Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Newburg
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, I love the old Crimson Skies. I especially love the theme and setting. However, X-Wing has ruined me for other dog-fighting games. It's a solid system that plays fast and bears many similarities to CS. So, my buddies up at my LGS and I are working on a conversion to bring CS into FFG's Flightpath system. It's in its beginning stages, so it's not ready for play-test, but I've got some solid ideas on where I'm going with it.

The linked Google doc is the beginning of me going through the X-Wing rulebook and doing any additions/subtractions/changes that I feel are pertinent to the conversion. I'm working on it a little at a time.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1I2r8yrtE4IfGF7IQuibD6XQ9...

Also, I got jumpy and created a mockup of a Plane Card in Photoshop. Don't fret on the stats, those will need to be adjusted in play-testing. I'm gonna keep the development of this conversion open throughout the process and I appreciate any input. I just wanted to gauge interest. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graeme McGee
United Kingdom
Upper Cambourne
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great.

Have you tried swapping the leather and parchment textures? Can't help thinking it would look better the other way round, although the white text is very readable on the brown, so maybe not. You could make the stat circles look like cockpit dials if you want to add a bit of theme.

Also, icons look good, but maybe scale them down a touch inside the grey circles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
MILLINGTON
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I've got all the stuff for CS and welcome any modifications like X-wing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Newburg
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mcgeeza wrote:
Looks great.

Have you tried swapping the leather and parchment textures? Can't help thinking it would look better the other way round, although the white text is very readable on the brown, so maybe not. You could make the stat circles look like cockpit dials if you want to add a bit of theme.

Also, icons look good, but maybe scale them down a touch inside the grey circles.

Thanks! Yeah, dials were actually what I was going for, but I didn't put too much time into it since it was just a mockup.

My idea for the card theme was parchment (old paper) sitting on a leather-topped desk. After I made the mockup, I have some better ideas on how I'd like to convey that. Gotta have some rules to play with first though ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Janson
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes! This is exactly what I have been waiting for. Please continue to post on your progress!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Dogg Rulzz
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I've got plenty of these aircraft collecting dust - your conversion might get them out so they can have some fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Minsinger
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oh man, this looks neat. I LOVED the old FASA game to death, and an X-wing conversion would work out great!

-Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Janson
msg tools
mbmbmb
Looked at the google doc, I noticed you were keeping the hexes for the game. I would encourage you to not do that and keep it an open game board like X-Wing. I actually don't have any hex maps, others may not either. It will be less constricting the preserve the movement the way X-Wing already has it, imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Newburg
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's still an open board. However, in order to properly base the Ironwind Metal pewter planes, I'm electing to keep them on hex bases and base the firing arc off of those. You will still use the x-wing maneuver templates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tervlon wrote:
Looked at the google doc, I noticed you were keeping the hexes for the game. I would encourage you to not do that and keep it an open game board like X-Wing. I actually don't have any hex maps, others may not either. It will be less constricting the preserve the movement the way X-Wing already has it, imo.

Keep the hexes! The rulers suck! This board will show that people are *still* arguing over how the rulers work!

There's plenty of people playing X-Wing with hexes:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/86817/hex-wing
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/82794/star-wars-x-wing-hex...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Newburg
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cauldronofevil wrote:
Tervlon wrote:

Keep the hexes! The rulers suck! This board will show that people are *still* arguing over how the rulers work! ;)

There's plenty of people playing X-Wing with hexes:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/86817/hex-wing
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/82794/star-wars-x-wing-hex...

I like the non-hex/rulers personally. The conversion is keeping the rules as close to X-Wing as possible and then adding in the CS flair. I'm certain it can be adapted to hex, but I'll let those that want it, do that on their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Janson
msg tools
mbmbmb
Azrael1415 wrote:
It's still an open board. However, in order to properly base the Ironwind Metal pewter planes, I'm electing to keep them on hex bases and base the firing arc off of those. You will still use the x-wing maneuver templates.

Ah ok, I see what you are saying! That's a relief.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Newburg
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So. I've gotten the basic changes listed out in the Doc. Just gotta work on the advanced rules and the biggest hurdle. The cards themselves. I'll prolly just start with basic planes first, no upgrades. Test it out and then go from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Johnson
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm totally up for this.

My brother and I have been scheming for ways to make a Fortune Hunters vs. Rogue Squadron battle royale (presumably in low planetary orbit somewhere ), both with the original FASA game and with the Wizkids version.

Any news on the project?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.