Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
paperROGUE is a game I made in two days, but the idea's been floating around in my head for a while. It's inspired by classic games like Rogue and Nethack, and also by a mental block I have with Solo Dungeon Bash (I can't STAND waiting to roll a six)

I tried to make the combat go faster than in Dungeon Bash, and also included one of my favorite bits from Roguelikes; Having to identify potions by using them. And even though the player has complete control over the direction the tunnels go, the possibility of Cave-ins makes them a little bit Labyrinthine, since some backtracking is required.

The Rules are Here. Since its inspired by ROGUE, I've tried to make the whole document look like something you'd download from a BBS in 1989. Best viewed with an Amber Monochrome Monitor ^^

And yeah, if you could play it, that would be great! I've only actually done the first two levels myself, and I'm sure there's all kinds of imbalances and stuff. Let me know about those, please?

EDIT: I've made a new set of rules, that focuses on giving the player interesting choices. It's less pretty than the first one, and I haven't copied over all the features yet, but it should be completely playable:

EDIT: the new ruleset is completely playable now. I played through the game a couple times, and everything seems to be working. The bosses may still need some tweaking, everything else is operating more or less as desired.

EDIT: Made some balancing changes to Monster Stats, redesigned the upgrade system (After I got six HP after using a Teleport Potion four times).

This is going to be my last update for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: paperROGUE - Unnecessary Solo Dungeon Crawl = Super Easy to Print and Play, Please Try!
I really like what you have going on for the potions. I think the only thing that really bothers me is this section:

"If the Attacker Wins, it hits the Defender, making them lose Health equal to the Attack divided by the Defence (Rounded to the nearest whole number)."

That seems like an unnecessarily difficult calculation. Can you give an example or two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: paperROGUE - Unnecessary Solo Dungeon Crawl = Super Easy to Print and Play, Please Try!
Here's my initial thoughts. Mostly negative, but that is because I haven't had a chance to play test. There are too many inconsistencies in the writing that need to be cleared up before play tests can happen. We can't play test a game for you if it isn't the game you intend for us to test! As such, a lot of this is about the rules, with a bunch on the mathematics behind your combat system.

Your Defense is unwieldy and super powerful. A character that takes only DEF as their bonus soon becomes invincible. Since characters level up every time they kill a new opponent, this makes it very possible that they can be too difficult to kill by the time they leave Level 1.

Lets say they meet only 4 creatures, which they manage to kill. They put 100% of their bonus points into Defense. With a roll of '1' on a d6 for Defense, they are only able to be hit on an Attack roll of 6+, which gives a Puma or Wolf a 50% chance to hit for 1 damage and a 10% chance to hit for 2 damage. That is ONLY when you roll a 1 on Defense, which will only occur 16% of the time. Your average roll will be about 4, which means a Defense score of 8. That makes it a 20% chance to be hit with a d10, and only a 60% chance to be hit by a dragon, which (as the rules are written) could only do 2 damage on a 16+, but could not do 3 damage at all.

You would have to go down 4 more levels (and then, of course, you would have 4 more bonus points) just to meet a creature that could reliably deal 2 points of damage (a Pirate), assuming you're only rolling "1"s. But, using only 3 of those 4 Bonus points you just received would make it impossible for anything with a d8 to deal ANY damage, and even when you took damage, it would only be 1 point. If you roll a 3+ (68%), you're immune to attack by d10s, and even the d12s would be immune to you on a roll of 5+. By the time you've got 7 Defense, a d12 only hits half the time, and never deals 2 damage. Even a d20 only does damage on a 16, IF you roll a "1".

As for the encounter rules, they say to roll 1d6 and add floor Level for the encounter chart. Fine, but there shouldn't be a "1," as you cannot ever get that result using your system.

Looting. A roll being doubles is 1-in-6 on a d6. Having either die end up as a "1" is a 1-in-6. Plus, you never address what occurs if both dice are 1s. Also, what is the protocol for a cave-in? You say "fill in the node," but what happens to the character? Also, which die do you use to look up the treasure you get when you're looting? Since you're rolling 2 dice, and we only get 1 treasure?

You never mention what "losing that phase of combat" means, in the combat section.

Does "POISON" ever end? Why not just have it kill you, then?

What does "Roll for loot with +1 D6s" mean? Does that mean roll twice on the loot table? Why not just say that? Or "Roll for loot with 2d6?" It sounds like you're saying to add 1 to the die, but there's no 7 on the loot table.

The Puma's ability is just "two health." What does that mean?

And, hey, how much health do monsters have?

Bosses seem OK, but they really aren't any worse than the Dragon. The Wizard is probably the most creative, though "Spell on Hit" doesn't make any sense. Who's hit? The Wizard's? Or does the Wizard cast a spell when the character hits him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
I really like what you have going on for the potions. I think the only thing that really bothers me is this section:

"If the Attacker Wins, it hits the Defender, making them lose Health equal to the Attack divided by the Defence (Rounded to the nearest whole number)."

That seems like an unnecessarily difficult calculation. Can you give an example or two?

I rewrote the passage, It looks like this now:
Quote:
If the Attacker Wins, they hit the Defender, making them lose Health. If the Attacker’s total his less than double the Defender’s, the Defender loses one Health. If the Attacker’s total is greater than double, the Defender loses two Health, If it is greater than triple, the defender loses three health, and so on.

Functionally this is exactly the same, but it should be easier to work out doubles and triples in your head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nomoredroids wrote:
Your Defense is unwieldy and super powerful. A character that takes only DEF as their bonus soon becomes invincible. Since characters level up every time they kill a new opponent, this makes it very possible that they can be too difficult to kill by the time they leave Level 1.

Lets say they meet only 4 creatures, which they manage to kill. They put 100% of their bonus points into Defense. With a roll of '1' on a d6 for Defense, they are only able to be hit on an Attack roll of 6+, which gives a Puma or Wolf a 50% chance to hit for 1 damage and a 10% chance to hit for 2 damage. That is ONLY when you roll a 1 on Defense, which will only occur 16% of the time. Your average roll will be about 4, which means a Defense score of 8. That makes it a 20% chance to be hit with a d10, and only a 60% chance to be hit by a dragon, which (as the rules are written) could only do 2 damage on a 16+, but could not do 3 damage at all.

First of all, thank you for pointing this out. I have a bad habit of designing Math-heavy systems on intuition alone, so I appreciate you taking the time to point out where I went wrong.

To fix this, I've changed the following:
Quote:
LEVELING UP ------------------------------------------------------------------

Whenever you Level Up, you gain One Health and One Experience. You level up when you:

* Enter a new Level

* Roll a six, two or more times during a single Attacking or Defending phase

INCREASING YOUR BONUSES ------------------------------------------------------
To Increase one of your Skill Bonuses at any time, you need to spend one Experience for each Bonus you already have in that skill, plus one.

With these rules, there's still the possibility of a high-bonus character early on, but it would require some stupidly lucky rolling. And if they're only upgrading one stat, a player is only guaranteed four bonuses by the time they reach a boss.

nomoredroids wrote:
As for the encounter rules, they say to roll 1d6 and add floor Level for the encounter chart. Fine, but there shouldn't be a "1," as you cannot ever get that result using your system.

Oops! Typo: Fixed!

nomoredroids wrote:

Looting. A roll being doubles is 1-in-6 on a d6. Having either die end up as a "1" is a 1-in-6. Plus, you never address what occurs if both dice are 1s. Also, what is the protocol for a cave-in? You say "fill in the node," but what happens to the character? Also, which die do you use to look up the treasure you get when you're looting? Since you're rolling 2 dice, and we only get 1 treasure?

I've made it more explicit now that you get a Treasure for both dice, and that either or both being ones will cause a cave-in. Also: I made the Cave-in rules a bit more explicit.

nomoredroids wrote:

You never mention what "losing that phase of combat" means, in the combat section.

I read over this again and I'm Pretty Sure I do. At least I do explain what Winning a phase of combat means, so losing means not that.

nomoredroids wrote:

Does "POISON" ever end? Why not just have it kill you, then?

My thought was that you could get rid of it, but only with a Cure potion. Obviously that won't be possible often, so I've made the ALL CAPS effects go away after a random amount of time.

nomoredroids wrote:

What does "Roll for loot with +1 D6s" mean? Does that mean roll twice on the loot table? Why not just say that? Or "Roll for loot with 2d6?" It sounds like you're saying to add 1 to the die, but there's no 7 on the loot table.

Fixed it to say "Roll on the Loot Table with 3D6" and added more explanation to the Loot Table itself.

nomoredroids wrote:

The Puma's ability is just "two health." What does that mean?

That means it has two health. All monsters have a default of one health, unless specified otherwise. I missed writing that before, it's in there now.

nomoredroids wrote:

Bosses seem OK, but they really aren't any worse than the Dragon. The Wizard is probably the most creative, though "Spell on Hit" doesn't make any sense. Who's hit? The Wizard's? Or does the Wizard cast a spell when the character hits him?

Fixed this, it now reads "Wizard Casts Spell instead of Dealing Damage"

Thanks again for putting so much time into this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...for some reason I was reading "If either side ever rolls a one" as "If either side ever rolls all ones." I think you may have changed this?

Here's a couple more questions.

What happens when you AND the monster roll "1"?

When you roll a 6, you get to roll another d6. Will you gain a level if that added die is a 6?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nomoredroids wrote:
Hmmm...for some reason I was reading "If either side ever rolls a one" as "If either side ever rolls all ones." I think you may have changed this?

Yeah, that didn't make sense, since usually you will only be rolling a single die. So I fixed it.

nomoredroids wrote:

What happens when you AND the monster roll "1"?

Monsters always win ties.

nomoredroids wrote:

When you roll a 6, you get to roll another d6. Will you gain a level if that added die is a 6?

Yes, that's what I intended
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love what you've done here, especially the graphical representation. I used to be a HUGE rougelike fan in college so I love seeing these ideas. My friend and I even made a paper rougelike like you have here. Ours was massive with a world map, progressive campaign and questing system and more. Keep up the good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot feel free to offer suggestions from experience!

I've added a Changelog to the document, because I keep making changes. (Usually while someone's reading the document, which must be annoying, I'm sorry!)

I played through a couple levels thismorning and adjusted the frequency of potions after drowning in them. (I got one of every potion by the time I was done level two.)

I also adjusted how your character levels up again, and increased the difficulty of some of the later monsters.

Once I have a stable core, I hope to add some Kits of different items you can equip at the start of the game, to let you choose between different styles of play. Here's a couple I had in mind:

Miner Kit:
Dynamite - Cause a Cave-in instead of continuing to fight Monster. 3 Uses.
Pickaxe - Nodes can have four paths going from them.
Canary - Roll for monsters in each unexplored direction before drawing a new Node.

Alchemist Kit:
Grimoire - Identify Potions when you pick them up
Humor tablets - Reroll for Potion effect. 5 uses
Pheonix Powder - Gain 10 health on death. 1 use

Thief Kit:
Smoke Bomb - Roll a D6 during Combat, win on a 6. 5 uses.
Magic Gloves - When Cave-in occurs, you still get treasure for the other dice.
Lockpick - Roll a D6 at a door. On a 3-6 go to next level. On a 1-2, lose Lockpick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

But a player with a bonus could roll a "1" and still roll higher than a monster that also rolls a '1'. This would not be a tie. For example, Monster A rolls a '1' for Initiative, and I roll a '1' for Initiative, but I have a +1 Bonus to Initiative. My result is not a tie (I got a "2"), but we still both technically have "lost."

Does this rule carry over to Defense? So that you are always hit when a '1' is rolled, even if the monster rolls a lower attack?

Sorry, I realize I have a lot of questions. Hopefully they are helpful and you don't feel beaten down. I'll actually have a chance to play this tomorrow (hopefully), and I'll give you something beyond rules explanation. The only reason I'm writing anything, after all, is because I like the idea of a short and sweet dungeon crawl/rogue-like, and I'm excited to see the finished product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sagar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm also working on a roguelike dungeon crawler. I'm not trying to hijack the thread, I just thought that with the interest focussed here I would add my quandry vis a vis development for rogue games in general.

The quandry I have is between two mechanics for potion aquisition - both designed to preserve the 'unknown element' pertaining to potions in the roguelike genre. My overall design isnt paper and pen based, its geared towards tiles, dice and cards.

Option 1

The potion cards are marked with numbers 1-12, in respect to identification difficulty and this value will contain an element of divergence for each potion type.

So the three potions cards associated with the rarest appearing potion type (12) won’t all be given identification values of 12. One would be 10, another 11 and the last 12.

Conversely, the 9 cards associated with potion type (1) would have identification values of 6x 1, 2x 2, and 1x 3.

When a player draws a potion object if the number featured on it is equal too or lower than their potion discovery count the player can make immediate use of the named effect on the card or place it in their inventory – face up.

When a player acquires a potion card, and the number on the card matches their potion discovery count exactly, their potion discovery count increases by one.

If the number on the potion is higher than the potion discovery count of the player, the player places the card in a pile denoting unidentified potions.

Alternatively, the player rolls the dice shown on the card. The result of this dice roll is then compared with a potion chart and the resulting potion takes immediate effect.

A potion placed in the unidentified pile can only be identified at a later time with an identify scroll, regardless of any increases to the players potion discovery count.

The magic user class receives a bonus to potion identification. Instead of requiring a perfect match in order to increase their potion discovery count they are allowed a range of + or - 1.

Advantages – A single marker can be used to represent the players’ potion knowledge instead of multiple markers. The potion cards can be held in the players’ hand, symbolizing an inventory, or on the table in a stack (which is tidier than lots of tokens scattered about).

Disadvantages – It doesn’t represent individual potion awareness. It requires a seperate potion role card or board (not a real big problem, but an extra requirement)

Option 2

The player draws a potion token from the pool of face down tokens. Having taken the token the player can turn over the counter at any time – to represent quaffing the potion.

After turning over the token, if the potion is of a type that has been used by the player before, the player can either use it immediately or place it back in their inventory – face up.

If the potion type hasn’t been used before then the potion takes immediate effect and it is then discarded.

A player can assign an identify scroll to a potion before turning the counter. If this is done then the player looses the scroll, in the event that the potion is unknown, and the potion can be used immediately or placed in their inventory face up.

In the event that the potion is of a known type, the player retains the scroll and they can either use the potion immediately or retain it in their inventory – face up.

Advantages – printing tokens would allow for extra tokens to be included on the sheet to represent known potions (which would be placed on a known potion marker board).

Disadvantages – once a player has collected one of each potion the “is it or isn’t it” element is removed from the game. The players will have stacks of different tokens – which would be alleviated to an extent by a restricted hold inventory allowance. Giving the mage class an identification bonus, to offset weaker combat skills, might not be as clean cut in terms of continued benefit.

I would appreciate any comments on the two proposed options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nomoredroids wrote:

But a player with a bonus could roll a "1" and still roll higher than a monster that also rolls a '1'. This would not be a tie. For example, Monster A rolls a '1' for Initiative, and I roll a '1' for Initiative, but I have a +1 Bonus to Initiative. My result is not a tie (I got a "2"), but we still both technically have "lost."

Does this rule carry over to Defense? So that you are always hit when a '1' is rolled, even if the monster rolls a lower attack?

Sorry, I realize I have a lot of questions. Hopefully they are helpful and you don't feel beaten down. I'll actually have a chance to play this tomorrow (hopefully), and I'll give you something beyond rules explanation. The only reason I'm writing anything, after all, is because I like the idea of a short and sweet dungeon crawl/rogue-like, and I'm excited to see the finished product.

Hey, no worries man. Having someone as nitpicky as you are go over the rules is a huge boon to the project. And I assumed that if you didn't at least like the concept of the game, you wouldn't be putting all this time and effort into it. Any chance I could send you another rulebook to look over someday? ^^'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't mind that at all. In fact, if you hear of anybody looking for somebody to edit/pick over their rule books, have them send me a Geekmail. I can't guarantee I'll get to it, but I will try. The rules should be completely written, though of course they need not be "finished."

To the poster above (I forgot his name...oops!), you should maybe start a new thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey BubbleChucks, I personally like option #2 better, it feels more like actually having a physical item to me.

To offset the disadvantage for the mage, allow the "Identify Potion" spell to level up into something more useful later in game, like "Identify Enemy Weakness" or "Trap Detect". Or just make certain potions not show up until later levels.

I reduced the frequency which potions appear in my game, because you could ID all of them by the end of Level 2.

Now go make yer own thread, Yah Freeloader!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sagar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Im leaning towards option 2 myself - its cleaner and simpler. The idea for handling the mage is to have identify scrolls in the object deck that can only be read/used by mages - for other classes its a useless object draw.

Freeloading over - im going to log into my BGDF account now so I can hijack your thread there (im joking)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried it out for a little while today.

Your system, while simple, requires a LOT of dice rolling, and none of it is tied to meaningful decisions. In fact, there really aren't any decisions to be made at all, save when you level up.

I thought forcing the player to use a d6 when all the monsters use a d8 or better was clever, though, and that saved me some dice rolling as I could roll monster dice & my own, but rolling for initiative, then attack, then defense each and every time was tedious.

To be clear, dice rolling is fine, but too much rolling becomes a chore, and when you do roll dice, it should be as a consequence of a choice.

Your first decision when you play the game is "which way do I go?" But this isn't really a decision, since each direction results in the same thing: a d6 roll on the encounter chart. Left, right, or center is all the same. This is my beef with nearly ALL randomly generated dungeons, though, not just yours. Every decision on the map is really not a decision at all.

You try to add importance to the map through cave-ins, which is a clever bit, for sure. That would limit options and force the player to find new paths for healing and to hubs and what-not, and that means the only way is through more encounters. This could potentially ramp up the excitement as you're forced to have encounters as your health dwindles. Unfortunately, the first Tavern shows up at level 3, which essentially means that for levels 1 and 2, the only real decision is to go forward until you find a door down, and until then, cave-ins are meaningless.

Also, in the current system, your exploration could lead to a cave-in after a hub, in which case you could explore back to another passage into that same hub. That's good, but that means if there is a second cave-in, you are locked into that hub and cannot explore any further, since your "nodes" only lead to 1 place. That is difficult to explain without graph paper, but I hope you get it. The basics of what I'm saying is that if you're going for simple, you just shouldn't include a map at all under the current system, as what you have really just boils down to "move forward until you can get out."

Here's a summary:

I think you should refine cave-ins, because they are a good idea, and if implemented properly could really rev up the game. If you don't want to do that, then I would say toss the map altogether.

Innovate with your exploration. Really, I think if you can make exploration meaningful, a lot of other things could be forgiven.

Refine the combat system. It is tedious as it stands, and not very interesting.

The reason Rogue and its ilk work is because the game is very hard, but rewards players for smart tactical decisions and exploration. I hope you don't give up based on my feedback. I think that you should continue to work on this game, and rack your brain for ways to present the player with difficult, meaningful choices in an easy to digest format. If you continue, I think you're going to come to the conclusion (as I did long ago), that the simplest games are often the hardest to make work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So I played a few games of classic Rogue, and I found some options that might translate well into my game. Let me know what you think.

* Running Away: I'm thinking if you win Initiative, you could have the option to skip that combat, and return to it later.

* Being able to see what you get: In Rogue, you can usually look at the monsters and treasure in a room and decide if it's worth it. This would be a matter of rolling for Treasure before combat.

* Projectiles: In Rogue you have a Bow, and taking down a monster like a Hobgoblin before it can touch you is kind of important. It's also a limited resource, so you can decide if it's worth your while to use an arrow. This could be based entirely on Initiative, as long as you keep rolling the high initiative, you're able to keep launching arrows.

* Different Terrain types: In Rogue there's really two, the tunnels and the rooms, but having rooms where you have the high ground that give you a bonus to your attack, or where you're in a tight corridor, which effects your ability to win initiative, that might be cool.

And I have an idea for a new dice-rolling mechanism that should help make the game more interesting:

The Monster rolls once, this is the number you have to beat. (There will be different combinations of dice for Attacking or Defending monsters, but it's a single phase combat)

You have ten dice that represent your health. You wager as many dice as you think you will need to defeat the monster, and roll them.

If you don't beat the Monster's roll, you lose all/one of (I'm not sure?) the dice you wagered. You would also lose each die that rolled a one. Attack/Defence bonuses are the number of ones you can ignore per phase of combat.

If you beat the Monster's roll, then you've defeated them, but if you don't, they roll again, and you have another chance to wager.

Obviously, if you lose all your dice, you're dead.

EDIT: I'm sadly, not going to be able to make any changes to the rules today, (Work Stuff) but once I get feedback on these changes, I'll try to get them added in over the weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starflier wrote:
So I played a few games of classic Rogue, and I found some options that might translate well into my game. Let me know what you think.

* Running Away: I'm thinking if you win Initiative, you could have the option to skip that combat, and return to it later.

* Being able to see what you get: In Rogue, you can usually look at the monsters and treasure in a room and decide if it's worth it. This would be a matter of rolling for Treasure before combat.

* Projectiles: In Rogue you have a Bow, and taking down a monster like a Hobgoblin before it can touch you is kind of important. It's also a limited resource, so you can decide if it's worth your while to use an arrow. This could be based entirely on Initiative, as long as you keep rolling the high initiative, you're able to keep launching arrows.

* Different Terrain types: In Rogue there's really two, the tunnels and the rooms, but having rooms where you have the high ground that give you a bonus to your attack, or where you're in a tight corridor, which effects your ability to win initiative, that might be cool.

And I have an idea for a new dice-rolling mechanism that should help make the game more interesting:

The Monster rolls once, this is the number you have to beat. (There will be different combinations of dice for Attacking or Defending monsters, but it's a single phase combat)

You have ten dice that represent your health. You wager as many dice as you think you will need to defeat the monster, and roll them.

If you don't beat the Monster's roll, you lose all/one of (I'm not sure?) the dice you wagered. You would also lose each die that rolled a one. Attack/Defence bonuses are the number of ones you can ignore per phase of combat.

If you beat the Monster's roll, then you've defeated them, but if you don't, they roll again, and you have another chance to wager.

Obviously, if you lose all your dice, you're dead.

EDIT: I'm sadly, not going to be able to make any changes to the rules today, (Work Stuff) but once I get feedback on these changes, I'll try to get them added in over the weekend.

Get to it when you get to it. Just don't abandon it.

I like your new ideas. All of them, actually.

I like the wagering of your health the most. You should consider making the monsters' number-to-beat a static one, as opposed to a die roll. This would require more work for you as you figure out the math, but would ultimately make for more reliably challenging monsters, as well as negate another die roll. This would also make a risk/reward evaluation when looking into a room more reliable. But maybe you enjoy the idea of the wild fluctuations that could occur with a monster's die roll. Both could arguably be enjoyable.

You're absolutely spot on with the projectiles: a Rogue-like wouldn't be like Rogue without them. And if you balanced the procurement of projectiles properly, it would make for interesting choices, too. Too many and that's all players will do.

I like being able to see what's in a room before you go in. This will necessitate a system for determining multiple exits from your rooms (or nodes, should you retain that terminology), which is something else I like. On the other hand, this will lead to players feeling the need to map out to each and every possible room before they go into any of them.

But most of all I like the wagering health. It is simple, easy to understand, and easy to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolling Twenty
United States
California
flag msg tools
Aaron has a lot of good suggestions. Also, if you're not aware there is a board game version of Nethack, the popular Roguelike. You might check it out and take some pointers from that as well.

I would also focus on the flow of the game. The game should flow smoothly and you shouldn't have to constantly stop and figure out what's going on so you may want to consider taking the best aspects of Rogue and leaving out the unecessarily confusing ones.

A Roguelike shouldn't be too easy but on the same hand it shouldn't be too difficult. You should start every game thinking you might win this time but be prepared for a totally random and surprising death...if you want to capture the "true" feel of a classic Roguelike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a quick-and-dirty file I made with the new ruleset:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eKfjCp3KWntWgEQt3bVUmeEV...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nomoredroids wrote:
In fact, there really aren't any decisions to be made at all, save when you level up.

I also got this impression.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
apeloverage wrote:
nomoredroids wrote:
In fact, there really aren't any decisions to be made at all, save when you level up.

Again, This:

Starflier wrote:

The whole focus of the new ruleset is to give the player meaningful options each step of the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starflier wrote:
apeloverage wrote:
nomoredroids wrote:

Again, This:

Starflier wrote:

The whole focus of the new ruleset is to give the player meaningful options each step of the way.

One comment "from the side" was the impression I have is that you assume players know what a "rogue-like" game is. I don't. I like dungeon games - one of my faves is The Sorcerer's Cave - but your rules seem to just toss the reader "into the deep end".

Maybe what would help - and would be simple (?) for you to so - is describe the first few turns of play (with diagrams!) in an example, covering all the key things that can/might happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, I played through the game last night and made some adjustments. The bosses are untested, everything else seems to be working spot-on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starflier wrote:
Alright, I played through the game last night and made some adjustments. The bosses are untested, everything else seems to be working spot-on.

The pages now don't seem to fit nicely; lines that should be previous pages appear on the next one - meanwhile I have created an edited copy so I could print it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.