Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played CM Civ once, didn't really get into it, but by the time I was finished I did have a sense that I had missed what it was all about. I recently had a chance to pick up a copy (with expansion) inexpensively, so decided to give it a second chance.

Meanwhile I also read the rules for CoC.

Now I'm going through the rules for CM Civ, and boy, they are tedious. The rules for CoC seemed rather straightforward.

So my question is: Does CM Civ really pay off so well in game play that the fiddly rules are warranted? I have this suspicion that in the desire to capture everything in the computer game, the designer had to throw in stuff which is really better served when you have a computer handling the administration for you.

A game has a right to be complex - but only if it is adding something strong to the game play or the simulation. I have this suspicion that CM Civ is complex only because the designer didn't put the effort into editing it properly.

But - this comes from someone who has only played once, and only read the rules to CoC without playing. I'm interested in hearing from people who have played both games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Sid Meiers Civ has more variability, more unique features (Wonders, Great Persons, unique civilizations, more interesting lands spaces), but it does suffer from some fiddliness as a result, as well as less straight forward rules, rule /card ambiguities, a slower, sometimes longer game. I do like the resource tracker in Civ better than CoC (the dials are nice, and the markers in CoC can easily get knocked around or get crowded.

Civ's unique civilizations, because they are unique and fun, are not perfectly balanced.

CoC sacrifices a lot of the uniqueness and variability for a more streamline "Euro" game that has few rule conflicts/ambiguities and plays faster.

Battle is very basic in CoC, while in SM Civ is... unique, and some people dont like it.

Both allow multiple paths to victory. Civ has a more epic feeling at the end, while CoC goes to who has the most victory points.

CoC has random objectives that are dealt to you... they add some variability but this is not really balanced in any way... you might just get crap objectives, though each has two choices... one military and one not). In SM Civ, some cultures really do shine pursuing a specific victory path, while others have more options.

Each game of SM Civ feels very unique, depending on what culture you choose, what route of victory you pursue, the great persons you get, what tiles you uncover, what buildings and wonders you build. CoC games don't distinguish themselves as much.

SmCiv goes to the nuclear bomb and space, CoC goes to... um... you dont feel very advanced at the end to be honest... roads? free speech? You do make pretty cities though.

Clash of cultures is to SM Civilization what Eclipse is to Twilight Imperium, if that helps...
though SM Civ is not nearly the 12 hour long monstrosity that Twilight is.

Both are fun, though you might not need both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know CoC (although I watched videos how it is roughly played). But I played SM Civ quite a lot. And I don't think that there are many rules that are just in there to represent the computergame better. They packed a lot of stuff in, but I think that they all make sense and play pretty intuitively. Compared to the computergame there are also a lot of things missing (like the happiness of your cities etc. or religion).
In comparison to some other FFGs the rules of Civ are in my opinion way clearer and less fiddly. And most of all, like I already said, intuitive. Still, it takes two or three plays to automatize some machanics.
Just give it another try
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Howe
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CM Civ may seem complex, with the 40+ technologies available to research, but what really helped me understand it better was the player mats here on BGG. It really helps to be able to see what technology was needed for each area of research (hand limit, buildings, army size, etc). It really helped to streamline the game in this aspect, as well as being able to keep a running tally of all of you cities production, research, and culture values.

I really want to try CoC as well, the components looks pretty nice! Hopefully I'll get a change in the upcoming month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.