Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a recent adventure with the First Doctor, Susan was killed (it was... a rather traumatic story). However, as Psitticine pointed out, she is a Timelady, and she can possibly regenerate, even if she's young.

I rolled for her on the Doctor's regeneration table, and got a 4, so I think she should regenerate.

Now comes the picking of new companion stats and traits for her. How should I go about this? It would seem a little too awesome if I could pick out her stats/traits, even if this adventure was so traumatic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BilboAtBagEnd wrote:
In a recent adventure with the First Doctor, Susan was killed (it was... a rather traumatic story). However, as Psitticine pointed out, she is a Timelady, and she can possibly regenerate, even if she's young.

I rolled for her on the Doctor's regeneration table, and got a 4, so I think she should regenerate.

Now comes the picking of new companion stats and traits for her. How should I go about this? It would seem a little too awesome if I could pick out her stats/traits, even if this adventure was so traumatic.

Do you use the Companion cards Simon has made? You could shuffle up some of them and randomly draw one to use as her stats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Mills
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have toyed with a "random doctor" generation scheme along the way. A variation might work as a suggestion for Susan:

1. Start with 4/4/4 qualities.
2. Roll 1d3+3 for number of additional quality points
3. roll 1d6 for each point, 1-2 Brains, 3-4, Brawn, 5-6 Bravery
4. if you end up adding X points (your choice of limit) to one category, eliminated it from further die rolls and assign remaining points randomly to other categories
5. Make a priority list of assignable traits
6. Roll 1d3. On a 1, she gets that trait. Stop when she has 4. If she gets to the end (unlikely, but more likely with the Doctor) start back at the top. If you roll the same trait again, she gets level 2 of that trait.
7. Roll 1d6, on 1-3 she gets screamer
8. Roll on the personality table twice

Modify the recipe as fits your taste, but I like the hint of not being in complete control (I know if left to my own devices, all my characters will end up looking the same...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Dean
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be tempted to regenerate her using a modified version of the Doctor's system. Her core stats would be considerably lower compared to her grandfather's, but I think that's quite reasonable considering she's supposed to be a child by the standards of her people and he's most definitely not.

The math works out if you start with Brains 5, Brawn 4, and Bravery 4 and then add 5 points just as with the Doctor. That would give her something similar to her starting stats but doesn't account for any kind of growth. It might be an interesting variant to let her mature by keeping any Quality points she earned through the expenditure of Luck or by in-game events. As I recall, the actress left the series because Susan never matured at all, so I'm sure she'd approve!

I'd mix up her personality traits as well, to represent the post-regeneration shifts in temperament. Either pick a set that makes an interesting persona, or roll them up to work some randomness into the mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.