Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quite a fan of the Ravensburger little box games aimed at children. I've got Animal Olympics, HighwayMan, Off to the Tower, White Rabbit and now Rio.

Prior to Rio my experience of this series has been solid enjoyable games that kids can play either by themselves or with adults and in the case of Animal Olympics a game that adults will enjoy too.

Rio isn't in the same class in my opinion, and is a bit of a disappointing ebay purchase.

Components are good - a peg holder with the numbers 1-5 and a wider 'cup' with a 6, a number of pegs and a die.

Idea of the game is to get rid of all your pegs (you start with 6). First turn you roll the die once, if you get a 1-5 put a peg in that hole if it's empty otherwise take the peg, if you get a 6 put the peg in the cup.

After everyone has had one turn, rules alter now you keep rolling and putting in pegs until you roll a 6 or have to take a peg.

And that's it.

Game play is relatively quick, and the games finish in about 10 minutes - although theoretically they could go on forever. The fact that a 6 takes a peg out of play ensures that the game ends (eventually).

There isn't a game in here that I can see. On your turn you roll the die and put or take a peg. No decisions at all, no 'push your luck' type mechanic, no betting mechanic, nothing to lift this game beyond total luck.

My four year old is quite taken with it - but my six year old thinks it's boring.

Definitely not up to the same standard as the other Ravensburger little box games I've tried and not one I could recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Merkel
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bucklen_uk wrote:
After everyone has had one turn, rules alter now you keep rolling and putting in pegs until you roll a 6 or have to take a peg.

And that's it.

Modification that makes the Game really more interesting:

After everyone has had one turn, rules alter now: As a first action item the player has to roll and put or take a peg. If the player succeeds in putting a peg (not being forced to take a peg) then the player is free to decide to end the turn now or to proceed. If the player is forced to take a peg the player's turn ends immediately.

Players are allowed to see the number of remaining pegs of each player.

By introducing this point of decision in the player's turn the game gains a small strategic element. Obviously the player is willing to take more risk if he leads the game then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.