D. R.
Lithuania
flag msg tools
badge
Miss! Does no damage to Liquid Metal Slime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the story: when I first discovered this game, I felt it had really awesome mechanics and brain-burning decisions involved in game, so I just had to get it. The problem is - this game costs insane amount of money and is OOP. Not to mention I live in this barbaric wasteland called Lithuania, where it see's no light in technology advancement, nor a good selection of board games.So sad and heartbroken, I forget about spending 80+ pounds on this beauty and carry on living my regular life.

However, one day, walking with my girlfriend in the city, we talked about how in the past I used to go to this kids magazine editorial shop, where they had this very tiny and cramped office, filled with popular card games and cheap sleeve supplies. That was about it what they were selling back then, maybe 6 or 5 years ago. At first I hesitated to go there, but my god-blessed girlfriend talked me into doing it, so I said "what the heck, might as well see how they're doing and maybe get myself some card sleeves". So here I am, stepping into the shop and fall back into good 'ol memories. I notice they've started selling VERY mainstream board games (which most of them I hate) and got my eye caught in the most farthest and highest corner of the shelf. It was Lord of the Rings, but I couldn't read the rest of the name. The box artwork was different than the one I had at my place and a much bigger box might I add! And suddenly, my heart rate started pumping fast and I asked the silent clerk to pick it off the shelf and once it landed on the table, I thought I was dreaming. There it is, the gem I was looking for, at the place where you would least expect it! The shrink wrapping was all covered with dust, a few small hole tears here and there - definitely stayed there for a while. I immediately grabbed my wallet and asked how much - roughly 20 pounds (they had sales on it, with original cost going 37 pounds!). I pulled out my credit card, but the clerk said no - only cash. Cursing, I search the wallet for money, but couldn't find enough. I then asked for him to wait while I run to the ATM and pull out some money, but they said they were closing in 10 minutes! Of all the things to happen in my life!!!

Leaving the shop, I recall once more the last words of the clerk: "don't worry, no one will buy it, its been sitting here for ages...". Fine, but it was Friday and they would only start working on Monday, so I had to feel the agonizing pain for the rest of the weekend, wondering if no one will buy it..

Finally I arrived at the shop on Monday and stood frozen for a minute - THE GAME WAS GONE. I couldn't find it on the shelf and before I know, the clerk walks in and says "oh hey, you returned", I ask where's the game and he just looks at me like I am some sort of moron "its right here". Oh the irony, they kept the game on the table the whole weekend, not bothering to put it back into its original place.

I payed the cash, grabbed a few cheap sleeve packs and left the shop.

I felt victorious and I felt like a true treasure hunter!

The End.

P.S. I LOVE THIS GAME, so far we had some plays and all of them were awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful story. Thanks for sharing. Thanks indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
What a rush! Am I right?

Now you need to post that find (and the story behind it) here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/156287/your-thrift-storeba...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James River
United States
High Desert
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a fun story, making that game all the more valuable. Good thing you listened to you GF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Lithuania uses pounds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. R.
Lithuania
flag msg tools
badge
Miss! Does no damage to Liquid Metal Slime!
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
Lithuania uses pounds?

No, I just converted our value into pounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.