Subject: Gab the tourney fav - is it about sneakdoor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bingo Little
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Match scoring dynamics are special. Others have mentioned how archer, flatlining, or hb fast advance play into it. Archer eats your points. Flatlining may forfeit the corp's opportunity to score, and hb fast advance always tends to score "some" points which can be seen as advantageous.

I wonder if the rise of gabe to finals and tourney wins has to do with his ability to nab some agendas early almost all the time. First turn sneakdoor will translate into stolen agendas most of the time. Do a lot of tourney gabe's run 3xsneakdoor?

Nonetheless, I think the extreme advantage of gabe in tourneys is that even if he washes out late game, he's likely to walk away with muiltiple agendas due to early hq attack almost without breakers. This is unique amongst the runner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
I just think his cards are generally better than everyone else's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Benjamin

Maryland
msg tools
wedgeex wrote:
I just think his cards are generally better than everyone else's.

Yeah, mostly this.

I think Crim has got a lot of really powerful cards that synergise really well together to make the corp poor while steadily gaining money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason why Gabriel is popular in tournaments is because even beginners can win with him consistently. You don't have to be knowledgeable about the nuances that separate the gods from the mere mortals to be successful as Gabriel.

That translates into higher win-rates across the board which attracts the tournament players looking to maintain parity with every other entrant.

However, as can be seen, it's the true experts that can extract that 'little bit extra' who go the farthest.

Sneakdoor Beta is only one tool in the Criminal arsenal. If you're looking for a way to explain the strength of Criminal, I'd suggest understanding the advantages of playing Criminal before you go looking at any specific card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Henry
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, even starting out I "got" Gabe easier than others but still fell flat playing against more experience players. Taking time to break him down and learn how to use him effectively and my win rate with him has gone up. I've rebuilt my version of the deck I'm using so many times I've finally nailed one down that really works for me in a variety of ways.

Interesting though because I thought "Noiseshop" was always the big one to beat now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gabe (Criminal) has the best events. Its easy to build a good criminal deck, all you have to do is make sure you play the good cards. Its easy to play a good criminal deck, all you have to do is run a lot. And you'll generally at least score some points even if you lose.

For all those reasons, Gabe tends to do well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the skinny on Gabe.

Fact #1
Scoring more agendas than your opponent over a match can help break ties giving you an edge.
**this is the most fundamental basis for Gabe and I'll try to show the ways that Gabes early game threatens to score more agendas through its use of in-faction events.

Fact #2
Current meta has players focusing on defending centrals before installing remotes. This results in HQ being a common early nest for agendas until servers are built.

Fact#2
Gabe has fast in-faction access to HQ through Sneakdoor Beta.

Fact#3
Gabe has early in-faction access to servers without breakers via Inside Job. By pressuring servers without the use of breakers Gabe won't have to wait to draw or save economy needed to install and pay to break through servers.

Fact#4
Gabe has in-faction credit denial through Account Siphon. This can create situations where the Corps can not rez ICE due to economy.

Here's another more subjective analysis; which of these four cost influence is best for early game aggression:

Account Siphon
Morning Star
Tinkering
Personal Workshop

Take a look and compare the 3 cost influence runner cards as well. Test Run is excellent and certainly gave a boost to Shaper. However Gabe gets two cards that heavily sought after for the early aggressor. Sneakdoor Beta and Inside Job.

The only thing left to show is that the early game is when Corps is the weakest. 5 credit start and only three clicks. And HQ has a 72% chance of containing agendas in turn one (assuming 9 agendas in a 49 card deck). After early aggression HQ and R&D the corps is down to 0 - 3 credits. After turn 2 HQ has 78% at least one agenda and 28% of containing two agendas. If the runner has access to HQ in turn two via Sneakdoor 15% chance of obtaining at least one agenda in a five card hand (.78*.20) and a nice ~20% if there are only four cards.

Overall, until there is an alternative to nesting agendas in HQ I think Gabe will continue to be dominate.

On a fun note; how is this for meta change:
- I had a brilliant start as HB once where I emptied my hand in one turn via Shipment to Mirrormorph.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:

- I had a brilliant start as HB once where I emptied my hand in one turn via Shipment to Mirrormorph.

Playing a card thats only good turn 1?

Some great points on Gabe and how agendas will pile in the corp's hand early on, while the corp is trying to create and pay for central server defenses and is huddling behind them.

Here is my 'meta-change' solution (not mirrormorph)

Install cheap 'speed bump' ice on HQ and R&D early. Ideally costing $3 or less, possibly providing you money (Shadow/Popup/Caduceus). It doesnt need to end the run, it just needs to make the corp suffer economic damage to get in.

Install things right away behind cheap end the run ice in remote server. They can inside job you. Sometimes its an agenda, sometimes its a money asset/trap/waste of time. Hope to get a cheap thing in front of the end the run ice so Inside Job doesnt get in.

Since youre not burning all your money on expensive ice and then getting Shutdown, to can focus resources into powering a coupel agendas through the mini fort. If successful, you have lightened up the hand so its not a weakness, full of agendas. If unsuccessful, they scored the agenda from your remote instead of HQ. Thats basically the same. At least you tried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:

Quote:

Playing a card thats only good turn 1?

Some great points on Gabe and how agendas will pile in the corp's hand early on, while the corp is trying to create and pay for central server defenses and is huddling behind them.

Here is my 'meta-change' solution (not mirrormorph)

Install cheap 'speed bump' ice on HQ and R&D early. Ideally costing $3 or less, possibly providing you money (Shadow/Popup/Caduceus). It doesnt need to end the run, it just needs to make the corp suffer economic damage to get in.

Install things right away behind cheap end the run ice in remote server. They can inside job you. Sometimes its an agenda, sometimes its a money asset/trap/waste of time. Hope to get a cheap thing in front of the end the run ice so Inside Job doesnt get in.

Since youre not burning all your money on expensive ice and then getting Shutdown, to can focus resources into powering a coupel agendas through the mini fort. If successful, you have lightened up the hand so its not a weakness, full of agendas. If unsuccessful, they scored the agenda from your remote instead of HQ. Thats basically the same. At least you tried.

How does throwing out all your cards via Mirrormorph help if you're trying to protect Agendas? Gabe can just run them all, not care if access non agendas. Unless you're stocking Snares... But I wouldn't mind hitting one either if I had cards to spare and knew what you had down.

Meta change? Horizontal Jinteki. You only have to guard R&D well enough. HQ is both scary and managable.

Check this sight out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Teiler
Germany
flag msg tools
Tuism wrote:

Check this sight out

Holy...I don't even...geez.
Too bad you didn't seem to be able to finish the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Prahl
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's less about sneakdoor and more about inside job, that card is nuts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i didnt mean to make the meta the main point. but really wanted to showcase the cards at gabes disposal. i think in addition to early aggression the influence on each of these powerful cards show just stong gabe is. ... at four infleunce tinkering is hardly an inside job.

in regards to shipment from mirrormorph, its not just good turn one. its very strong after coming off a few turns of mining. and needless to say allows you to troubleshooter and ash while placing down agendas and advancing twice. ... but as i mentioned, its not necceasirly winnig its just fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
notyetsuperman wrote:

in regards to shipment from mirrormorph, its not just good turn one. its very strong after coming off a few turns of mining. and needless to say allows you to troubleshooter and ash while placing down agendas and advancing twice. ... but as i mentioned, its not necceasirly winnig its just fun.

I think its not even good turn 1, but I'll concede it sometimes useful then, to pacify the people who want to play that terrible card.

I dont think its ever strong in any circumstance ever. Rarely even playable. After a few turns of mining, installing three things for 3 actions is fine and doesnt require mirrormorph.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally speaking, I'd be inclined to say it is the full suite of events that makes Criminal strong. If you were to remove any one piece, the faction would be significantly weakened.

So no.

While Sneakdoor is good, it is far from the best card Gabe has and VERY far from being what makes Criminal so terrifying (those honors belonging to Inside Job and Account Siphon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Henry
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
[q="Tuism"][q="Alexfrog"]
Quote:

Check this sight out

Sorry he seemed kind of like a jerk - I am assuming he disconnected you :/

Kind of dumb for him to run like he did. He should have known better. Honestly, I've played a couple RP decks and wrecked w/ gabe but I run doppelganger which makes playing against RP pretty fun. Never had a problem with it so far. I want to try RP though, it seems like a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nonono, let me make it clear, it was a pleasant game, and it was lots of fun, he didn't disconnect me, something was wrong with my connection.

Doppleganger was a big problem for RP, so yeah, it would have been a hard game. What made it harder was that I didn't get ICE on R&D (couldn't) until he scored 2 agendas from it, and he lucked out on a random dive into one of my 5 face down remotes to fish out Nisei one hit - one turn before I was gonna score it with ToL.

And he was probing HQ because he had a Notoriety in hand, and that would have won him the game. Alas

I'm wondering if this deck needs Encryption Protocol, or if it works better with yet more stuff to trash

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.