Subject: Is this game for me? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shaun
United States
WOODLAND HILLS
California (CA)
flag msg tools
Things I really like: Marvel Comics (70, 80's and 90's), Lord of the Rings" The Living Card Game, Marvel Roleplaying Games, Arkham Horror and the Cthulhu game systems from FFG, Heavily themed Ameritrash Games, Flavor Text, Dungeon Crawlers.

Things I don't care for: Magic: TG, Most Euro-Games, Dominion, Circus People...mostly clowns...

Now, with that silliness being said above, I want to know if you would recommend this game based on those tastes. The only card games I have ever played are Magic, LotR, Dominion and CoC. The only one I have ever enjoyed was LotR. I'm a big fan of flavor text and the feeling I'm kind of playing through an adventure of sorts. I would play this about 85% of the time solo!

Is there a lot of Flavor and Theme Text on the cards?

How many heroes are you at one time (one player game)?

How long does it really take to play?

Is it good solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crimso wrote:
Is there a lot of Flavor and Theme Text on the cards?

How many heroes are you at one time (one player game)?

How long does it really take to play?

Is it good solo?

1. No, there's no flavor text really at all. I think it's plenty thematic without flavor text, but that's debatable.

2. You're not playing as a hero. It's more like you're recruiting heroes and sending them off to fight villains. Like you're the director of SHIELD. There are usually five heroes in the game, but that varies depending on the scheme in play.

3. Between 1 and 1.5 hours, typically. Fast players can play a game in 45 minutes, but I'm not that fast. Some schemes run longer than others.

4. I play a lot of solo, and I think it's very fun. I usually play two decks though.

The only deck-builder you mentioned in Dominion, and you put that in your do-not-care-for list, so I would say this game is not for you. I think you'd probably enjoy Sentinels of the Multiverse more. Every card in that game has flavor text. You're playing as a hero. There's no deck-building mechanic. The artwork isn't as nice, IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than not taking place in a recognizable comic world, I agree that SoM is going to be the closest you get to a comic-based card-driven co-op that you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed with both of the above posts. I *really* like Legendary and I'd love to recommend it to you, but I can't.

At its core is a deck building mechanic which is the same as Dominion. That's not to say that it plays the same way, but you *may* not like Legendary if you don't like Dominion.

Further there is little to no thematic flavor text in the game - I wish there was more as I'm a sucker for it, but there is very little of it.

And no, you don't choose and play a hero. It feels more like you're building a team as DarthEd said.

If you're playing it solo, in my experience, it takes about an hour to play. And yes, it plays just fine solo.

The suggestions for Sentinels of the Multiverse are perfect: you play a single hero, can be played solo, and the cards ooze with theme. It's just not set in an established comic universe. I would normally warn someone that it does have its fiddly elements but I don't think that will be a problem for you since you also play Arkham Horror and the Lord of the Rings LCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also agree with everything the others have said. If you have a FLGS near you where you can try before you buy by all means do so, it might be for you after all, but as a blind purchase I think chances are that you will not like it. You can also check out some videos to see how the game plays, I really like Rodney Smith's "Watch it Played"-Playthrough (the first video explains the rules, the following ones show the gameplay) and Rahdo's walkthrough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I'd suggest at least watching one of those playthroughs first before deciding. I'm not a fan of Dominion either, but I love Legendary!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
WOODLAND HILLS
California (CA)
flag msg tools
Thanks guys I will be taking pass. Thanks for the time!

Case Closed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crimso wrote:
Thanks guys I will be taking pass. Thanks for the time!

Case Closed!

My suggestion would be this: seek out someone (your FLGS?) that has it so that you can try and play it. This is definitely one of those "play before you pay" games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.