Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've finally begun to find a gaming group thats meeting on a regular basis on Sunday nights now that Walking Dead is on hiatus. So instead of getting together to watch walking dead we are getting together to play board games.

So a bit about the group:
The group is rather large and can have anywhere from 12 - 25 people on a given week, so playing a single game fro everyone is somewhat difficult. Last night we broke into two groups which worked well except that one groups games finished rather quickly. The group ranges in experience from no experience at all to having played Magic:TG and Dominion all the way up to Agricola et al. Most tend toward the lower experience range.

Last night I introduce them to Last Night on Earth the Zombie Game which they loved except it took about 2.5 hours to play with a group of 6. Part of which is due to teaching and rule explanations and partly due to the fact I've only played once before so had to quickly remember the rules.

We've also played Werewolf and Sabateur which everyone liked.

So I am looking for recommendations for games for this group.

Criteria ----
--Try to avoid party style games like Say Anything or Telestrations - have these but just dont fit the mood.

--Must play between 4-6 or more.

--The more thematic and great looking art / components the better.
Playable in 60-90 minutes of less including setup and teach. Ideally 45-60 mins would be great.

Also any advice on working with a game group would be greatly appreciated. I love games and have a great collection to pick from, but am a complete newbie when it comes to teaching and helping others split into groups and enjoy the games.

Lastly if you see something from my collection that would work then great! Having spent a lot on games I'd like to keep the purchases to a minimum but am not opposed to purchasing 1 or 2 "must have" group games.

Thanks to this awesome community who I know will shower this post with advice and quite possible some ribbing....

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Mall of Horror
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bella
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do a "train theme" night, and break up into several groups. You already have several of the Ticket to Ride games, and some Railways.

Also from your collection, if your guests would like coops, Pandemic and Escape. For Escape, with 10 minute rounds, people could cycle in and out of the "playing spots" while others take a snack break and/or watch.

I also like Power Grid, which I think is more fun with more people participating in the auctions. While it may take some experience to get really good at this game, it doesn't take that long to explain the rules. You could have several tables going with different maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Mall of Horror interests you, but you have problems finding it, you can look for City of Horror which is a reimplementation of the game. This is indeed great fun but only if the players enjoy some serious backstabbing.

Another one which almost seems like a must-buy for your group would be The Resistance or The Resistance: Avalon, depending on which theme you like better.

If you enjoy Cash'n Guns you could also look for Ca$h 'n Gun$: Yakuzas (or a second copy of the base game for the gunsfather variant) to crank up the player number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaermo wrote:

Another one which almost seems like a must-buy for your group would be The Resistance or The Resistance: Avalon, depending on which theme you like better.

Yeah, I was thinking of picking up the resistance Avalon - especially because they liked Sabateur and Ultimate Werewolf so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, that was exactly my thought.

And I've just seen that you don't have King of Tokyo. Could be another worthy addition. You can explain it in 5 minutes, it plays quickly, supports up to 6 players and almost everyone enjoys playing a big b-movie monster

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Leidich
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had your collection I'd pull out these games and let people choose. Since you have a diverse group let them help you figure it out, the people who like heavier games will tend to gravitate to them and the people who like the lighter fare will probably find something that piques their interest even if it's unfamiliar. You may find some surprise hits.

Alhambra 2-6 players, fairly easy to learn.
Arkham Horror up to 8 players, long. (I see you also rate this highly)
Elder Sign maybe even pit one group of investigators in AH against the group in ES for some bragging rights. goo
Carcassonne 2 to 6 players with the expansions you have.
Citadels
Dixit 3 to 6 players
Escape: The Curse of the Temple as was mentioned above.
Unnamed Object 3 - 8 players
Lords of Waterdeep 2 - 5 players
Shadows over Camelot 3 - 7 players
Witch's Brew

+1 for train night redtraingreentrainbluetrain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like the Resistance is the best bet. Even though you didn't want party games, you might check out Cards Against Humanity for a twisted sense of humor. Also, Magic cube draft or sealed tournament might be fun or Android Netrunner tournament (swiss style tournaments accommodate lots of people and match up based on ability).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow Hunters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.