Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Defense
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't paint. At all.

But I love games with minis. And I hate that all the heroes in my favorite games, like Descent or Mice & Mystics, are all gray. Can't tell them apart. A dilemma.

But I was thinking of painting just the heroes ... with this twist: I'd paint them using just one color. So, in Mice & Mystics, for example, Colin could be red and Maginos could be yellow and Lily could be green, etc.

So my question is this: What's the best/easiest way to paint minis in one solid color? Spray paint? Or should I just use a paint brush and (lightly) slather them up.

Any recommendations on paint for this kind of job?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom D.
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would use a brush with a light coat of paint. If you ever want to come back and paint them up more, you're less likely to screw up the detail with a brush. I have been on the receiving end of too much spray paint, and learned an expensive lesson on some nice minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Use as little paint as possible, and make sure the paint is thin enough (add thinner if needed).

If the paint is too thick and hides details, wipe it off and try again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to do a dip after doing this just to bring out the details a bit. It's super easy to do just buy some Tudor Minwax polyshade from the hardware store & brush on the dried mini. Here's a great link with a youtube video tutorial.
Tutorial: The “Miracle” Dip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Defense
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
should I prime them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom D.
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the warhammer paints (mostly because I like painting warhammer minis and for some reason I feel like the paint is designed for that), and add enough water to make it the consistency of melted butter. Remember that you can always add more paint if it's spotty, but it's a ton harder to remove once it's dried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom D.
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbydee wrote:
should I prime them?

If you're just doing one color, I really wouldn't bother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Tom D. If you use a wash (a thin ink that will flow into the cracks and crevasses of the mini) then priming is a moot point. The minis will look good using this technique and since they will only be handled on the raised areas there'll be no paint to rub off there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B.
United States
Groton
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is to just tell them apart, you don't have to paint the whole thing. You can just paint the bases different colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Brennick
United States
Lewiston
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WrittenZero wrote:
If it is to just tell them apart, you don't have to paint the whole thing. You can just paint the bases different colors.

This was my thought exactly. If you like, you could use the dipping method or paint in some inks to have the details of your pieces stand out, and then you can paint the bases different colors to tell them apart. I bet they'll come out looking great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Defense
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh ... I like the base idea ... Anyone tried that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom D.
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not, but I would want to do that as opposed to painting the whole mini.. Really, I Know I'm harping on this but it's so easy to screw up a mini with too much paint, and then 6 months later if you decide that you actually want to invest the time in painting them fully you wouldn't be able to.

I think the base idea is brilliant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Millis
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also by mini poker chips of different colors and just glue the miniature to the chip. I just did this with my Room 25 figures so that I can tell them apart.

Of course it could be done with small wooden discs and paint, but I can use the leftovers for other games as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
td6211 wrote:
Really, I Know I'm harping on this but it's so easy to screw up a mini with too much paint, and then 6 months later if you decide that you actually want to invest the time in painting them fully you wouldn't be able to.

In that case you could just drop them in some Dettol or Simple Green, leave a day (or as long as you want really), then scrub them with some Dish Soap or Washing Up Liquid, rinse under cold/lukewarm water, and leave to dry thoroughly.

They'll then be ready to re-prime and re-paint.

In answer to the OP:

I would prime them, with a spray primer - just a really really light mist though - you don't need to cover every part of the mini's surface, just enough to give the paint something to adhere to.

Then, when the primer is dry, use well thinned down paints, and build the colour up over several coats (be sure to allow the first coat to dry before applying the second, and so on).

Painting is one of those things where less is more, because you can easily add more paint, you can't so easily take it away though.

And you can't get the paint too thin, but you can leave it too thick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom D.
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
td6211 wrote:
Really, I Know I'm harping on this but it's so easy to screw up a mini with too much paint, and then 6 months later if you decide that you actually want to invest the time in painting them fully you wouldn't be able to.

In that case you could just drop them in some Dettol or Simple Green, leave a day (or as long as you want really), then scrub them with some Dish Soap or Washing Up Liquid, rinse under cold/lukewarm water, and leave to dry thoroughly.

They'll then be ready to re-prime and re-paint.

In answer to the OP:

I would prime them, with a spray primer - just a really really light mist though - you don't need to cover every part of the mini's surface, just enough to give the paint something to adhere to.

Then, when the primer is dry, use well thinned down paints, and build the colour up over several coats (be sure to allow the first coat to dry before applying the second, and so on).

Painting is one of those things where less is more, because you can easily add more paint, you can't so easily take it away though.

And you can't get the paint too thin, but you can leave it too thick.

Dude, you probably saved a couple of my minis. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Virus warning
My anti-virus software detected a virus from the link in Melody's "Miracle Dip" link above.
No offense intended to Melody, but I thought others should be aware.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? Wow I didn't get any. I'm using AVG free though & keep NoScript on always. I'm sure there are a ton of other sites that have the dip method, there's even some tutes here on the geek just don't know where though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Millis
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Google search with the terms: (miniature painting dip method) come up with good results. The first being one on BGG, but the layout is a bit weird.

It's a pretty easy method and does have quick and great results.

BGG Link:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/43744/the-dip-method-a-ste...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use to paint my minis with a silver metallic, hit them with a thin wash of black to pick out details, spray them with a gloss coat then a matte varnish for durability and I put a little green felt pad on the bottom (covers up the plastic showing through on the bottom), it really made them all look quite sharp. I would use different metallics to show heroes vs. monsters/villains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Defense
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So merging all of this great advice, I still think I'd like to paint the whole minis.

Does this sound right: light spray primer, then light paint, then this Quickshade dip thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's (another?) vote for the Army Painter system (http://www.thearmypainter.com/).

Buy a coloured spray primer and hit your minis with it. Add a few base colours in different areas. Then dip in the shade and let dry for a few days. If you don't like the shine, get the anti-matte varnish spray.

They have some demos of 40k and Fantasy figures, but the method applies anywhere. Simple, easy, and good looking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bedford
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Definitely two to three base colors. Just one color will be boring. I like to make sure I use a metallic paint on them somewhere, assuming they have something metal to paint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kellen Feral
United States
Los Angeles - Mar Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
One Eternal Round
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you ever paint these? I'd love to see how a "simple" paint job worked out for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.