Intrigue cards is definitely important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rahman
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
louper wrote:
[q="Thunkd"][q="louper"]Worth noting: if a group of players conspired (openly) to give me, the leader, a mandatory quest late in the game and then prevented me from completing it -- those are players I would DEFINITELY play with again.

+!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boss Trojan wrote:
I'd find someone else to play with.
Did he REALLY need that many clerics for his own quests...?

So taking things to block someone is now a reason to not play with someone? Wow. I just learned someone to never play anything with. And it isn't the person picking up the clerics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marvin knighton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Today is a good day to GAME! But then so was yesterday and tomorrow too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
laughI think it is all just luck of the draw and doesn't mean that mandatory quests are broken or need to be fixed in some way. By comparison, I have had a commerce lord in games where the only money source were the quest location and the starter building.It makes it very hard to get much done. If you want to do money quests you do non-lord favored quests and Intrigues that give you money. The game presents different challenges each time. Most of the groups I play with tend not to play mandatory quests before the 7th round precisely because they wreck more plans then. Remember it could be worse, You could be the proud recipient of 3 mandatory quests over the last 2 rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not quite sure if people just can't stand losing because of enemy interaction or whether they have an issue with the mechanics? After all, these cards go both ways. If you remove the randomness out of the game, it then becomes about perfect strategy which quickly becomes boring or overly complex and suffers new similar issues if more than 2 players anyway.

If the interaction bothers you that much remove the cards, but really don't you want the ability for potentially less skilled players to be able to win occasionally through luck anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trent, I am not sure exactly what you mean. I don't mind losing at all, playing is the great fun for me. I was just seeking conversation regarding the MQ's that require 2 Clerics or 2 Wizards.

I was looking for players to tell me what I/we did wrong in that game to cause such a large point game, and many did that.

As I say in the OP, I got hit with that first turn, and it SEEMED harsh to me. I was curious what others opinions were, and then advice as to what I should have done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if my post seemed harsh, definitely wasn't my intention. Is what I meant is some unfair combinations can arise in this game (in fact any game with an aspect of randomness), but that is in my opinion what keeps them fun. I wouldn't be able to play a game like this with less experienced players otherwise.

I've certainly had games where by round 7 you know you can't possible win due to an opponent (or in my case my loving wife) playing a MQ on you. I see that as part of the fun of games like this though, because it happens, but it's not a dominating factor. Most of our 2 player games score around the 145pt mark, but every 4th game or so there will be a large discrepancy purely due to some nasty intrigue cards at the wrong time for you or your opponent (in fact this is what makes Intrigue cards worth collecting as an Agent placement imho).

(As a side note, my misses now insist we hide our Tavern collections or play pieces from one another to reduce the effect of intrigue cards, I still peek whilst grabbing a drink, which causes her to remove my barrier ).

The games not glitched per say, but can turn out unfavourably for one player occasionally, but such is the life of randomness.

Anyway, I hope you are enjoying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearhug78 wrote:

(As a side note, my misses now insist we hide our Tavern collections or play pieces from one another to reduce the effect of intrigue cards, I still peek whilst grabbing a drink, which causes her to remove my barrier ).

LOL! Too funny.

When you say Tavern Collections, you mean both completed and incomplete quests?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.