Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the Summer 1941 turn of my PBEM game as the Axis, and I've all but lost the game already.

On the second impulse of the turn I moved two Panzer armies to Vibetsk and had just taken Minsk with two more. I was going to attack Smolensk thinking at the time the two armies would be enough. Then my opponent played the Shock Armies card and deployed a 4-1-3 to Smolensk along with the 3-3-3 LUC that was already there. I should have known better than to press the attack.

But I did. I rolled badly, he rolled well, and both my Panzers were flipped. And overwhelming counterattack the next impulse destroyed one and flipped the other to a SUC. If I read the rules correctly, these units can never be rebuilt. The two armies that had left Minsk to prepare another attack are vulnerable to have the same thing happen to them next turn and there's nothing I can do about it.

As far as I can tell, Barbarossa has been repulsed. The Axis cannot win the game without at least posing a plausible threat ot Moscow in the early game. Now my Panzers are all but dead and never coming back, and I will be lucky if I'm still in Russia at all by winter.

I know what I did wrong, and trust me I won't do it again. but I have never seen anything like this happen in and East Front game I ever played. I must rank near the top of the list for all-time ineptitude.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
Washington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are you saying they are permanently eliminated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Schulte wrote:
Why are you saying they are permanently eliminated?

Because if I read the rules correctly a LUC that is completely annihilated in combat cannot be rebuilt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, they can be rebuilt AS LONG AS they were reduced to an SCU pulled from the reserve before being completely eliminated. Read 11.31.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Eliason
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
An LCU cannot be rebuilt if it was eliminated while out of supply or should have been replaced by an SCU but there was no appropriate SCU in reserve. In the situation described they can be rebuilt.

But losing two panzer armies that early is likely a death blow anyway. Only one can be rebuilt a turn due to the 2 step panzer replacement limit. Also, they have to reappear way back in Germany, requiring several OPS or a big SR to get back into action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.