Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Arkham Horror, Mage Knight...Next EPIC solo game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy playing boardgames with others AND solo. With kids around, you play a few turns here and there, leave the game set-up, come back to it later, yadda, yadda.

I really enjoy both games (AH and MK) solo for their epic-ness. I love mulling my turns over with no one pressuring me. I like doing household chores while planning my next move. This really works with long, epic feeling games, not short ones.

What else have we got?

For comparison, I can play A Touch of Evil solo, but it is simplistic and plays fast. I want a longer playing game that may even have a narrative as it goes.

I'm not a wargamer. The closest I get is Memoir '44 which I really enjoy. So IF someone mentions a wargame, it would have to be something simpler than ASL, but I would much prefer something NOT in the wargamer genre.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would call a solo game of Legends of Andor pretty epic. Same with a solo game of Darkest Night (First edition). I certainly don't think there is anything out there now as epic as Mage Knight Board Game, but I've had fun with all three. I'm not familiar with A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game, so I am not sure how my picks compare, but I do think you should at least give their BGG pages a look-through!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played a few games of it this weekend but Sentinels of the Multiverse works really well as another co-op game that can be played solo relatively easily and drips with theme and story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Police Precinct quite a bit solo, very enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Menozzi
Italy
Reggio Emilia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myth is going to be an epic one, but only if you hurry up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
check out this geeklist, I am sure you will find something that peaks your interest:

Solo games that look as awesome as they are to play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vrass wrote:
Myth is going to be an epic one, but only if you hurry up!

Yeah, this is one I wish I had the extra cash on hand to get on board the Kickstarter. Looks like a very cool game. I play a lot solo myself so I really like the fact the baddies are controlled by AI rather than an Over Lord player like in Descent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Hornet leader: Air Carrier Operations? Seems abstract enough and I like the idea of the upcoming Cthulhu expansion.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Herrera
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Sentinels of the Multiverse as it really is a simple game that you can come back to whenever you need, but each game plays in about an hour or less if you take your time. It can be soloed, but I'm guessing your kids may want to play as superheroes as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson Crusoe might have to wait till summer though.. its been out but out of stock most places..

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island

i've not got it be hear good things, its on my want it list.. booked marked a little birthday money for it, but i better find it soon before my will gives in to something else ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Milarky wrote:
Robinson Crusoe

Probably the next best "epic" solo game to come out in a long time second to Mage Knight which you already own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eggroll20xd6 wrote:
I second Sentinels of the Multiverse as it really is a simple game that you can come back to whenever you need, but each game plays in about an hour or less if you take your time. It can be soloed, but I'm guessing your kids may want to play as superheroes as well.

I actually already own SoTM, but it is definitely not what I would call epic. The hour long playing time is proof of that. Epic, to me, means the game moves well but still takes hours to complete, like AH and MK.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Milarky wrote:
Robinson Crusoe might have to wait till summer though.. its been out but out of stock most places..

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island

i've not got it be hear good things, its on my want it list.. booked marked a little birthday money for it, but i better find it soon before my will gives in to something else ..

Just looked this game up and yeah, this looks really good. I love, love, love the theme.

Patience is now the key unless I get a trade.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agents of SMERSH is another great Solo/Co-op game it can be epic because of the encounter book and the way the story unfolds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin S-D
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
I actually already own SoTM, but it is definitely not what I would call epic. The hour long playing time is proof of that. Epic, to me, means the game moves well but still takes hours to complete, like AH and MK.

I'm going to make a recommendation that falls outside the bounds of your clarification above, but I'd still like to make a case for it:

Ghost Stories

Definitely has a shorter play time (most games take under an hour, even when you last long enough to win), but there's a whole lot of tension packed into almost every game. It's rather as if the tension spread out over an hours-long game of AH is being condensed into less than an hour, with a similar buildup to facing a Big Bad at the end.

I'd recommend you play it solo but playing all four monks. This will give you more than plenty to keep track of and to consider. You can follow your AH and MK pattern of playing a few turns (though turns are shorter in Ghost Stories, as well) then doing something else while considering many, many factors for your next move.

And this is where Ghost Stories might click for you: there's a whole lot to plan for in this game (and to adapt to when your plan is thwarted by a nasty ghost or other change in circumstances). I've found it helpful to take some time now and again to consider what to do next. (I play this exclusively solo, so I'm not annoying others with my cogitating breaks.)

As for narrative, Ghost Stories doesn't have the explicit narration provided in AH by the flavor text of cards, but this means it doesn't have the occasional non sequiturs that AH can throw at you. But I do think a narrative can be experienced in Ghost Stories, even if it's one told mostly in adrenaline.

And as it is quite likely your games will last well under an hour (especially at first, when you're losing early and often), resetting the game is quick and easy so getting another game going isn't a chore, and could fit very easily in the midst of doing work around the house.

That pretty much my two-cents on the matter. I'm sure I still have at least a couple more nickles worth of things I could say, but that's enough for now. But I will offer one more thing:

If you find this sort of shorter game works for you, it might open up more possibilities for what could feel like epic games that you can play while working around the house!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game & Mice and Mystics.

Want a shorter, but equally as challenging game? Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game

Want something EVEN shorter, but fun and a gateway filler for anyone? Zombie in my Pocket
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Crawford
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Add another vote for Sentinels of the Multiverse. I play it ALL the time with friends and randoms at the local gamestore, and everyone seems to love it (including myself).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mohrlock wrote:

Want a shorter, but equally as challenging game? Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game

Want something EVEN shorter, but fun and a gateway filler for anyone? Zombie in my Pocket

No, no. Not shorter or EVEN shorter. Long and EVEN longer, EPIC games.

Zombie in my pocket is an epic fail if a recommendation.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HotdogZanzibar wrote:
Add another vote for Sentinels of the Multiverse. I play it ALL the time with friends and randoms at the local gamestore, and everyone seems to love it (including myself).

Yeah, own it plus all expansions. And it does play better in a group, not solo...or epic...

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody is suggesting anything epic, really the best options for you are Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island or Agents of SMERSH though Agrnts is on the lighter side, the story telling is "epic" in and of itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
Mohrlock wrote:

No, no. Not shorter or EVEN shorter. Long and EVEN longer, EPIC games.

Zombie in my pocket is an epic fail if a recommendation.

Jorune

Then the first to selections are certainly for you. I know I like to have options when it comes to solo gaming, so that's why the suggestions were made. Take them or leave them, I don't mind
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Sangulin
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Look at Archipelago (be aware that you need Archipelago: Solo Expansion to play solo).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's tough to beat Arkham Horror or Mge Knight for the epic feel in a solo game. I have Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations currently on order and am looking forward to the Cthulhu expansion for it already!

Here are my suggestions (I enjoy the solo-ability of all of these games):

Defenders of the Realm
Mice and Mystics
Gears of War: The Board Game
Runebound (Second Edition)
Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game
Legends of Andor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
I play a lot of solo games, and I really like the epic games like you. If you want some games that take a while to beat, Thunderbolt Apache Leader and Gears of War: The Board Game are good choices. Some of the longer levels in Gears of War take me about three hours to get through. In Thunderbolt Apache Leader, I might spend thirty minutes just deciding which aircraft/pilots will go fly the next mission and what ordnance they'll bring. I don't even wanna think about how long I spend on an entire playthrough.

I'm not sure what it is you don't like about wargames, but Thunderbolt doesn't really feel like a wargame to me. If it's the theme of them you don't like, then by all means dismiss it. Otherwise, I'd recommend checking out A Lonesome Gamer's playthrough. It's posted on the game page.

Also, I'm really confused by all the "you should check out this game that plays in 30 minutes" responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin S-D
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LargeGoblin wrote:
Also, I'm really confused by all the "you should check out this game that plays in 30 minutes" responses.

I think my first reply probably contributed to this.

That, and some people's tendency to skim rather than fully read the whole discussion (original post, responses, and responses to the responses.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.