Marc Feuerstein
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hey Folks,
I am a beginner in Descent, and will play my first adventure as Overlord next week.

There's something not clear in the rulebook (maybe I just missed it).

When the adventure starts, must all the tiles be placed on the table at the start of the adventure, or are the tiles placed as the adventurers progresses (and discover the layout of the dungeon) ?

I have the impression, by reading the scenarios, that all the tiles of the dungeon are placed before move 1.

I have read some scenarios of the Descent Compendium (for the first edition), and there, it seems clear that the adventurers discovers the layout of the dungeon as they progress. In the scenarios of the second edition, it seems that all tiles are placed during the preparation step.

Same question for monsters. At what point do you "reveal" the monsters hiding in the shadows ?

Cheers,

T9²

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
The tiles are placed in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Pushkar
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmb
All tiles, i.e. map itself, placed at the start of encounter(2nd edition)/quest(1st edition).

In 1st edition map is divided on parts and only monsters/tokens/props on the 1st part are placed at the start of quest. Usually parts of map are divided by doors (except a couple of quests) and OL cannot spawn new monsters in the unrevealed parts of map.

In 2nd edition you set up whole map, i.e. map, tokens, heroes, monsters, everything that must be on the map at the beginning of encounter. Monster groups that cannot be activated are added in the Lair of the Wyrm expansion and is the only limit to OL activations.

P.S. Sorry for my english.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that nothing of a quest is kept secret - unless otherwise noted in the quest description.

Quest book p. 2 : "These quests are all written with the assumption that all players know all the rules and victory conditions - in short, unless
noted, none of the information is secret."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
This is one thing I think my group is going to miss about 1.0. We used to setup the map with only reveling areas that were closed off by doors, and once a door was open, it would reveal the next area. Was fun that way and more like a dungeon crawl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is nothing I miss from v.1 : I never played it and, after what I have read of it, v1 and v2 are very different, which makes comparison a difficult task.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Kopciuch
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think they are all that different.

Descent 2nd edition is more like Descent Lite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.