David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do these cards get discarded after use?

At firs I thought they would have, but after reading the rules again I don't see anywhere that says they do.

I have yet to play this but intend on doing so soon and was hoping to get some rules questions answered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Iirc, they all get attached to the user.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In general Tactics, Prayers, Items, and Spells cards are not discarded. These cards are all "attached" to members of your party (though you don't technically have to attach them until you want to cast/use them).

It's important to note that cards that say "Battle" may only be used once per battle, or Turn. So even if the fight goes multiple rounds, your Wizard may only use Spell ABC one time during that entire fight. If you chose to use him the next go-round he would have to use another Spell card, or just use his regular fight attributes. This is because a "Battle" lasts the entire duration of a "Turn". I actually completely missed that until a friend pointed it out to me. So I try to point it out to others now whenever someone is new to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

"This is because a "Battle" lasts the entire duration of a "Turn"."

Sounds a whole lot like how I ran battles in AD&D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Attaching is also an important concept because that's how you lose cards when heroes are killed or stolen by other players. Once you play the card you attach it.

There's some debate in my group over whether spells need to be attached to be available for use (ala classic AD&D memorized spells) that we haven't sorted out. Any thoughs on this topic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
Attaching is also an important concept because that's how you lose cards when heroes are killed or stolen by other players. Once you play the card you attach it.

There's some debate in my group over whether spells need to be attached to be available for use (ala classic AD&D memorized spells) that we haven't sorted out. Any thoughs on this topic?

I was going to say that you would have to attach it before the battle begins in order to use it. The back of the rulebook shows that Free Actions (which includes "Equip cards to party members") must be done at the start of the turn.

But I did one last check, and on page 8 under Card Text Definitions->Actions, it states that "When you use an action from your hand, you must immediately attach it to a character and then apply all of the action's effects".

To me this says that you can wait to attach it until you want to use it. So you could hold it in your hand, wait for a battle to begin, and on, say, Wizard XYZ's turn say "Okay I'm going to play this card", which then attaches to that wizard, and also applies its effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.