Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume AUBRUN
France
LYON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hello everybody,

we just launched the kickstarter campaign for Chronos Conquest.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wittyeditions/chronos-co...

If you have any question regarding the game, feel free to ask here ! I'll be happy to anwser you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the pun (with Chronos and sand timers) but Chronos is not the titan father of the gods... If you meant Cronus/Kronos, then it is spelt completely differently and Chronos is a different mythological character altogether.

I think the title still works, coz it's a play on pronunciation and the use of the sand timers, but if you meant for Chronos to be the father of Zeus, then you need to adjust your spelling in any rulebooks etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume AUBRUN
France
LYON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
acklevoy wrote:
I get the pun (with Chronos and sand timers) but Chronos is not the titan father of the gods... If you meant Cronus/Kronos, then it is spelt completely differently and Chronos is a different mythological character altogether.

I think the title still works, coz it's a play on pronunciation and the use of the sand timers, but if you meant for Chronos to be the father of Zeus, then you need to adjust your spelling in any rulebooks etc.

You're absolutely right, and for some time the game was spelled Cronos. Then I read somewhere that already in the late Greek antiquity, people were confusing and merging Kronos and Chronos, so the mistake is not new. Therefore we decided not to worry and use the spelling Chronos (which is better because of the pun).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Nesbitt
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was drawn to this game because of the artwork. This is undoubtedly the most beautiful artwork in a game ever.
Maybe you could try and advertise more with It?
I really hope this game successful, its gorgeous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
msg tools
badge
Kicking Down The Door
mbmbmbmb
Hey,

This game looks awesome! I have a bit of a thing for timed play and the use of sand timers in this game looks right up my street!

I'd like to know a little more about the components before I lay down the hefty fee though.

The french game you've based this on just looks like a stack of cards and some cheap timers. Is this essentially what you'll be shipping? I noticed you've done an amazing job updating the art but I'd be begrudged to spend £40 on just a deck of cards.

So what are we getting? What's in the box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patricio Mendez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
"It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching."
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this game looks amazing. I found about the kickstarter through the Shut Up & Sit Down news article. I have one question:

Why such a high goal? $100,000.

According to Kicktraq you are trending towards $13k-14k. Yes you should take the trends with a grain of salt. But still.... I WANT THIS GAME TO GET FUNDED, it seems like the goal is pretty lofty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume AUBRUN
France
LYON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
thefounder wrote:
So what are we getting? What's in the box?

Okay, here is what you will get in the box.

- 1 board (Smallworld size)
- 15 sandtimers (material for 6 players, with 2-3 players we use 3 sandimters per player)
- 110 "basic" cards, for which you fight with your sandtimers
- 40 "God" cards, each one having a unique ability if you pay for it
- 12 "City" tiles, 2 of them being placed on the board for each game
- few wooden cubes, needed for some God or City powers (ideally, these one would be customized, e.g. the cube for Troy would be a horse)

blindpanzer wrote:
Why such a high goal? $100,000.

I'm the designer, not the publisher, so I don't fully understand the economics. But that's apparently what it costs, mostly because of sandtimers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Lucky
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I really hope this makes it to print! It looks so original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patricio Mendez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry but I have to rant...

I hate how the publisher is handling the Kickstarter campaign. I REALLY WANT THIS GAME!

I don't see how this game can cost 100k.

The way it usually works is a base of $20,000 for the goal is set. The price of each unit is set for this $20k goal and the more people pledge BEYOND the goal, the cheaper the production costs should be (with volume discounts and such). That's why the stretch goals unlock new items... because the margins are not so small at that point.

Usually people pledge money if they know that the game is going to get made. But by making the stupid decision of making it a $100,000 goal that means this game WILL NOT GET FUNDED. I can see plenty of people go to the kickstarter site, see that they have $3,000 of their $100,000 goal and not pledge... people don't like wasting their time.

Seriously mishandled. As a designer you should be angry that the publisher is making it next to impossible for this game to make it to shelves/tables.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard

Frisco
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blindpanzer wrote:
I'm sorry but I have to rant...

I hate how the publisher is handling the Kickstarter campaign. I REALLY WANT THIS GAME!

I don't see how this game can cost 100k.

The way it usually works is a base of $20,000 for the goal is set. The price of each unit is set for this $20k goal and the more people pledge BEYOND the goal, the cheaper the production costs should be (with volume discounts and such). That's why the stretch goals unlock new items... because the margins are not so small at that point.

Usually people pledge money if they know that the game is going to get made. But by making the stupid decision of making it a $100,000 goal that means this game WILL NOT GET FUNDED. I can see plenty of people go to the kickstarter site, see that they have $3,000 of their $100,000 goal and not pledge... people don't like wasting their time.

Seriously mishandled. As a designer you should be angry that the publisher is making it next to impossible for this game to make it to shelves/tables.

Yes, in case you're wondering if this blindpanzer is alone in his view, it is not. I clicked on your project as the artwork (always an attraction for me) was pretty good and I do like myth themes. I also watched the video and saw that the gameplay was interesting and unique as well but once I saw the 100k goal, I thought no way am I backing this. I don't see how 100k can possibly be what is required to produce this game as this range is usually in the low side of video games, not board games. You would have had much more support by now if you started off low and grew it based on stretch goals.

Anyways, good luck to you and your project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume AUBRUN
France
LYON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Pumpkinhead76 wrote:

Yes, in case you're wondering if this blindpanzer is alone in his view, it is not. I clicked on your project as the artwork (always an attraction for me) was pretty good and I do like myth themes. I also watched the video and saw that the gameplay was interesting and unique as well but once I saw the 100k goal, I thought no way am I backing this. I don't see how 100k can possibly be what is required to produce this game as this range is usually in the low side of video games, not board games. You would have had much more support by now if you started off low and grew it based on stretch goals.

Anyways, good luck to you and your project.

Yeah, thanks for the feedback. It turns out indeed that in this campaign, we did everything the wrong way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patricio Mendez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I received a project update from Kickstarter.

It seems like people who would want to pledge want to know;

-------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the simple reason why Chronos Conquest needs $100 000.

All the figures :

-Cost of printing : $65.000 for 3.000 units (we cannot print below 3000 units and we need 3000 units if the operation is successfull)

-All the packs will be sent free of shipping costs, so : $10 per box means $20.000 (for 2.000 packs)

-All the other costs for the realization of this project (mulds, illustrations, a container for the US, transport between germany and the port....etc) : $16.000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= $102.000

So as you can see, we won't make absolutely no money on this operation and we really need at least $100.000 in order to be able to make this project existing. And you need to know that we will take on our own the costs of all the commissions that will be quite huge :

-Commissions for Kickstarter, Amazon Payments and our US partner : $12.000

So that's why we need your participation. Without your pledges, Chronos Conquest won't exist in a US version, especially because of all the costs between France and US, and also because of the high cost of the game (its final price will be 50€, so $65. Sandtimers need to be of very good precision and we absolutely cannot take Chinese sandtimers as you may know in some other games. Here we need to take UK sandtimers and they are much more expensive and there is no other choice because here time is very important)

We hope now you understand why the goal is $100.000

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Castellon
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is not How it works anyway
+ the main page is not understanding. Top Many useless details, the entire rulebook, info on all the characters... You donnot provide such amont of unorganized info on a KS page.

Maybe they should inspire from crystal clear successful KS projects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.