Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the post at:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/785224/initiative
and was wondering if anyone else uses a different initiative system when playing Angels 20 or Bandits High.

When teaching the game or just starting out, its probably best to just use the initiative system in the game, but there are better ways to determine initiative. Just wondering if other use a different initiative system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morgan
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing we've talked about changing is how the system handles outnumbered planes. Last night we played a scenario where one force had 2 more planes than the other (9 to 7). When the out numbering force wins they get to move several planes at the end which is difficult to overcome. we've discussed creating a rule where initiative guarantees you get to move the second and the last plane, but not several. Not sure yet how we would accomplish that. Maybe 1-1-1-1-1-2-1-1-1-2-1-1-1-1?

The idea is to put the additional planes into the mid turn as opposed to at the beginning or the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
big__rhino wrote:
The only thing we've talked about changing is how the system handles outnumbered planes. Last night we played a scenario where one force had 2 more planes than the other (9 to 7). When the out numbering force wins they get to move several planes at the end which is difficult to overcome. we've discussed creating a rule where initiative guarantees you get to move the second and the last plane, but not several. Not sure yet how we would accomplish that. Maybe 1-1-1-1-1-2-1-1-1-2-1-1-1-1?

The idea is to put the additional planes into the mid turn as opposed to at the beginning or the end.

Ryan, you mentioned one of several good reasons why maybe another initiative system might be a good alternative for this simple and very fun game. And creating a rule where you get to move the second and last plane is a good idea.

If that isn't so important, then one thing that players can do is something similar to what David (FlyXwire) did, but instead of "Player" chits, use "Plane" chits. That is, each chit in the bag is for one particular plane in the game. As the chits are pulled, the planes are moved in the game.

However, instead of making a bunch of chits with the name of the plane on them, just use chits with simple numbers - 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. That is, if you have twelve planes in the game, you put chits 1 to 12 in the bag. If you have six planes in the game, you put chits 1 to 6 in the bag. Every plane is assigned one number. When that plane is shot down, remove that plane's number from the bag.

Another (more simple) idea is to use chits of two colors but equal to the number of planes in the game. When a color is pulled, that side moves a plane. For example, you can use red chits for Japanese planes and blue chits for American planes. If there are six Japanese and four American planes in the game, you place six red and four blue chits in the bag for a total of ten. As a color is pulled, that side must move a plane.

Now here is one problem, what to do with special abilities? For example, take "Tally Ho" which says,

Tally Ho - As long as a friendly
aircraft hasn't been damaged or
destroyed this game, add +2 to
your initiative rolls.

Simply change this to read,

Tally Ho - As long as a friendly
aircraft hasn't been damaged or
destroyed this game, you my place
you chit back into the bag and
pull again. You can only do this
twice.

Anyway, there are all sorts of good ideas out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morgan
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't care for a chip pull method. Because it would mess with the cards and tailing rules (your card suggestion is good). Not to mention that you could have a turn were half your planes move last. That would be potentially be game ruining. However, no grief to anyone who enjoys it.

I love reading variants, though and am open to suggestions and discussion. Any other readers out there have thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
big__rhino wrote:
I don't care for a chip pull method. Because it would mess with the cards and tailing rules (your card suggestion is good). Not to mention that you could have a turn were half your planes move last. That would be potentially be game ruining. However, no grief to anyone who enjoys it.

I love reading variants, though and am open to suggestions and discussion. Any other readers out there have thoughts?

I'm writing up some ideas. I will share with others when done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stuart jarman
United States
staunton
Virginia
flag msg tools
Instead of chips, why not a simple deck of regular playing cards? Say red for Allies, Black for Axis....drawing an Ace card could mean making a "difficult" maneuver without having to dice for it.

I've done this in solo play; drawing a 'face' card brought on a reinforcement for that side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.