Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
You and me...We're in this together now...None of them can stop us now...We will make it through somehow
mbmb
Chits and storage aside, are there any particular issues with using the expansions with the first edition of SotM? I've been playing the first edition for seven or eight months and I'm ready for more. Unless there is some compelling reason associated with gameplay, I'd just prefer to spend my $26 on more new stuff, rather than to re-buy the core set.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Newman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya just purchase the expansions it doesn't matter what base set you have. You can actually play a two player game with just an expansion rules are included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just get new stuff, you'll be fine. If you can get your hands on the oversized villain cards that alone will allow you to play with the H mechanic, which is the main thing fixed with 2nd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
There are a couple of minor changes that were made to hero decks in the 2nd edition.

The ones that I remember off the top of my head are that:

1. Tempest's "into the stratosphere" was modified slightly in 2nd edition to exclude indestructible cards (in 1st edition, there's nothing on the card prohibiting usage against, say, Spite's drugs)

2. End of days was modified in 2nd edition so that cards with the "relic" keyword were spared...and Fanatic's equipment gained the Relic Keyword. In the expansion, Apostate (her nemesis) has similar relics and a card that mimics end of days.

3. Visionary's Wrest the mind was clarified and re-written slightly so that it couldn't be used on character cards (preventing some potential infinite damage loops and making the Villain card hit themself.)

All of these changes can be found at the GtG rules forums, and spiff has them all collected at http://www.spiffworld.com/sotm/.

Basically, if you are willing to keep the updates handy and do some homework, it shouldn't be a problem.

Or just wing it and have a great time debating the rules and figuring out what works for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
You and me...We're in this together now...None of them can stop us now...We will make it through somehow
mbmb
Perfect. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I noticed that GtG has pdf files that you can print to correct the cards. I dumped the revised rulebook onto my tablet.

The two player game hasn't worked that well, at least when I've played with one of my kids. Keeping track of two heroes is just a hassle for them and takes away from their immersion when they have to jump between roles.

That is a good tip about adding the oversize villain cards. I hadn't considered those, but if I don't have to pay for the EE, then why not, eh?

Overall, it seems like the changes aren't too bad to keep track of.

Thank you all for clarifying this for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Herrera
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play using only 3 heroes if you want your kids want to play as one and you take on two. I solo play allot and the thing I found to help keep track of everything is to use the chits that were included in the enhanced edition.

Since you have the original, I suggest finding the status markers under the print and play section of spiffyworld.com and use those to help keep track of status and of which effects are in which area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Braithwhite wrote:
2. End of days was modified in 2nd edition so that cards with the "relic" keyword were spared...and Fanatic's equipment gained the Relic Keyword. In the expansion, Apostate (her nemesis) has similar relics and a card that mimics end of days.

End of Days also got errated so that it was destroyed itself only after destroying everything else, a correction printed on the 2nd edition version. Given how timing works in Sentinels (nothing being truly simultaneous), before the errata it was possible to selectively destroy all the villain/environment stuff and then destroy End of Days before having to hit any hero stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketigid ketigid
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Braithwhite wrote:
There are a couple of minor changes that were made to hero decks in the 2nd edition.

The ones that I remember off the top of my head are that:

1. Tempest's "into the stratosphere" was modified slightly in 2nd edition to exclude indestructible cards (in 1st edition, there's nothing on the card prohibiting usage against, say, Spite's drugs)

3. Visionary's Wrest the mind was clarified and re-written slightly so that it couldn't be used on character cards (preventing some potential infinite damage loops and making the Villain card hit themself.)

All of these changes can be found at the GtG rules forums, and spiff has them all collected at http://www.spiffworld.com/sotm/.

Basically, if you are willing to keep the updates handy and do some homework, it shouldn't be a problem.

Or just wing it and have a great time debating the rules and figuring out what works for you!

Here are some other major changes.

4. Stun Bolt is reduced to damage reduction of 1 (instead of 2).

5. Staff of Ra regains 3 HP instead of increasing max HP. In fact, all instances of increasing max HP has been removed and replaced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.