JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I played my 6th game of CoC. I learned the rules when I got it for Christmas. I've taught it every single game. I've played 5 out of 6 of those games with the same person.

Yesterday I found out you take all of your actions in a row. Not Player 1 takes his 1st action, player 2 takes his first, etc.

Wow. I am horrible at learning/teaching games. It's almost as bad as the time I thought you could only buy 1 city per turn in Power Grid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine it would be very hard to keep track of what cities have activated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Neumann
United States
Whitefish Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
In life you have to do a lot of things you don't f*cking want to do. Many times, that's what the f*ck life is... one vile f*cking task after another.
mb
That's alright...the time I taught it I forgot all about the icons on event cards, so we never had any barbarians, barbarian attacks, or depleted resources.

Not sure it was the only cause, but my group ended up not liking the game very much and I doubt I'll be able to talk them into playing again with the correct rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
Yesterday I played my 6th game of CoC. I learned the rules when I got it for Christmas. I've taught it every single game. I've played 5 out of 6 of those games with the same person.

Yesterday I found out you take all of your actions in a row. Not Player 1 takes his 1st action, player 2 takes his first, etc.

Wow. I am horrible at learning/teaching games. It's almost as bad as the time I thought you could only buy 1 city per turn in Power Grid.

Don't worry, you are not alone. There are many of us, me included, that are notorious rules readers. I am very well known by my gaming group as being the worst rules guy ever. However, I bring the games, so they little choice in the matter. I am terrible, though. I want to play, not read!

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey don't feel bad. I always forget to mention to people that the players can trade stuff amongst themselves. Always.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Noel
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Teamski wrote:
jgilmour wrote:

Don't worry, you are not alone. There are many of us, me included, that are notorious rules readers. I am very well known by my gaming group as being the worst rules guy ever. However, I bring the games, so they little choice in the matter. I am terrible, though. I want to play, not read!

-Ski

I immediatly tough of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9f1TYyvEx8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TeamSki, I'm the opposite! I love reading rules and really mentally getting the game state down before playing. I'll read a rulebook 3-4 times and enjoy it each time; I find it relaxing and it calms me.

Pulling out a game to play, especially solitaire (without other players to motivate me) and especially with a lot of bits, feels like work. Though actually playing games is a joy, trying to keep track of all the rules (especially when I'm the only one that knows them) can be irritating.

Finally, I cannot abide listening to someone else explain the rules to a complex game. One time, I played Mundus Novus (hardly the most complex game ever designed) with about 5 other people. The owner of the game explained it and everyone else got it. I was all but lost on the rules and strategy because I couldn't focus. So I read the rulebook while playing

The first time I played CoC, I played with other gamers, all of which had read the rules prior. Everyone was keepign everyone else in check and it was one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time. My third (and last) time playing this game was similar and it's one of the best games I've ever played. I can't wait until my next time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet your games will speed up. Separating the actions in my mind would really slow the game down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Rieder
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
Oh yes, I know what you mean. After the fifth play I noticed that you actually can collect from the tile, on which your center piece is located. And that barbarians only attack for one round. Made the game much harder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I sometimes forget to explain the rule that you cannot have larger cities than the number of cities you have. It's such an elegant rule which brings a lot of balance and theme, yet I sometimes forget. I always remember once we start though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Burns
United States
Centennial
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I somehow played 4-5 times before I remembered the Refugee rule. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a few times without using all the icons of the event cards - only the Barbarian ones. So I kept wondering when I'd get to use the little cross counters, and what they were for! Also, we never got the resource bonuses from the other icon that appears. I haven't yet played using the correct rules, so I've yet to see how big a difference this makes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Accident in your empire? You could be entitled to compensation!
Grainger wrote:
I played a few times without using all the icons of the event cards - only the Barbarian ones. So I kept wondering when I'd get to use the little cross counters, and what they were for! Also, we never got the resource bonuses from the other icon that appears. I haven't yet played using the correct rules, so I've yet to see how big a difference this makes!
These help provide balance for the bad luck in events that affect the player drawing them, so you get some reward before being dumped on!

Without this players would have far more to grumble about when they pull the nasty stuff (which they should be guarding against anyway) so you get a unique set of circumstances each game without anyone getting crippled by bad draws, only their own poor preparation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jkayati wrote:
Hey don't feel bad. I always forget to mention to people that the players can trade stuff amongst themselves. Always.

Yesterday was my 4th game, I taught it 4 times.

I learned this rule yesterday from someone else finding it in the rulebook

And I still forgot to take culture tokens for building temples and ideas for building academies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Some people, like the host, seems to have the same problem as one of my friend... Their brains seem to fill in information and take things for granted that they never read! Probably used to this format (1 action at a time) and start reading the rules with that in mind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:

I'm so happy you found that out before I played with you.

Remember that time you taught... any game, pretty much? Yeah, I think you had a rule wrong.

You've simply got too many rules in your head to too many games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe J. Rushanan
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Board Gamers Never Are
mbmbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:
I sometimes forget to explain the rule that you cannot have larger cities than the number of cities you have. It's such an elegant rule which brings a lot of balance and theme, yet I sometimes forget. I always remember once we start though

Yep, I walked by a game recently where it was obvious they were not playing by that rule. When I pointed it out, there was a universal "oops". FWIW, that single rule probably is worth at least 0.5 in my rating of this great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the first time yesterday and (for the first half of the game) forgot the rule about gaining a culture/mood token when your level goes up.

DOH! As you can imagine - things went pretty slow, and as a result, Ports got overvalued and there wasn't a whole lot of wonder-building going on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:

Heh. We made the same mistake for like two years in Civilization.

We used tokens to track, which cities had activated already.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
In my first (and only, so far) play, we missed the event card icons. Couldn't figure out how the barbarians would ever be a threat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaysachs wrote:
In my first (and only, so far) play, we missed the event card icons. Couldn't figure out how the barbarians would ever be a threat.

As I mentioned upthread, I made a similar mistake. I saw the barbarian-related icons, and executed those, but I missed all the others (the red crosses etc.)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Missing the Gold Mine icon can be killer, because the rest of those cards are particularly brutal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Young
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how we played our first game: Player A first action, Player B first action, etc. I think that happened because Merchants & Marauders follows that format (iirc) and we'd played that game the week before. I'd been trying to figure out a way to keep track of which cities had been activated when I re-read the rules before a second game and realized the mistake. Oops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jkayati wrote:

I forgot this one too when I introduced the game to our board game group last night. I'd only played one solo 2p game before this, so trading hadn't really come into play in that one.

We were also too busy getting our heads round all the other things you can do each turn to worry about inter-player trading as well! Maybe next time......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.