Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heard through the grapevine this morning that the sale is going on through Sunday. Sorry if this is old news - I'm typically the last to know about such things.

EDIT: Maybe the extra web traffic will help Lincoln's War?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Y
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn you! I hadn't heard of this, and now I can't unhear it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you have a link and list of games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just the main site, with no fanfare/announcement or anything:

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/

Everything I want is preorder, so it doesn't really affect me; I didn't scour the site to see what all it applied to. But there is a separate sale price for the entries (at least most of the ones on the front page, anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick check at CSW later...:

Brian Youse wrote:
Waiting for War of the Suns Sale...

Folks, the office is sitting around waiting for War of the Suns to arrive, so I thought i'd keep 'em busy for a while.

Check out the featured items at our website for a small list of items we're offering at 40% off (roughly) until next Sunday.

Also, the 2013 WO Bonus Pack is back in stock, as is the ASL Rulebook!

Posted this morning, so its from today to the 28th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ben. Just ordered a few things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Rindis wrote:
A quick check at CSW later...:

Brian Youse wrote:
Waiting for War of the Suns Sale...

Folks, the office is sitting around waiting for War of the Suns to arrive, so I thought i'd keep 'em busy for a while.

Check out the featured items at our website for a small list of items we're offering at 40% off (roughly) until next Sunday.

Also, the 2013 WO Bonus Pack is back in stock, as is the ASL Rulebook!

Posted this morning, so its from today to the 28th.

LOL.. What a train wreck.
Situation:
Office (via Skype)
Bob "sales numbers are down"
Bob1 "hmm yes"
Bob "perhaps we should.....I dunno have a sale"
Bob1 " GREAT idea!"
Bob "ok, talk to you later"
Bob1 "yeah, cool, glad we fixed that."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Was hoping that Kingdom of Heaven was on sale but no such luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
jmp120 wrote:
I think I am ready to venture outside of my comfort zone with GMT for a wargame and this sale might be the thing to do it. I want to get something outside WWII so I am trying to decide between A Most Dangerous Time and The Tide at Sunrise. Any opinions?

Hey, it's a sale. Get one of each!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
John you might look at Breakthrough: Cambrai or Rock of the Marne if WWI interests you. Breakthrough Cambrai is my current favorite in terms of WWI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
jmp120 wrote:
I think I am ready to venture outside of my comfort zone with GMT for a wargame and this sale might be the thing to do it. I want to get something outside WWII so I am trying to decide between A Most Dangerous Time and The Tide at Sunrise. Any opinions?

I own both, but have only played the former (which I remember having
a lot of fun with - see my video coverage for thoughts at the time).
The other game looks like a pretty traditional simple wargame, but on
a subject that not many things have covered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Stalica
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmp120 wrote:

Do NOT touch Tide at Sunrise. The American edition is verging on being broken. One of the worst game MMP has put out in the last few years. Rule set development is very poorly developed with many vague gaps, misunderstandings, outright errors.

And if you really want it - I'll sell you mine at a good price or trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
Was hoping that Kingdom of Heaven was on sale but no such luck.

I was hoping for None But Heroes, but that one's not up for sale either. Maybe too new, still...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
jmp120 wrote:

I really like A Most Dangerous Time. It reminded me of the fun I used to have with Samurai Swords, Shogu, Ikusa, or whatever it's called these days.

But the thing that made it took it from good to great is the 'extra' cards with biographical information of various personalities in the era. Makes it all the more fun to learn more about the era as you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
patton1138 wrote:
jmp120 wrote:

I really like A Most Dangerous Time. It reminded me of the fun I used to have with Samurai Swords, Shogu, Ikusa, or whatever it's called these days.

But the thing that made it took it from good to great is the 'extra' cards with biographical information of various personalities in the era. Makes it all the more fun to learn more about the era as you play.

And at that price, it's pretty much irresistible. So much so, in fact, that I ordered it myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
$50 for Battle Above the Clouds is a steal! I already own a copy but I might get another one as a gift for that price.

That's very kind of you, Pete! How did you know my birthday's just around the corner in December?

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Shaftoe
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmp120 wrote:

Tide at Sunrise is fantastic. Very playable game . I've played it several times , twice solo and once face-to-face. Great looking map and a manageable amount of units. go for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack does have a gift for hyperbole and I love his passion for the hobby. There are a few of my games that he would almost give his life for like Storm over Stalingrad and, I think, Angola...but the passion works both ways and unfortunately for me, he didn't like Tide at Sunrise.

But Tide has a lot of dedicated fans (as many as almost any other of my game line) and I can guarantee it isn't "broken" by any traditional definition (unbeatable strategy that makes playing pointless). I'm also considered by most to be pretty responsive to errata and corrections (when presented in a civil manner of course) and I don't think there is much in the way of errata for the game. The advanced naval game could use a rewrite (and I think I remember a big fan of the game might be doing that for a future issue of Special Ops - I read that here though and I'm not sure he got a big enough push to get that going - so don't hold me to it - but I'd love to see that)...but the regular game is a ton of fun and offers a lot of strategy in a simple rules set.

The rules are on-line so have a look and decide for yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R K
Canada
Amherst
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Damn, no OCS titles...I've been waiting for an affordable chance to jump in on that series. I did grab Special Ops #1 though for the ASL content and the mini games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Stalica
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the compliment, Adam. I am very, very passionate about the state of war gaming and - I think - provide sometimes sharply critical opinions because:

[1] The IGS series of MMP has brought me and my crew many, many enjoyable gaming sessions and has brought numerous great foreign and different than the MMP-series-system (ASL, OCS, SCS, etc) games to war gamer's attentions. Not to diss those systems (many of which I think are great), but because I think it's important work to bring innovative new designs to our attentions and I want it to continue to do so - and improve!

[2] And just as I believe in high praise for a job exceptionally well done, I will take to the mat games that are half-baked messes rushed to market. Unlike some commentators - who like to "sugar-coat" or "hide" criticisms (for reasons below I suspect) - I want to call things as I see them. Warts and all.

[3] It is said that "Only true friends will criticize you - because false ones don't care". I care about MMP, GMT, and a few others producing quality product. I don't review (and almost never buy) Decision and Avalanche games for the same reasons (although I'd never pretend to be their friends anyway).

SoS is indeed a wonderful distillation of the area-impulse system with the additional uncertainty of card play. Every move feels critical and taunt with tension - just as a great Stalingrad game should feel. Angola! - with it's utterly brilliant command system (the finest in war gaming IMO - even more so than chit-pull) and lovely sub-systems is a rare bird of exceptional grace and gaming pleasure. I'm playing it this weekend (again) and can hardly wait. I've also enjoyed A Most Dangerous Time and hope to play it again in the near future.

Unfortunately, TaS did not fit this mold as I've discussed in several previous posts on the TaS game page. Poor rule set translation and/or development - and especially play testing (where many problems should have been caught) leading to mainly ahistorical Russian victories bitterly disappointed me. I was expecting a highly enjoyable game playable in an evening on a topic rarely produced. I got a game where the Japanese lost every time (I was playing with "grognard" war gamers each time). In addition, the responses to valid questions I received at that time were exceptionally aloof and unhelpful. That should never, ever happen when dealing with the war gaming public.

One day I will do my own "Crabby Jack's Game Review" videos where - unlike many other reviewers (I suspect) - I will NOT accept free games to review. I'll pay for them just like the majority of us do. And that independence will mean I'll be beholden to no one - in the spirit of those great reviews in the old (circa 80s) Fire and Movement magazine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the comments, Jack, I just wanted people to know that yours wasn't the majority opinion on Tide at Sunrise. But that's why I make more than one game - people all have different tastes. Ironically, Tide has been better received than Storm over Stalingrad.

Additionally, for those that mention an interest in A Most Dangerous Time, I have a beta 2nd edition rules set for you if you want to try it out. I haven't really received enough feedback to make them official yet but I encourage you to try them out and let me know how well they work for you. I think they are an improvement on the rules in the box.

Shoot me a geekmail with your email address and I'll happily send them to you.

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
$50 for Battle Above the Clouds is a steal! I already own a copy but I might get another one as a gift for that price.

Was thinking of jumping into GCACW with that one, since it seems to be the first in a series of Western Theater titles. But then I'd also have to dabble in the CWB series, and April's Harvest is NOT on sale. So I'm picking up both titles elsewhere, for fewer ducats altogether.

(Edited my acronyms)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
whisky_bear wrote:
Peso Pete wrote:

Was thinking of jumping into GBACW with that one, since it seems to be the first in a series of Western Theater titles. But then I'd also have to dabble in the CWB series, and April's Harvest is NOT on sale. So I'm picking up both titles elsewhere, for fewer ducats altogether.

Not GBACW. GCACW.

Different scale - these are operational games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yeah, my bad. Acronym confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.