Subject: Environment turn question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike

Cincinnati
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was playing my first ever game. The environment was insula primalis and I was getting slaughtered. But I couldn't figure out if I was to use a start of turn ability on the environment card that I just drew.

For instance, I draw Volcanic Eruption and play it. I'm assuming I then perform all the start of turn abilities including Volcanic Eruption. So the question is when does the environment turn start. After I draw and play a card or did I start it by drawing the environment card. I'm confused partly because other cards say, "when this card is put in play" which obviously means they happen on the turn they are drawn (but then they only have a 1 time effect).

I'm pretty sure the volcano blows up in my face right away, but I was in bad shape and really didn't want to eat that 7 damage on everyone right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morcerf
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Yvette
badge
Colleen Camp
mbmbmbmbmb
The environment turn is made up of 3 parts: 1) Start of turn, where "start of turn" effects occur; 2) Play a card from the deck; where you would play a card from the deck (unless some other effect prevented that from being done this turn) and if it had a "when this is put in play" effect you would do that; and 3) End of turn, where any "end of turn" effects would occur.
Volcanic Eruption would not typically deal that 7 damage on the same turn it is played during the "Play" phase; you would have a chance to destroy it before the next "Start of Environment turn".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shanahan
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Start of turn effects happen before you draw and are triggered by cards already in play. So if there are no environment cards in play, there's no start of turn effects. So if in that turn, in the Play phase, you flip the Volcano. You're in the Play phase now, so its Start of Turn effect doesn't happen until the next environment turn.

[Ooops..David and I must have been replying at the same time!]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike

Cincinnati
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you both. I appreciate the timely replies. This makes sense and I did it wrong the first few times then pulled the Volcano and thought about it some more and decided I wasn't positive. I appreciate getting it confirmed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeMorcerf wrote:
The environment turn is made up of 3 parts: 1) Start of turn, where "start of turn" effects occur; 2) Play a card from the deck; where you would play a card from the deck (unless some other effect prevented that from being done this turn) and if it had a "when this is put in play" effect you would do that; and 3) End of turn, where any "end of turn" effects would occur.
Volcanic Eruption would not typically deal that 7 damage on the same turn it is played during the "Play" phase; you would have a chance to destroy it before the next "Start of Environment turn".

This is the crucial point - you have a chance to avert disaster if you choose to, often at the expense of one or more of your heroes taking a shot at the bad guy. Or, if it also harms the villain you may decide to let it go, let it tag everyone AND have more hero action to also add on the villain. So many strategic options . . .

In this case think of it as a warning temblor and a belch of smoke and ash - "She's going to blow!" - Does Legacy divert attention from Baron Blade to drop a massive boulder in the opening? Does Absolute Zero chill the magma into rock instead of taking out a few minions? Or do you double down on the villain, knock him out and jet to safety at the last second?

Ooo! The tension!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.