Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Alexander
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The subject says it all to be honest. I'm looking for a good euro that has lots of player interaction and maybe even some direct conflict.

So many euros can be played without even the slightest care as to what your opponents are doing!

Suggestions please! All genres welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tigris & Euphrates
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you could call Discworld:Ankh-Morpork euro.

In any case it is a fun game with plenty of unexpected turns. Has cards, minions, money and buildings, and random events, that do not overpower strategy. Your secret winning condition needs to be filled at the beginning of your turn to win. Most require to control areas with your minions and buildings, so you want to assassinate other player's minions when you can.

Works well with all of the advertised number of players (2 to 4). Plays always just under an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansa Teutonica is what you are looking for. It has the most direct conflict of any pure euro I have played. Blocking and displacing other players is so integral to the game, you really can't play it nicely, which is why we enjoy it so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclades
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You probably should mention how many players, but Eclipse is a favorite for adding direct conflict into an empire building/resource management game for 2-6(9 with the expansion, but I don't want to know how long that will take. . .).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Twombly
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne can be played without any reference to your opponent, but if you think about it as a game of convenient alliances, it takes on whole new dimensions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Troyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carson City

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid

The auctioning of power plants is the obvious point of player interaction. But then there's the resource market, for which it is essential to know what resources your opponents are into. The city building/connecting also leads to some interaction - how much interaction depends on how much your group gets into blocking opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great suggestions already above!

I would add Alien Frontiers, The Manhattan Project, and of course Dominant Species to the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rtwombly wrote:
Carcassonne can be played without any reference to your opponent, but if you think about it as a game of convenient alliances, it takes on whole new dimensions.

I think this game is pretty confrontational especially if you throw the princess and dragon in the mix. It is a game of trying to weasel your way into cities built by other people while trying to screw them over stranding meeples in cities that cannot be completed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tammany Hall would be another good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Tigris & Euphrates

+1 Hansa Teutonica (boring dry theme, but gameplay is very good)

+1 Power Grid (try to learn it from a video as opposed to the rulebook)

-1Carson City (very fiddly and too much book keeping that interrupts the flow of the game IMO)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Berg
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancaster inserts interaction into the worker placement mechanic.

And try Olympus if you want to start a fight (an argument at a minimum, with possible fisticuffs as a bonus).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
What about the granddaddy of all euros El Grande

Honorable mention

Caylus
San Marco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Kemet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Alexander
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep em coming! Cyclades is already on order (big fan of Greek mythology).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery Loads of indirect interaction but also direct agression (you can actually shoot the other players pawns). Works well at all player counts, all from 2 up to 5, even 6 with the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pandora Pandora
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 for Power Grid. Lots of competition and opportunities to screw your playmates . You don't get bored when it's someone else's turn because everything they do affects you too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brain
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest Keyflower. There are some genuinely nasty things you can do to your opponents, some of which won't even occur to you until someone does them to you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seal Bludgeoner
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I second Carson City. People don't like the amount of luck involved, but that is often the result of poor planning. Don't let reviews by sour losers blaming their losses on dice keep you away from this gem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Several ways to go about it:

the school of loud:

Negotiation games
Intrigue is an euro which is said to be Diplomacy packed in an hour - said to be quite nasty.
Alcatraz: The Scapegoat - is it an euro? I think it qualifies. This is a game that feels like a co-op but it's a negotiation game. Plays best with 4 - you're prisoners trying to run away, but one person will stay behind. Now who will that be is a matter of serious negotiations and dirty schemes.

trading games - negotiation with no hurt:
Bohnanza (light), Chinatown (medium), Genoa (heavy) - they more or less feel like you're screaming at a middle east bazaar. The latter two have anything can be traded approach - they're not to be played with

stock market games - subtle partnerships in user generated economy. Talking is mostly in auctions, but I like them with negotiations as well (some say this is "variant")
Chicago Express - if you own a stock in a company you get to make decisions - like making it more profitable or ruining it on purpose or blocking another company. Depending on your portfolio.
Modern Art - pure auction game, but you will do better when you realise it's about partnerships and stock (stock being cards you get in your hand). A lot of ways of surfing on the groupthink.

The school of silent:

card games and blocking games:
Tigris & Euphrates - I'm calling it a card game, well, it's kinda like card game meets traditional boardgame and theme exists. Pegasus has a nice edition with 2 sided board.
Tichu - traditional cardgame style game based on Chinese climbing games. Played in teams 2 VS 2. If you like cardgames, this is one to get (and it's cheap). And if you want a 2 player game of this type get Haggis
Torres - abstract, brainburning, but I've got a thing for 3D puzzling. This is all about blocking and getting in the best position which is as high as possible. Silent, but a lot of elbowing.
Taj Mahal a card game with kind of auctioning, but it's also about building networks and bluffing. It's a game of chicken.
Carcassonne - you can play this nice or nasty and it's cheap and everyone who hasn't played it to death tends to like, so get it. It's tile laying with some stealing of points if you play it right. If you want to play it nastily there are 2 expansions made exactly for that: Carcassonne: Expansion 4 – The Tower and Carcassonne: Expansion 3 – The Princess & The Dragon

area control - as close as euros get to actually fighting, well sort of.
Small World - free for all fighting with wacky fantasy races - okay in the end it's just putting chips on the board and counting victory points, but it sure looks cute.
El Grande - I don't like it much, but it's a oldie euro with a lot of stuff going on, annoying other people is one of them.
Dominant Species - for me it's El Grande with better theme implementation and smoother gameplay which is also twice as long. If 3 hour games like this seem fun, go for it - I like Chaos in the Old World better.
Tammany Hall is said to be nasty area control game with good theme implementation. On my wishlist.

Is it an euro? - hybrids. For me the best of both worlds - theme and interaction of ameritrash with euro level of simple rules and smooth play.
Chaos in the Old World - looks like ameritrash and well it is, but it's area control and for me the best area control game there is. Asymmetrical powers and 4 players only (or 5 with expansion). The theme is either hit or miss (or well, I don't care what it is as long as there is one).
Cyclades - dudes on a map plus auctions. A game that gets better the more you play it. You must play and bid aggressively - it's all about ganging up on whoever is in front.
Survive: Escape from Atlantis! - ameritrash classic that is simpler and more elegant than most euros. And nasty as hell. Kids can play this and they usually can take it - it's adults that can't. Bash the leader game all the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that's a heck of a game collection Samo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Dudley
United States
Simpsonville
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
Now that's a heck of a game collection Samo!
Agreed... I just subscribed to the thread to use your post as a future reference of conflict euros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.