Battles of Westeros» Forums » Variants

Subject: Has Anyone created a 4p senario? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Collins
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
That is to say, not teams. I am just wondering if there is a senario floating around that pits four groups against one another (Stark vs Lannister vs Baratheon vs probably the alliance groups banded togeather)

If not I may have to design one myself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Garcia
Mexico
toluca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do, please share your comments
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2v2 Tournament Skirmish is pretty freakin' awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SFRR wrote:
2v2 Tournament Skirmish is pretty freakin' awesome.

How do you do the tournament, maybe switch sides and see who gets the better overall results?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Scott
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I actually would be interested in a 3+ multiplayer free-for-all rules concept. If FFG doesn't come up with something we should all put our brains together here and just throw in some ideas for house rules that would make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Scott
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi guys, just want to know if anyone came up with some good ideas on making BOW a 3+ players free for all game (no allliances). Or if there's anyone out there who is eager on collaborating on making house rules for it. I do want to make my own rules but I would like input from the community.

Issues in having a 3+ player Free-For-All

1.Determining advantage and player turn order
2.The amount of Order Tokens issued
3.The amount of Command Tokens issued
4.The Morale track
5.Engagement tokens for Allied factions to stand alone

1.Player Turn Order

Suppose it can go clockwise starting from the person who has advantage. Only that the person who has advantage loses it in a tie during the Rally Phase to determine advantage. Though if three or more players are tied then the player who already has advantage keeps it.

2. Order Tokens received

This is tricky, the BOW core set only gives 10 order tokens of each type. So unless you go out and purchase another core set or self produce more tokens, this means that in a two player game the resonable max cap on order tokens received is 4. Say you kept a green shield order token from the previous round over to the next. You roll 4 dice to determine order tokens received. Result is 4 green shields, meaning you now have 5 green order tokens, and the rare instance your opponent has received the same, using the full compliment of green order tokens, with none left over in the extra pile. This doesn't really pose a problem in a 2-player game, you can even raise the order token cap above 4 by a couple. But in a multiplayer free-for-all game this limit in tokens could cause a problem. So unless you produce your own, there's going to have to be cap. What reasonable cap would that be? For now I have no clue.

3. Command Tokens Received.

Same problem as #2, there is a limited amount of command tokens which being 10. Perhaps a 3 max cap in a 3 player game, but more players the tokens will become scarce. So probably will have to find a substitute for having more command tokens.

4. Morale Track

Morale is a very important system to the game, but it caan't function exactly the same in a 3+ player free-for-all. Also there are only three house morale track, none for allied expansions, so one will have to be created for players exceeding three. On a House morale track there are ten spots (2 - 11). There's a few ways this can be played and my suggestions are these:

•You can use one side of the track giving you ten spots or use both sides giving you a total of twenty spots. You just flip the track when it decrease below #11 and turn over to the rout side (heads on spikes) starting from the top #2 spot decreasing back down.
•Each player's morale track is governed independently from the others with their own spot tokens. Starting position is #2 (on the non rout side if using all 20 spots). OR starting position is 11 on non rout side when using both sides,
•In case where using the full 20 spots, the army is only in the green and below when on the rout side and may only Recover Morale in the Regroup Phase on that portion of the track. The colours on the non-rout side are ignored.
•When player A eliminates an enemy unit of player B, player A's morale rises accordingly while player B's drops. Player C remains uneffected.
•When Player A increases or dercreases morale through order tokens or by some other ability, opposing players' morale tracks remain uneffected.
•If a player gets routed and eliminated, this terminates that player but doesn't end the game for the others unless that was the specific victory condition.

So what do you guys think? Any input is appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Vjestica
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I vote for full track and separate faction tokens. It's logical to have advantage in higher morale when you eliminate units. That is "+" and "-" sides of morale track and only one "spikes and heads" count (on the "-" side of track).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Vjestica
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As for the number of additional order tokens, I suppose it is governed by number of dices determined for the scenario. In most cases you roll 3-4 dices and can keep 1 from the previous turn. Similar is for command tokens I guess...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Scott
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like your idea of using the full track with each faction having their own token on it. And yeah the number of tokens shouldn't be limited by the amount the game has given you, limits aren't even imposed. So I suppose that if you want more order tokens, the catapult tokens would make a nice substitute, and those tribesmen tokens are similar to the command tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Scott
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also if the multiplayer game only involves the three main Houses, each faction can use the 10 standard leadership cards plus the commander's leadership cards. But in a multiplayer game there is someone playing strictly as an allied expansion faction, all players must only use their commander's leadership cards and not the standard 10 belonging to that House since ally expansions don't have a standard 10 in their leadership deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Vjestica
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Baratheon expansion rulebook explained multiplayer game but on very rudimentary level. However I have yet to receive the box so I'm not fully familiar with the content of it.

There is an illustrated post on BoW forum for multiplayer game attempt:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1001487/3-person-bow-review-...

The (un)official rules are quite sufficient for tweaking it into multiplayer game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Vjestica
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Baratheon rulebook didn't explain how Baratheon keeps it's morale track in multiplayer aside for normal 2 player game.
The morale (track) can have huge impact in the game so maybe it's good to consider it as tie breaker.

After reviewing Baratheon rulebook for multiplayer rules there could be quite a problem with the number of order tokens because all players have a choice to keep 1 from the previous turn. So, hypothetically, in 8 player game everyone choose to keep their unspent green token, which leaves only 2 for next round...

My printer will be happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chichiriba wrote:
Baratheon rulebook didn't explain how Baratheon keeps it's morale track in multiplayer aside for normal 2 player game.
The morale (track) can have huge impact in the game so maybe it's good to consider it as tie breaker.

The morale track is for the primary houses, i.e. morale is per team.

Quote:
After reviewing Baratheon rulebook for multiplayer rules there could be quite a problem with the number of order tokens because all players have a choice to keep 1 from the previous turn. So, hypothetically, in 8 player game everyone choose to keep their unspent green token, which leaves only 2 for next round...

It's not only order tokens. Another example are the command tokens: you have only 10 (from the core set), but in scenario 33 you need 24.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Vjestica
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
argwinkle wrote:
chichiriba wrote:

The morale track is for the primary houses, i.e. morale is per team.[/q]

I understand, but you have 3 teams (primary houses) and morale track for only 2 teams.

Quote:

It's not only order tokens. Another example are the command tokens: you have only 10 (from the core set), but in scenario 33 you need 24.
[/q]

exactly. What is "Scenario 33"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Vjestica
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok. I'll scan and make a file for extra tokens. Command and order tokens. Anything else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chichiriba wrote:
argwinkle wrote:
chichiriba wrote:

The morale track is for the primary houses, i.e. morale is per team.

I understand, but you have 3 teams (primary houses) and morale track for only 2 teams.

That's because there are no "multiplayer" rules in the official stuff. There are just "Alliance Battles" between two teams. The multiplayer rules are up to us

Me, I haven't yet thought about how to handle morale in multi-player. I have my hands full with a single opponent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Vjestica
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Uh, I overlooked the some of the first sentences :). Nevertheless, I'll try some of the ideas from these posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Vjestica
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Extra command and order tokens are approved. You can find it in the "files" section. As for morale markers use of control/objective tokens of individual houses are quite sufficient, I suppose.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/92783/extra-command-and-or...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Scott
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
^"files" section? Another thing, if an ally faction is going to stand alone it needs its own engagement tokens amongst other house tokens such as control markers.

Rules for morale tokens in free-for-all:
(If using the idea of one full morale track with multiple house tokens)
-Increase your own House morale token by one on the track
-Decrease your House morale token on the track by one to rally a unit
-Select a single opponent's House token to decrease by one on the track

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Vjestica
msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I would use engagement and control tokens of the correspondent primary house.
After looking at official rulebooks and content of the big boxes I think all the rules and components for 3+ teams variant are already provided plus printing those components in short supply.
Keep it simple.

Morale track and morale order token becomes critical in such variant I guess (as tie breaker and to determine who goes first), but I wouldn't use it just to decrease opponent's morale without a solid backing action like eliminating units (or control of objective or capturing commander...).

Also, I thought about "traitor" mechanic but have to play this "basic" variant first.

My 3 teams game experiment will wait a bit, because I didn't receive Baratheon box which should have been delivered yesterday.
The true chaos and carnage in "game of thrones" style is yet to come!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Scott
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have all the expansions, there are no rules for 3+ free-for-all, only alliance battles meaning 1 army vs 1 army. That's why this topic was made. If we make up our own house rules we can have Lannisters vs Starks vs Baratheons in the same battle. Utilizing allied factions on their own could create some confusion without having their own banners, control markers, and engagement tokens, plus no 10 standard leadership cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Vjestica
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I understand that. Never played alliance battle but from what I read in Baratheon rulebook I presumed the existing rules could be easily adjusted for this experiment of 3 major houses confronted against each other on the same battlefield with minimal effort and necessary additional components (some of them already available from official releases) to make it functional and enjoyable. Its hard to illustrate this without solid work and proof and I have to wait for my copy of baratheon expansion a bit longer.

I can produce graphics for these special components even write new cards but I have only watched the TV show...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dfg dfgdfg
msg tools
any news on this topic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.