Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Once more comment on Eagles game fields rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Eagles games is designed for the US market. Things in Europe are simply smaller, our kitchens, our tables etc.
If I would have a huge table and have the space, I would not complaint either. However, I think in Europe (and maybe other places) it is really an issue to find a gamegroup member living in a city who has sufficient space.

So I better get rich and buy the Eagles factory and produce smaller boards for their European clientele

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward F
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could just buy a bigger table or play on the floor. The boards are "that" big... ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, in Europe some of the rooms are simply too small to play their games in... I have friends who would not be able to play RRT in their lounge, whether they had a bigger table or played on the floor or whatever... with the sofa and the tv in, there would simply not be enough room for the board and a few players!!!
I'm fortunate, I have a combined lounge/dining room and a gate-leg table that's big enough to fit RRT on!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Eagle game are big for american table as well.

I know I needed to use 2 tables to play Conquest of the Empire.

IMHO they have gone a bit too far. The RRT board is horrible, its too big to see the other side and you still need a magnifying glass to read the score chart... why?

CoE has similar problems with the names of the provinces bing hard to read and both game have cards that are displayed that if you are on the other side of the board you will either have to get up and walk around or constantly ask the guy sitting by them to read them to you.

I am all for bigger is better, I think the games look great, but someone should have play tested both of these a bit more. 30% smaller boards would have helped a lot.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Sorbara
Italy
Venaria Reale
(TO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Living in a 100 square meters apartment, some friends consider me lucky...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the support from the USA. see also my previous article about Eagle Warping that caused the destruction of Rome prematurely...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I´m trying to get 300 years old, so now I´m a teenager
mbmbmbmbmb
I love those big boards from Eagle Games, every Gamenight I put a large (1 meter x 2 meter) wooden board on my table and even the Eagle Games boards fit on them and there is enough room for up to six people playing the games.

The worst thing of the Eagle Games are the rules ( except for RRT ) and that´s why we don´t play them often, or at least with a lot of houserules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Hunsucker
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After trying to play Conquest of the Empire on my 36X60 table, I decided that Age of Steam would be a better purchase than Railroad Tycoon because of size issues.

They stop being impressive once you try to play on them. Even though the board fit on my big table, there was no room for anything else. Nowhere to put pieces, or cards or anything else except at the ends, and then people would be out of the playing area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trenton
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr.Octopus wrote:
Living in a 100 square meters apartment, some friends consider me lucky...

Oh, my goodness. My research supervisor is German and has a house on an acreage, with a 'backyard' that stretches nearly 100 m from the rear of his house, which isn't entirely rare around here. He says that his friends back home basically have no concept of that amount of space.

My wife and I rent a house that has 4 entirely separate floors, which includes a basement and a head-height attic. And we're far from well-off financially. I don't know the measurement of the living area off hand. My dining room table is ~2.50 x 1.20 m. Railroad Tycoon's size is of little concern... In Saskatchewan all we have is wheat and open space! I guess that is the trade-off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Sorbara
Italy
Venaria Reale
(TO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trent, if that amazed you, consider this: when I've got married, we went to live in a 60sqm apartment! (still it was considered quite "large" by others laugh )

In America (and Canada) you have plenty of space. Here in Europe, and particularly in Italy, every bit of land is occupied by towns-cities-villages-industrial areas. If you travel by any highway, you'll rarely see empty land between two exits, apart from cultivated fields.

So, in towns space is expensive (more or less like in Japan, for what I know); more, here common people don't use to invest their money in stock exchange, prefering to buy apartments to live in, rent or resell (and so the prices rise). This is made easier because we are sedentary people, we don't use to move to follow job offers. Many of us are born, live and die in the same town...

And worst of all, we PAY big taxes for our owned homes, based on their measures and location! angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.