Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Need recommendations for relative newbie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Pigden
msg tools
I've just had my birthday and as such have some disposable cash to spend on a new boardgame, as I'm relatively new to board gaming I thought I'd ask for some pointers.

I'm looking for a game for 3-4 players, I'm not a big fan on 1v1. I want it to finish in less than 2 hours, but also not be finished before an hour ideally, it has to be fairly deep but also intuitive enough that I can give a 1 turn demo and everyone will feel confident in the rules. In terms of money I have around £50, so I guess around $75 I can go higher, but wasn't looking really to go out of that much. Genre doesn't really phase me, but I don't want one which is too mired in theme, minor theme on something everyone is familiar with would be fine, but I don't want one which requires intimate knowledge to get what the cards are telling me.

Now we come on to the crux of the matter, I would say I prefer ameritrash games more than euro, at the moment my collection is mostly FFG stuff, Cosmic, Game of thrones, board and cards, Star wars cards, infiltration and Chaos in the old world. However a recent SU&SD article did convince me that a Euro game would no go to amiss. I've previously been rather wary of them, I played some power grid, and it seemed like the people that could do maths and think several turns ahead would win, I don't want this, that all feels too competitive and too much like hard work, I enjoy sitting around Cosmic having a laugh as more and more powers stack on top of each other.
Sorry for the length, but I want to be as detailed as possible so I don't waste my money, my current thoughts were Relic or Conquest of Planet Earth, but I want to make sure I'm not missing out the perfect game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cyclades is the original hybrid. It's got legs and is tried and true
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for being so specific in your criteria! I will unreservedly encourage you to buy Chaos in the Old World. A close second is Runewars. You may also enjoy Mansions of Madness, though the play time can vary.

Other games you may want to consider, especially if you're interested in some "Euro" mechanics:

1) Alien Frontiers
2) Navegador
3) Tammany Hall (if you can find it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Cyclades.

Also some others:

Serenissima Another hybrid of sorts. Lots of trading going on...but also ship to ship combat and ship to port combat!

Kemet Another game similar to Cyclades.

Tammany Hall Not so much Ameritrash...but cut throat with alot of player interaction. Quickly becoming one of my favorite games....

Glenn Drover's Empires: The Age of Discovery And finally a more euro game. Still some player interaction, and a great into to euros.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Pigden
msg tools
Decided on Cyclades in the end, got it and played it yesterday, brilliant game, so much fun and tension coming down to the final rounds and the god bidding, all the while wondering how many coins people have. Thanks for all the recommendations for this game and help in general!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.