Popular Tags: [View All]
Guy Heinz
United States
Kenockee
MI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just starting playing my first game. Drew Gandalf and sneak attack. Have forest spider and forest in staging area. Resource cost for sneak attack is one. I bring Gandalf into play without further cost, correct?

His text says to choose one of three options. If I choose the option of adding 4 wounds to "an enemy in play," does that include the spider in the staging area, or must the enemy be engaged?

Enemies generally cannot be attacked in the staging area, correct? There are cards that allow it (ranged?). Or not, I thought I remembered reading something about that, but I most definately could be wrong.

Thanks in advance,

Guy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudling
msg tools
Yes Gandalf can attack a character in play, meaning Engaged or in the staging area

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Addison Fox
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
That's how sneak attack works, yep.

The staging area is in play. If they meant an engaged enemy, they'd have said 'an engaged enemy'. Ranged does not allow you to attack in the staging area, but it does let you attack enemies engaged with other players. There are cards that let you attack in the staging area, in particular the special ability of Dunhere.

tl;dr: You did it all right, near as I can tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Heinz
United States
Kenockee
MI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the faster than E=mc squared response!

I am sure more questions to follow.

Guy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
guyheinz wrote:
Just starting playing my first game. Drew Gandalf and sneak attack. Have forest spider and forest in staging area. Resource cost for sneak attack is one. I bring Gandalf into play without further cost, correct?

Yes.

Quote:
His text says to choose one of three options. If I choose the option of adding 4 wounds to "an enemy in play," does that include the spider in the staging area, or must the enemy be engaged?

IIRC, "in play" includes the staging area. Basically, face up somewhere on the table. Or, to put it another way - enemies in the encounter deck or discard pile are not in play.

Quote:
Enemies generally cannot be attacked in the staging area, correct?

Generally correct, although there are a few cards/allies which are able to "reach out and touch someone."

Quote:
There are cards that allow it (ranged?). Or not, I thought I remembered reading something about that, but I most definately could be wrong.

Yes, Northern Tracker is an ally who can do this. I'm pretty sure there are event cards as well but am not near the card list. Unfortunately, the key word "ranged" just means that character can attack enemies engaged with other players. E.G. across the table. Not with enemies in the staging area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two areas, enemies can be in the Staging Area, which means they are somewhere in the same region as the party and hinder the progress on their quest (i.e. add their Threat value to the total that the party has to overcome with their Willpower), or they are engaged (with one player), which means, they are actually in combat with the party (but on the plus side do not add their Threat anymore, because they are now busy fighting).

Enemies in both of these areas count as in play.

Normally, you can only attack enemies that are engaged with you. The hero Dunhere has a special ability, that allows him to attack into the Staging Area directly. Heroes with the Ranged keyword can attack enemies engaged with other players (but not in the Staging Area).

There are numerous effects, that allow you to deal damage to enemies in play directly, which can be used against enemies engaged with you, with another player, or in the Staging Area.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.