Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Lincoln's War» Forums » General

Subject: Lincoln's War (Kickstarter) Playtest Session Part Four--Summer 1862 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Previous Link: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/957257/lincolns-war-kickstar...

The CSA drew their cards. Because it is the Summer of 62, we get to draw up to 8 cards. As one of my cards I decide to draw this:

I take the Campaign in the West card.

I will let the Union draw their cards and we will get the Summer of 62 moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Knight
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always throwing curveballs our way, Gordon is.

My turn will be up this evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Knight
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have added the eight cards into my hand (no campaign cards for me) and now, as the CSA has the initiative, the really hard stuff begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
The CSA will play this as their first card of the turn:

I play this for the event and I get Jackson the hell out of Dodge:

Hopefully, Jackson is a little bit more safe back home in Virginia. I bank the 4PC, which gives me a total of 13PC at the moment.

How it looks in the East right now:

(Seems like there should be a penalty PC for the Union at the end of each turn there is a Confederate Army parked in one of your northern cities--of course, I say that because of what happened earlier. But you would think Lee and Jackson camping out for an entire year in the North would have a negative effect on Northern morale.)

Back to the Union for their first card play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gordon, it seems to me from the look of the PC tracks that the US morale was indeed very low and the Rebel morale was correspondingly high. It tends to work that way.

Also, as you retreated, (a brilliant move by the way) Nik might, if he knew the rules better, attempt to harrass your army as it moved past his cavalry IF you carried no cavalry with you (As I recall Stuart is still part of that force) it would be a no brainer. However, since you do have screening cavalry, to slip by his cavalry you would compare cavalry strength and there is a chance he would get the short end of the stick, so it's a choice he'll have to make.

(13.3) Cavalry Harassment
A cavalry general (whether alone or with a larger force) may harass a moving enemy force once per adjacent hex entered by placing one (1) IT on it (see 13.3.1). Cavalry cannot harass across a river, into enemy city hexes or into any hex already occupied by friendly or enemy forces. Also, cavalry may not harass a moving force which has a cavalry unit attached. Harassment is voluntary but does not
require activation.

(13.3.1) Resolving Cavalry Harassment
The number of IT placed on a force by harassment is equal to the rank (stars) of the cavalry general,1 IT for each star. A force being harassed can mitigate or annul the effect of IT on itself by using a
cavalry general within its force in the same way, reducing 1 IT for each star of its cavalry general. The harassing force can also receive IT, using the same procedure, if the opposing force is stronger.
NOTE: A cavalry CO’s abilities do not come into play during harassment and no Resource or CSP card play is allowed during Cavalry harassment resolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Poniske"]Gordon, it seems to me from the look of the PC tracks that the US morale was indeed very low and the Rebel morale was correspondingly high. It tends to work that way.q]

That's right. Of course, that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Knight
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Union was planning on harassing Jackson even prior to John's note.

I know he has a cavalry general but I feel the initiative is mine in that regard.

I have Stoneman with two stars and will be adding one IT or none.

For my card, I play this:

for the event.

I discard two cards and get three back as well as playing another card just for PC.

Now I have 7 PCs.

CSA up to add an IT to Jackson or none and to play their next card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Sorry, Nick I shouldn't have assumed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the Rebels will continue their dash back down to the South.

CSA plays this card:

Lee has had enough of Pittsburgh, you can keep your cold winters and snow. We activate him for 1 PC (since his IT markers don't outnumber his General Stars). Back to West Virginia it is:

Then, we remove the 2 IT stuck on Lee with another 2 PC. Next, we remove 1 IT off of Jackson, and then bank the remaining 2PC. Thus giving the CSA 15PC.

How the East looks now:

(probably a little more historically accurate now I suppose, since us rebels have had our fun up north and are back home. The invasion is officially over).

Back to the Union for their next card.

(John, during a real f2f game will a player be able to look under a IT marker that is covering a stack, to see the CO that you would normally see if the ITs were not there?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Gordon. You are always aware of the CO's abilities, just not necessarily his subordinates ... unless you have one of those annoyingly excellent memories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Nik are you letting McClellan make your decisions again. If you do, you may well be whistling Dixie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Knight
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John,

McClellan died, so I am guessing his ghost is haunting Lincoln.

Delay is due to anniversary weekend so no screenshots.

Hancock is activated (Gordon I forgot to bank a PC since the card I used had two) and re takes pittsburg. Two PCs for the North and minus two PCs for the south.

Also, when Lee passed Hancock, I'll have used harassment to add one IT or zero to his force.

CSA is up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

My most sincere, congratulations, Nik. You are excused from duty today. Our best to your wife on this celebration of your union!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well while the Union wines and dines, the CSA goes into action. We play this card:

We begin the invasion of Kentucky!

Since Lee and Jackson have taken a time out and retreated to back to Virgina, it is time for some of the other Confederate generals to take the limelight for the moment. CO Bragg along with Polk and Wheeler move two spaces to 0706, the tip of Kentucky and attack Paducah, while General Pillow and Buckner take their troops and take Bowling Green.

The Confederates suffer an intial 5 PC loss for the invasion of the nuetral state, but the cities have no defense this turn, so I assume I don't have to make a General Casuality check(?) I also gain 1 PC each for the capture of each city as well. Which will leave the CSA at 10 PC at the end of the turn.

The Rebels are punching the Union right up the gut here, we've got them matched in the East and the West, it will be interesting to see what they do.

(John, can CSA use CSP in KY or MO?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering the tactical situation that was a very good move. No, your generals need not make a casualty check. As you say these are free cities until the end of the invasion cardplay. At this point, garrison markers should be placed on the remaining KY cities as the rest of Kentucky has thrown in with the Union.

I am very glad you asked that question about CSP, Gordon. Yes, you may use CSP in KY and MO, but I don't think that is addressed in the rulebook ... now it will be.

As of this morning - 8 games to publication, boys and girls. As of early afternoon - 4 games. THIS COULD BE THE DAY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This was INDEED the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Knight
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poniske wrote:
This was INDEED the day.

Congratulations to John and his team led by Michel and the person who taught me the game, Bill Morgal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Knight
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
Well while the Union wines and dines, the CSA goes into action. We play this card:

We begin the invasion of Kentucky!

Gordon,

I'll admit this is not what I expected from that card.

The reason for that is that the card reads that the final destinations of the two armies must be WEST of the Mississippi. As someone who grew up with the Missouri to the west and the Mississippi to the East, Kentucky would not fall in that category unless it is no longer right of Iowa.

If you meant to pick the Campaign in the Middle or Kentucky card (I forgot the name), I'll be happy to allow that.

Cheers,

Nik
Cheers,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nik, yeah that is what I meant to do. I kind of thought anything not the East was the West and kind of glossed over that. Thank you. Sorry about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely missed that as well, just assumed it was the Kentucky card without looking. ALthough we all should have noticed when it was picked up. That is the beauty of this campaign mechanic - Your opponent sees you gathering men and supplies in a particular area, he just doesn;t know how you are going to deploy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Yanks are bogged down in another "mud march."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Knight
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Union will respond to the violation of Kentucky's neutrality by activating Grant and moving him adjacent to Lexington and Louisville.

The CSA is up for their next card.

I'll admit I am not happy letting Lee of the hook so easily down in the mountains of WV/VA. But had to answer Gordon's central incursion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And rightly so, Abe.

Submit your ucoming moves in a new file guys. All the broohaha over the KS finale has pushed you off the primary page again. You deserve to be up front. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll do my turn tonight and create a new thread.

(Quick 'stupid' Question: with, let's say a 5 point card, can I activate one general and move/attack, then activate a second general and move/attack, and bank leftover PC? Assuming I had enough PC to do all three.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Knight
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only activate one force per card. Unless of course you use a Campaign card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.