Charles A. Smith
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stack 25-30 poker chips next to the board. On every turn remove one chip. When no more chips remain to be removed, time has run out. All heroes lose because the Dark Lords have gained control of the land.

Adds tension and establishes a time cost for each turn so the tempo needs to be upbeat.

Reduce the Time Stack to add a challenge. Add to make it easier.

Add a "Slow Time" spell as the last action of the Market phase. When in a city and following all other market actions, conduct a magic check (20). If successful, add one time chip to the stack. Each attempt = 2 fatigue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles A. Smith
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Time Stack as a Doom Track replacement (follow-up)
In a two-player game, we were about three turns away from winning with a Time Stack of 30 chips when time ran out. Kinda tense actually. Surprisingly, my wife wants to play again.

This morning (very very early mind you) the first thing she asked me was if I wanted to continue our unfinished game of Runebound before we went to work.

The cooperative play facing the time pressure and the closeness of much of the combat clicked for her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
When you say every turn, do you mean every player turn or after every one has gone turn?

Example: Fred, Steve, and Robin are playing. Does a chip get removed after each of them have gone, or after the three of them have each had a turn?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles A. Smith
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
puck4604 wrote:
When you say every turn, do you mean every player turn or after every one has gone turn?

Example: Fred, Steve, and Robin are playing. Does a chip get removed after each of them have gone, or after the three of them have each had a turn?

Thanks.

One chip removed for all three just before all three have a turn.

We play that the person who starts the game removes one chip at the beginning of his or her turn from start to finish. So it's removing one time chip to represent the passage of time for everyone's play on that turn. The person who starts the game becomes the only chip remover. Think of it as a passage of time in which everyone's turn is considered simultaneous. The clock runs the same for everyone.

I think the option of a mage who uses the "slow time" spell while in a town could be interesting toward the end of the game. The mage can burn a turn to try to add a chip, which means time essentially stands still for everyone else. Two mages slowing time could essentially send other players back in time ... unless only one chip could be added each turn. Maybe add a variation on the variant that would cause the universe to explode if more than five slow time spells were successful. surprise

Something to think about. Thanks for the inquiry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
Charles,

Thanks for the quick reply. My wife and I are going to try both of your variants this weekend. I'll let you know how they go.

Hilary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles A. Smith
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my wife and I could have achieved success with 35 time chips. That gives you both a goal to achieve. See if you can save the land in less time.

I think of each chip as a day. Considering the apparent distance you can travel in one turn, each could be a week.

Chuck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kuhn
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Time Stack as a Doom Track replacement/with a twist
Charles:

I used your poker chip idea with a "doom track" twist. Before you shared your idea, I would write the days on a piece of paper and cross them off. I think using poker chips is easier and "smoother".

I add the doom track twist like this: When I "start my day" I take a chip. If it is a challenge, I resolve it and when I discard my card I also discard the chip. Now if the challenge allows me to hold on to the card (therefore not discarding it), I do not discard the chip. I hold on to it until I have to discard a card. On the other hand if I am forced during play to discard a card, other than a challenge, then another chip get pulled and discarded (just like the doom track, a card discard causes a chip discard). That way you may start the game w 35-40 chips but some situations will cause extra chips to be discarded. This causes uncertainty on when the End Game will come. It also adds a level of decision making, do I turn in that event card for 5gp or hold on to it to not lose an extra day, etc.??? I also must add that I have only used this idea in solo play.

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr X
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
Here's an idea:

At the beginning of each new round, add a token to the pile (poker chips, etc.). Roll 2d10. Add the dice result with the amount of tokens. If the sum is X (somewhere between 30-40, probably), then the endgame begins.

What this does: Basically it's the same thing as stated before (the ticker is running out of time) but adds a bit of randomness to the last part of the game. Once it becomes possible to "roll Armageddon", each round grows more and more tense as the odds lean more in the favor of Margath, but leaves everyone unsure of exactly when he will strike.

-----------

Here's a variant to that variant:

Same as stated above but when the dice roll and tokens are added and the sum is X (somewhere between 30-40, probably), instead of the end game beginning a red creature is summoned and "spotted" at one of the towns (choose randomly). The monster is destroying the town! If it's not killed in Y turns (1, 2, maybe 3) the entire city will burn to cinders! If this happens the town is razed and can no longer be entered or used to buy/sell/heal.

Remember at the beginning of each round a new token is added and the dice are rolled, so the further the game progresses, the more monsters will begin popping up all over the land, attacking innocent towns.

If the monsters are not killed, afterwards (next turn) they will attack the next nearest town. If all the towns are gone, they will begin killing the players.

If all the red beasts are destroyed and (at least one) town(s) are saved, the players win.

This works well if you have expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Hejl
Denmark
Randers
flag msg tools
mb
I´ve been using the doom counters as follows:

After first round a doom counter is placed at the southernmost town market stack.

After each new round the doom counter is advanced 1 step north.

When the counter is at the northernmost market stack it is advanced by placing it permanently at the 1st (southernmost) market stack and placing a new doom counter at the 2nd market stack, advancing from there.

Continue as described by putting in permanent doom counters (thus using less and less time reaching the last market stack).

When all stacks are filled with permanent markers the dragons instead move at the end of each round. Each red encounter moves 1 step towards the nearest town, which they destroy upon reaching it.

Obviously if all towns are destroyed the players loose the game. In order to win I´ve been using a guideline saying: either one of the players beat Margath or the players must defeat a combined number of red encounters equal to 2X the number of players.

Been reading some of you guys´ suggestions and seems that this variant sets the time to 36 rounds, plus the time it takes for the dragons to destroy the towns. :p

On the other hand we play the game in teams (2v2, 2v2v2, 3v3) to ad some PVP too :cool:. Might be worth doing all-out co-op and reducing the time. Think Ill suggest it next time we´re playing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.