Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an FYI.

The blue bar at the top of the page with the pulldown menues does not work well on pda's running microsoft OS and that version if IE (I have not tried on a palm). I believe its the code for the pulldowns (they get fully expanded). The rest of the site seems to function well enough. I know its a small issue but thought you might want to know about it anyway.

-Malloc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
On a related note...

If anyone has any suggestions for the best "mobile web" solution (other than a notebook computer), please share your thoughts. I've been thinking about getting a PDA of some sort, and I would love to be able to access the Geek wirelessly.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was rather happy with my Treo 600. It worked well, but is getting a little dated. I just got a PPC 6700 from sprint. The phone is neat and full of feature but costs a lot of cash right now. It also is a bit buggy for the price. I have crashed the thing a number of times and the battery seems to run down fast for no real reason.

I would also check out the new treo 700. It can have either palm os or MS os running on it. Older models of the treos should be comming down in price quickly.

If I were not getting these things from work for trial reasons I do not think I would spend the requred money on any of them. They have a shelf life of somthing like 6 to 9 months then they are out dated. At about 500 bucks a pop its just too much.

Some of the newer full featured (non pda) phones look to be nice I just have not tried them yet.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a Treo 650 and I like it very much. I'll probably switch to the 700 when my contract expires, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Deagan
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Funny, I just traded my Treo 600 for a PPC-6700. Geeks thinking alike.

I radically increased my battery time on the PPC-6700 by turning off wi-fi when I'm not using it, turning off auto-fetch for email (it had the nasty habit of waking up the phone to do the fetch while in my belt case and then friction caused the buttons and screen to get hit continually so that the thing was always on.)

I went from a half day to three days of battery life. I just use it a bit more manually than before.

BGG is fast with the EV-DO or wi-fi, but the menu bar thing is a pain. Opera and the mini-mozilla aren't quire there yet either.

my biggest surprise is how much software isn't runnable under WM5 yet. Apparently MS reworked some security and registry stuff that is causing a lot of developers to rewrite.

My games on the phone are:
Cities 1.0 - great puzzle using Carcassone tiles
Sudoku
Big Two - card game
Bubble Breaker
NetHack 3.4.3 - really good dungeon exploring
Pocket UFO - amazing!
PocketGNO Go
PPcAtaxx
Solitaire
Tomatl
Xonix

I'm still struggling to get either the Palm emulator to run (WM5 probs and may never be fixed,) or the DOS emulator to work well enough to play my DOS versions of Catan and Acquire (I miss Ack-Wire bad.) The DOS emulator may work once Nyditot gets their screen program wirking under WM5.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.