Popular Tags: [View All]
Cameron Williams
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a copy of the Core Game to play with my wife, and I'm trying to decide what we can get out of it without any deck building. Obviously we've got the 4 pre-constructed decks, but neither of us is going to want to make our own down the road.

So two questions, are the Force Decks setup to be used as pre-constructed decks, and if not, what's a good way to find balanced decks to play against each other?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how we play.

Core set + the occasional game with the decks in the box. We enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasgo wrote:
...are the Force Decks setup to be used as pre-constructed decks

No. Things will probably get wonkier as you add Force Packs in.
Wasgo wrote:
What's a good way to find balanced decks to play against each other?

Well, there's the starters, but I don't think of those as balanced enough... very swingy. Do you like a lot of randomness in your games?

I can recommend 4 different decks based of objective sets if you like.

Important: do you have 1 core set or two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasgo wrote:
I bought a copy of the Core Game to play with my wife, and I'm trying to decide what we can get out of it without any deck building. Obviously we've got the 4 pre-constructed decks, but neither of us is going to want to make our own down the road.

So two questions, are the Force Decks setup to be used as pre-constructed decks, and if not, what's a good way to find balanced decks to play against each other?

I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to make a custom deck. Its so much easier than other games like Magic. Just slap together 10 objectives and go to town. You don't have to min/max them just to make them. It might be fun to draft decks. Layout the objectives for LS and each of you pick one you like until you both have 10 then do the same for the DS. Play then swap.

No - Force Packs are not intended to be playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have two core sets, these are functional decks... roughly balanced (the Sith/Jedi being a more balanced interraction and Rebel/Navy being second tier, but can win...):

JEDI (use Spies & Smugglers card)
2 A Hero's Journey
2 In You Must Go
2 Forgotten Heroes
2 Secret of Yavin IV
2 Questionable Contacts

REBELS (use Rebel card)
2 Mission Briefing
2 Fleeing the Empire
2 Rebel Fleet
2 Draw Their Fire
1 Mobilize the Squadrons
1 Tribal Support

SITH (use Scum & Villainy card)
2 Fall of the Jedi
2 The Emporer's Web
1 Heart of the Empire
2 The Bespin Exchange
2 Cruel Interrogations
1 Counsel of the Sith

NAVY (use Navy card)
2 Death and Despayre
2 The Ultimate Power
2 Imperial Command
2 Kuat Reinforcements
1 Take Them Prisoner
1 The Endor Gambit

The Navy is going to have the biggest problems, but as I said before, they can still win... it'd just harder. Also, note that these aren't ALL the best forms of each deck. Some of these (notably Jedi & Sith) were weakened by some inclusions, but the intenetion was to balance.

If you do buy the first Force Pack, you'd want to include 2 copies of the Navy objective included into the Navy deck in place of Take Them Prisoner and The Endor Gambit in order to bring them up to par.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have one core set, you can deck build and have fun, but I found when I only had one core set, the game was at it's best when mixing affiliations and cherry-picking the best objectives. This comes off weird and swingy and you may have problems matching resources, but I've found that if both sides are doing this, you can still have fun. It's worth knowing that the game gets exponentially better with multiple core sets. I'd recommend:

LIGHT SIDE (use Jedi affiliation)
A Hero's Journey
In You Must Go
Forgotten Heroes
Secret of Yavin IV
Mission Briefing
Fleeing the Empire
Draw Their Fire
Mobilize the Squadrons
Tribal Support
Rumors at the Cantina

*Questionable Contacts can be added in in place of Mobilize the Squadrons, but will make resource match signigicantly more difficult, but fun.

DARK SIDE (use SITH affiliation)
Fall of the Jedi
The Emporer's Web
Heart of the Empire
Cruel Interrogations
Counsel of the Sith
Death and Despayre
The Ultimate Power
Imperial Command
Kuat Reinforcements
Looking for Droids

*Bespin Exchange can be added in in place of Counsel of the Sith, but will make resource match signigicantly more difficult, but fun.

Alternatively, it's possible to just use the existing templates for the 8 objective decks (just put in every card of one affiliation + neutrals), adding in two neutral sets to each side. For the light side, you'd add Tribal Support and Rumors at the Cantina. For the dark side, you'll add Corporate Expoloitation and Looking for Droids. The benefit to doing things this way is you get to experience every card for yourself. The drawback is that it makes the game messier (in my opinion) and as swingy as it can possibly be.

One more option that I personally think is the best if you only want one core set: add to your core set the upcomming Edge of Darkness set. You'll have eight different objectives for each affiliation, so adding in two neutral to each will give you SIX different functional decks without the unnecesary objective sets like Looking for Droids. However, I can't spell this one out for you because Edge of Darkness isn't out yet. I'll update once there's a full spoiler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:

I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to make a custom deck. Its so much easier than other games like Magic. Just slap together 10 objectives and go to town. You don't have to min/max them just to make them. It might be fun to draft decks. Layout the objectives for LS and each of you pick one you like until you both have 10 then do the same for the DS. Play then swap.

This is very true. I have always been kind of turned off to deck-building in ANY game, since I have always had friends who just spent more money than I did and came at me with some rare-centric decks. Needless to say, my "starter" decks never really measured up.

But when SW:LCG came out, deck-building became downright easy and the LCG element means that I am ALWAYS on the same level as my opponents as far as components are concerned.

I also love deck-drafting. My buddy and I tried this once, and it actually turned out quite good. Sure, you could draft some awful match-ups, but it is still fun.

My point, don't be afraid to put the very little effort needed to build a custom deck. You'll find it quite satisfying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Williams
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hundreds wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

This is very true. I have always been kind of turned off to deck-building in ANY game, since I have always had friends who just spent more money than I did and came at me with some rare-centric decks. Needless to say, my "starter" decks never really measured up.

Easy, my wife won't want to play if it involves deck building. She loves it when it's organic like Dominion, but she won't agree to any sort of preparation to play a game, and even drafting would be a very tough sell.

Azgard12 wrote:
If you have one core set, you can deck build and have fun, but I found when I only had one core set, the game was at it's best when mixing affiliations and cherry-picking the best objectives. This comes off weird and swingy and you may have problems matching resources, but I've found that if both sides are doing this, you can still have fun. It's worth knowing that the game gets exponentially better with multiple core sets.

Quote:
One more option that I personally think is the best if you only want one core set: add to your core set the upcomming Edge of Darkness set. You'll have eight different objectives for each affiliation, so adding in two neutral to each will give you SIX different functional decks without the unnecesary objective sets like Looking for Droids. However, I can't spell this one out for you because Edge of Darkness isn't out yet. I'll update once there's a full spoiler.

These two options sound best for us. We can deal with random as long as one side doesn't completely obliterate the other, and we're always happy to do the pick a deck then swap rules.

For now, I don't see us buying another Core, but Edge of Darkness may be a good option if she ends up liking it. Thanks for the advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasgo wrote:

Easy, my wife won't want to play if it involves deck building. She loves it when it's organic like Dominion, but she won't agree to any sort of preparation to play a game, and even drafting would be a very tough sell.

Maybe your wife wouldn't want to prepare her own decks, as mine very likely would not. But why does that stop YOU from preparing the decks ahead of time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hundreds wrote:
Wasgo wrote:

Maybe your wife wouldn't want to prepare her own decks, as mine very likely would not. But why does that stop YOU from preparing the decks ahead of time?

Some people prefer to play games in a static format and I think the OP is just looking for direction on how to set things up. I know, for example, that when I played Magic, I just wanted a few constructed decks to use with friends. Creating your own decks opens a can of worms with balancing I didn't want to deal with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Williams
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hundreds wrote:

That would give me a significant advantage, as I'd know the strengths and weaknesses of both decks, as well as having thought about what strategies I would employ. I can't see that as being fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasgo wrote:
hundreds wrote:

That would give me a significant advantage, as I'd know the strengths and weaknesses of both decks, as well as having thought about what strategies I would employ. I can't see that as being fair.

Fair enough.

I was just saying that from my standpoint, I have created 4 different decks that I perceive as being fairly balanced against each other. It was my intention to do just that, so that I could feel pretty confident that if I handed one of my constructed decks to a newbie, I wouldn't be possessing any unfair advantage. Aside from experience in playing, that is.

But I also see Brady's point since I used to do the same thing with Mtg. I liked Starters. Anything more and I couldn't help but think that things were just getting a bit complicated for my play style.

I feel differently about SW:TCG because there is a definite number of cards available, especially at this early stage.

As a vote of confidence to the OP, I bought this game expecting to be able to play it right about of the box WITHOUT ANY Force packs or deck-building. It was NOT my original intention to buy any expansions or build decks. Although I have changed my mind on both those points because my interest has deepened, I CAN say that the Core set was quite perfect right-out-of-the-box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Engel

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasgo wrote:
hundreds wrote:

Why not then just tell your wife what you had in mind when you constructed the decks? Problem solved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D'Amico
United States
Milford
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasgo wrote:
hundreds wrote:

My daughter and I have played a lot of Warhammer Invasion. She doesn't like to build decks, so I build decks that I think will balance out well against each other. Then I tell her the general "idea" of what the deck she is playing is trying to do.

She can pick up pretty quickly what she likes or doesn't like about a deck and then I try and tweak it based on her comments.

And I think just knowing the strengths and weaknesses doesn't mean an advantage. You still each have to play the cards you are dealt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Keegan
United States
Whitman
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azgard12 wrote:

2 A Hero's Journey
2 In You Must Go
1 Forgotten Heroes
1 Journey to Dagobah
2 Secret of Yavin IV
2 Questionable Contacts

Is this actually a legal deck? Journey to Dagobah says 'Jedi affiliation only.' So could you actually use the Spies and Smugglers faction card with this objective? Guess I'm not clear on what it means by jedi affiliation only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
I miss my boy :(
mbmbmbmbmb
chainsawash wrote:
Azgard12 wrote:

2 A Hero's Journey
2 In You Must Go
1 Forgotten Heroes
1 Journey to Dagobah
2 Secret of Yavin IV
2 Questionable Contacts

Is this actually a legal deck? Journey to Dagobah says 'Jedi affiliation only.' So could you actually use the Spies and Smugglers faction card with this objective? Guess I'm not clear on what it means by jedi affiliation only.

No, you are correct. If an objective says "X" affiliation only, that MUST be your affiliation card or the deck becomes illegal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes, very good point. I don't actually use journey to dagobah, but changed things up for balance sake.

Sorry. You could instead just use 2 Forgitten Heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Anderson
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
That's true, it will give you an advantage for a few playthroughs, but after that it should balance out as she will know what is in your hand as well. Sounds like part of the problem is that she is not enjoying the asymmetrical game play and having to know both sides. I had the same problem with Mage Wars with my wife and I found not changing the decks up a lot to be a big part of trying to get that to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.