Subject: MSRP of package at the Captain's Level ($100 pledge)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Chen
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all! I've recently taken a closer look at the MYTH Kickstarter campaign and I'm tempted to pledge at the $100 level. However, my gaming budget is currently very tight, so I'm wondering if it'll cost a whole lot more in the event that I choose to wait until the game is published next year? Or will I be able to purchase it at a comparable cost (ie. $100) at an online retailer subsequently? Tried to look for this information in the forum, but I didn't seem to find it. Thanks in advance to anyone who's willing to chime in with their opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider it like Zombicide. You're not going to get all that stuff from anywhere but KS for that cheap.
I do recall some one crunching numbers somewhere, and it was well over $200.
If anyone not as lazy as me wants to provide you with exact numbers, that would probably suit you better.

The way I see it; it's $100 and you get a ton of extra stuff. The base game will go for $75 MSRP, so for $25 I get a bunch of expansions that equate to well over 100 miniatures. That equals a good deal to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Jack" Onstott
United States
Carriere
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure you will be able to get the game at $90 to $100 MSRP but you are going to miss out on "a LOT" of rewards and KS exclusives. Will you be able to play the game? Yes but you will be able to play it a lot better pledging now. There will be get minions such as elementals, rats and cyclops that will not be in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smith
msg tools
mbmb
The game itself is $89 MSRP. The first stretch goal is worth ~30. After that everything is profit for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im not sure MSRP has been posted.
Id imagine this will probably be around $90 retail?
Minus discount online if you go that route.

But youll be missing out on some awesome Exclusives and a boat load of 'free' minis.

If you could, is say go in now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:

This $100 package currently has 4x the minis of the base game. It has 2.5x the tiles.

I thought it just doubled the tiles?
The unlocked world set was 10 more tiles right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Your finances are what they are, but if you've got the $100 to spend, you get a TON of additional content vs buying it at MSRP next year. I'd strongly suggest pledging at $100 unless it would really cause problems with your finances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark guckeyson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MSRP has been posted. It's in the Minion pledge level as $89.

To be honest, if you think the game will be fun/interesting/often played, I don't see any reason to *not* pledge Captain, unless you literally can't afford to. In which case, you should avoid Kickstarter like the plague of bank accounts it is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrawn 007
msg tools
First, a couple of the items (2 mini-bosses and the trickster hero) are kickstarter exclusives, so you would be unable to get them retail later.

The only item we really know retail on is the main box which is $89.

If we compare to the add-ons and assume they are in the range of what MSRP will be (I'd guess MSRP will actually be higher on these items) we get:

Exclusives
0k Miniboss (assumed $15)
80k Miniboss (assumed $15)
200k Trapster Hero ($15)

Other Items
50k 10 skeleton Minions and 2 Captains ($30)
100k 6 captains (2 orc, 2 arachnids, 2 skeletons)
125k 18 minions (6 orc, 6 arachnids, 6 skeletons) (est $60 for this + previous)
150k Sleeves (for 6 heroes) ($30)
175k Alternate Gender Miniatures (Going to guess about $15)
225k 10 Elemental minions and 2 captains ($30)
250k Skeleton Boss ($20)
275k Lairs ($8)
300k Orc Boss ($20)
325k New Tiles ($35)
350k 10 rat minions and 2 captains ($30)
375k 18 minions (6 skeletons, 6 elementals, 6 rats)
400k Rat Boss ($30)
425k 4 Captains (2 elemental, 2 rat) (Est $60 for this + 375k)

So with these estimates the MSRP = $502
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish we knew what the official MSRP was for all the add-ons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
D6Frog wrote:

This $100 package currently has 4x the minis of the base game. It has 2.5x the tiles.

I thought it just doubled the tiles?
The unlocked world set was 10 more tiles right?

Yeah it's just double tiles, not sure where he's getting that from. (Although if it is indeed correct then how the hell did I miss it and I'm very intrigued all of a sudden).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Barnes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thrawn007 wrote:
First, a couple of the items (2 mini-bosses and the trickster hero) are kickstarter exclusives, so you would be unable to get them retail later.

The only item we really know retail on is the main box which is $89.

If we compare to the add-ons and assume they are in the range of what MSRP will be (I'd guess MSRP will actually be higher on these items) we get:

Exclusives
0k Miniboss (assumed $15)
80k Miniboss (assumed $15)
200k Trapster Hero ($15)

Other Items
50k 10 skeleton Minions and 2 Captains ($30)
100k 6 captains (2 orc, 2 arachnids, 2 skeletons)
125k 18 minions (6 orc, 6 arachnids, 6 skeletons) (est $60 for this + previous)
150k Sleeves (for 6 heroes) ($30)
175k Alternate Gender Miniatures (Going to guess about $15)
225k 10 Elemental minions and 2 captains ($30)
250k Skeleton Boss ($20)
275k Lairs ($8)
300k Orc Boss ($20)
325k New Tiles ($35)
350k 10 rat minions and 2 captains ($30)
375k 18 minions (6 skeletons, 6 elementals, 6 rats)
400k Rat Boss ($30)
425k 4 Captains (2 elemental, 2 rat) (Est $60 for this + 375k)

So with these estimates the MSRP = $502

Personally, I think the costs are a little blown out of proportion right now for the Add-ons. The cost per model at the pledge level is below $1 each, then the Add-ons are like 10-20$ per model. Maybe it is just my board game mind trying to grasp the "table top miniature" expensiveness again (it has been a while since I have bought "real" miniatures, but I know they are expensive as all hell). $20 for 1 model and 10 cards seems about right for large bosses at MSRP. $20 for 1 hero model, 30 cards and sleeves seems high to me. And $15 for 30 cards is way overpriced (quest and item additions). I realize this is "hobby quality stuff", but not even metal Games Workshop single miniatures cost that much, especially small ones.

All I know, is every time I add stuff to my pledge, I kind of cringe some at the cost. I have added most of the add-ons to apprentice and I am closing in on $300 fast. I am almost debating dropping my pledge to Captain and just seeing if I like the game before I invest so much into it. I can buy A LOT of board games for $300 at discounted online retailers. Then again, I have no idea how much this stuff is going to go for after it is "released".

So I need a little more convincing I guess. But I have a hard time seeing a lot of this stuff selling retail for as much as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark guckeyson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm certainly not going to say it'll cost you $20 at retail, but if the size of the Elemental boss is roughly the same as the other bosses, then $20 for the fig alone isn't atypical of a fig that size (assuming a well done sculpt), in my experience.

That doesn't make it any less painful, since you're spending a fifth as much as the base game on a single boss you might see only rarely. I justified it by saying the boss was $10 and some of the stretch goals were the other $20. Still a bit painful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Barnes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markguy wrote:
I'm certainly not going to say it'll cost you $20 at retail, but if the size of the Elemental boss is roughly the same as the other bosses, then $20 for the fig alone isn't atypical of a fig that size (assuming a well done sculpt), in my experience.

That doesn't make it any less painful, since you're spending a fifth as much as the base game on a single boss you might see only rarely. I justified it by saying the boss was $10 and some of the stretch goals were the other $20. Still a bit painful!

Yep. I don't have as much of a problem with the bosses as the other stuff, as they are larger. There are many "hobby quality miniatures" that are like 30-70 dollars for very large models. But when things like the Merchants of Death are $25 for 3 smaller minis, or the Spriggan, which is literally one small model and 30 cards and sleeves is 20 bucks, it seems a little off base compared to the cost of the game on its own. Maybe that is there way of making some of the costs back of giving away too much stuff at the pledge levels?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrawn 007
msg tools
The cost per mini for the kickstarter packages is special. You will not see those price points per mini for anything retail. (Heck, you won't see double those prices again.)

If you are going to base your decisions by comparing to captain or apprentice, and you will always feel bad about adding things at price points that don't match that value, it's simple, you will never add pieces. I only expect things to get more expensive from here.

I compare back to warhammer quest, which was in the $15-20 range per character too. And that came with one metal mini, 1 cardboard character card, and a cardboard item. $15 for these character packs doesn't seem out of line in the least.

I'd suggest going to compare mini prices with warhammer plastics as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you work out the average price of the miniatures in the base game then apply that to the extra miniatures that you get in the $100 Captain pledge you will quickly see how much you could potentially save by pledging via KS. Whether you should pledge for it is difficult to say, if you feel you can afford for it then go for it but if you cannot justify the spend then most of the stuff will be available at retail at a later date. You would miss out on a few KS exclusive but nothing earth shattering in my opinion (I am pledged).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chen
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me sincerely thank everyone for your input so far, as I truly appreciate looking at the matter from various angles. Quite unbelievable to see so many responses in a span of an hour, but that's the wonder of BGG, I guess! wow

I'm going to see if I can cough up the amount needed for the Captain's pledge for now, but it's going to be a real stretch to my cash flow this time of the month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Barnes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thrawn007 wrote:
The cost per mini for the kickstarter packages is special. You will not see those price points per mini for anything retail. (Heck, you won't see double those prices again.)

If you are going to base your decisions by comparing to captain or apprentice, and you will always feel bad about adding things at price points that don't match that value, it's simple, you will never add pieces. I only expect things to get more expensive from here.

I compare back to warhammer quest, which was in the $15-20 range per character too. And that came with one metal mini, 1 cardboard character card, and a cardboard item. $15 for these character packs doesn't seem out of line in the least.

I'd suggest going to compare mini prices with warhammer plastics as well.

If you read my posts, I am not just talking about the mini costs. $15 for 30 cards is outrageous, probably the most outrageous cost of any of the add-ons. In fact, that is probably one of the things I want the most, at a very high price point.

It is hard to really say right now, but the models do look high quality. And I agree that as far as hobby quality miniatures, $15-20 is realistic. Hell, I have paid a lot more for some commanders in my Warhammer/40k/Epic armies

But when you see things like 4-5 lairs for 8 bucks, and then 1 hero model costs 15 bucks, it doesn't really make sense. The lairs are probably easily 10 times the cost to produce if they are going to look as they do in the pictures. They are not only larger, but also pretty detailed. How does that add up? It is pretty obvious things are being marked up just to mark them up as they will hopefully be "popular", and generate more funds for the KS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MattVid wrote:
But when you see things like 4-5 lairs for 8 bucks, and then 1 hero model costs 15 bucks, it doesn't really make sense. The lairs are probably easily 10 times the cost to produce if they are going to look as they do in the pictures. They are not only larger, but also pretty detailed. How does that add up? It is pretty obvious things are being marked up just to mark them up as they will hopefully be "popular", and generate more funds for the KS.

The pricing on some of the add-on stuff is definitely off and does not make sense! The Spriggan for example is $15 for one miniature and a hero deck yet the Skald is the same price with two miniatures. I think this is just more to do with MERCS unfamiliarity of running a KS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael Pigulla
Germany
Feldkirchen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:
The pricing on some of the add-on stuff is definitely off and does not make sense! The Spriggan for example is $15 for one miniature and a hero deck yet the Skald is the same price with two miniatures.

Although in this particular case you could argue that they've always been planning on selling the extra heroes for 15$ but then decided to throw in the alternate gender models as an extra after the fans requested them.

But yes, the pricing scheme is a little funky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Handley
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
cmarkboy wrote:
Let me sincerely thank everyone for your input so far, as I truly appreciate looking at the matter from various angles. Quite unbelievable to see so many responses in a span of an hour, but that's the wonder of BGG, I guess! wow

I'm going to see if I can cough up the amount needed for the Captain's pledge for now, but it's going to be a real stretch to my cash flow this time of the month.

From what I understand, the pledge manager will be active for a month, during which you can add funds to increase your pledge level and what you want. If you're broke right now, back at some trivial amount, then spend more in the pledge manager when you have the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrawn 007
msg tools
Of course, any money pledged during the pledge manager timing won't unlock more cool stuff. So if you CAN pledge now, best to do so. The money comes out of your account at the same time either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thrawn007 wrote:
Of course, any money pledged during the pledge manager timing won't unlock more cool stuff. So if you CAN pledge now, best to do so. The money comes out of your account at the same time either way.

Not true. If you pledge now the money comes out of your account as soon as the KS ends (in 2 days). If you add stuff in during the pledge manager then you won't have to pay until you complete the pledge manager and an invoice is sent. The manager itself probably won't be available until 4-6 weeks after the KS ends and you'll have around a month to fill it in so that is a fairly long time after the KS ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Handley
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
n3rd wrote:
jonahmaul wrote:
The pricing on some of the add-on stuff is definitely off and does not make sense! The Spriggan for example is $15 for one miniature and a hero deck yet the Skald is the same price with two miniatures.

Although in this particular case you could argue that they've always been planning on selling the extra heroes for 15$ but then decided to throw in the alternate gender models as an extra after the fans requested them.

But yes, the pricing scheme is a little funky.

The inconsistent pricing doesn't bother me (but then I'm a tabletop wargamer as well), I see it as ways to push us closer to stretch goals with current backers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
modern life
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:
The pricing on some of the add-on stuff is definitely off and does not make sense! The Spriggan for example is $15 for one miniature and a hero deck yet the Skald is the same price with two miniatures. I think this is just more to do with MERCS unfamiliarity of running a KS.

The Spriggan is a KS exclusive and won't be sold retail. From what I gather reading on here a lot of the cost in miniatures is the initial development costs of molds, etc. Therefore a limited run of a miniature is going to cost more than another which is produced in large quantities (which the other heroes will be).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.