Popular Tags: [View All]
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started reading the Temeraire book series (no spoilers please, I'm barely one fourth of the book in), and something bothered me. The dragon hatched immediately knowing how to speak English.

I wonder if it was sentient and aware way before hatching or if it is one of its yet unexplained magical qualities such as instant wisdom.

That also lead to me wondering how do dragons in other works learn to speak any language. They don't read books nor do they order Rosetta Stone software.

Sure, you can say they learned it from wizards or similar figures that somehow dabbled in the Draconic dialect, but what about independent dragons that have never been enslaved or controlled?

Smaug talked too, right?

Well, if any of you can defend the before-hatching knowledge of Temeraire or explain how other dragons in other works learn our tongue, I'd appreciate it a bunch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that Smaug (and all other dragons in Tolkien's works) was raised by Morgoth/Melkor. Being taught to speak was probably part of the training.

Edit: I checked and am wrong. Smaug first appeared in around T.A. 2800, long after Morgoth was destroyed. He must have been raised by other dragons. Presumably they taught him to talk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than it being fiction and up to the author, I have no answer.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the questions are 1) how did humans and other humanoids learn to speak the natural Dragon tongue and 2) is our debasing of the Dragon tongue the reason dragons so frequently are grumpy towards humanoids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
A wizard did it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe humans learned the natural Dragon language, because it's English.

You're speaking Dragon right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dreadpirate wrote:

Right now, I'm eating some crackers. I guess the Dragon language sounds funny like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okami31 wrote:
dreadpirate wrote:

Right now, I'm eating some crackers. I guess the Dragon language sounds funny like that.

Crunching of Knight's bones approximated by snap of Saltines. It's all just punctuation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:
A wizard did it.

Oh sure, blame the wizards. Racist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Euroncrowseye wrote:
okami31 wrote:
I wonder if it was sentient and aware way before hatching or if it is one of its yet unexplained magical qualities such as instant wisdom.

Yes, it was. And there's no instant wisdom either.

I like your sea-worthy name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
okami31 wrote:
I started reading the Temeraire book series (no spoilers please, I'm barely one fourth of the book in), and something bothered me. The dragon hatched immediately knowing how to speak English.

The actual answer is that the dragons learn to speak while in the eggs. They naturally acquire languages at an accelerated rate, so a parent will speak multiple languages to the egg so they are fluent at birth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
okami31 wrote:

The actual answer is that the dragons learn to speak while in the eggs. They naturally acquire languages at an accelerated rate, so a parent will speak multiple languages to the egg so they are fluent at birth.

They do go into it in the books, so patience will be rewarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Geosphere wrote:
okami31 wrote:

Exactly this. You will learn more about this when they get to Africa (not sure which book that was).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I shall exercise more patience hereforth!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
When Elves can speak to trees, how Dragons learned to talk is kind of moot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Gola wrote:
A wizard did it.

Classist. Wizard is a class; dwarf is a race (unless this still 1st Ed.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okami31 wrote:

Reptiles and salty snacks are a dangerous combination....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Lets go Celts!
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:

I speak to trees, but I am no Elf. I wonder if I can speak to elves? I don't want to learn if I can speak to Dragons, that just sounds like it will end badly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:

While at highschool I was forced to go on an Outward Bound hike in the snow. After a while, I started talking to trees. Shortly after, they started talking back. Apparently I had hypothermia. Not sure how this helps the OP, but maybe you are hallucinating the books?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
gamedog wrote:
erak wrote:
Gola wrote:
A wizard did it.

Classist. Wizard is a class; dwarf is a race (unless this still 1st Ed.)

Loss of geek experience points.

Istari...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It helps when they are able to shapeshift. I can see a young dragon spending a year or so in a human city, picking up the language and customs, before coming home and sharing what he has learned (like places to raid that have lots of gold).

Another question is whether the dragons in your world are social or solitary. A solitary dragon who keeps to himself and interacts with other dragons as little as possible (or virtually never) has less use for language. The only people he is likely to talk to are the many people who unwisely think raiding a dragon hoard is a quick way to get rich that they can take advantage of. That assumes he wants to give them any warning before the inevitably barbecue.

social dragons, of course, talk all the time with other dragons and whatever other creatures cross their paths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
jeRm! wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:

I speak to trees, but I am no Elf. I wonder if I can speak to elves? I don't want to learn if I can speak to Dragons, that just sounds like it will end badly.

I have a "Knights of the Dinner Table" book somewhere in which Brian speaks Dragon in one panel; the other characters ask him to do it again, but he says he needs to wait, something about his trachea hurting too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a more important question to ask here: Why couldn't the egg he hatched from speak human tongue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
demondude777 wrote:
There is a more important question to ask here: Why couldn't the egg he hatched from speak human tongue?

Because the chicken was first...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.