Subject: Suggestions for solitaire ONLY games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
N_O_ Y_B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello fellow 'Geeks!

I wanted to get some quick suggestions from the community in regards to good solitaire games.

The following are things I care and don't care for which may influence suggestions:
1. They have to be STRICTLY solitaire. I don't care for games that 'can be played' solitaire (like co-ops or when grognards suggest playing a two-player game solitaire...not that those are bad things, it's just that they don't float my boat).
2. I do not like abstracts (some type of theme is appreciated but my tastes are quite varied)
3. Shorter set-ups (less than five minutes) and play times (less than an hour) are generally preferred but are definitely not a deal breaker
4. Print and plays are acceptable, but I prefer games I can just buy. I don't have a printer and printing places can be expensive for what you get.
5. Finally, components don't matter too much. I mean, it's great if they look nice but even the more cheaply produced Victory Point Games look fine (in the pictures) to me.

If I've missed a STRICTLY solitaire games Geeklist let me know. Even having said that, I like to hear opinions on why people like what they like rather than just a listing of games (even if it's just a sentence or two).

Thanks everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteRider27 wrote:
If I've missed a STRICTLY solitaire games Geeklist let me know.

Well, there's this one on wargames, but you're probably not mainly interested in those since you want quick setup.

I'll mention Nemo's War. It's one of the best solitaire games I've ever played. The publisher, Victory Point Games, offers many other solitaire titles as well. The only other ones I've played are Empires in America and Levée en Masse; I think they're pretty good (especially the former).

I haven't tried Friday yet, but it's all the rage. Be sure to look into that.

Onirim is also supposed to be very good. Haven't seen it myself, though.

If you like wargames, you might look into Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations and other titles from Dan Verssen Games (DVG). I personally don't care for them, but you might.

You can also have a look at my GeekList of solo-friendly games. But you'll have to sort through to pick out the strictly solitaire games there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming you are not looking for games with official solitaire rules, such as Mage Knight Board Game?

What about games like Onirim and If I'm Going Down... that were designed for solo play, but have official variants in the rulebook for playing cooperatively?

The only solitaire-only published game I have played is Friday, but I'm sure there is more (especially from VPG). It's a good one, and in fact is one of my favorite games to play solo.

For print and play games, there have been several years of Solitaire Design Contests that produced some good results. I recommend searching for those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Field Commander: Napoleon - Setup is quick (assuming you sort the counters appropriately!), there are 11 scenarios. The game comes with campaign maps (strategic) and a battle map (tactical). It feels like you're playing against an enemy but it's a solitaire game. My first game, including rule checking, took me 3 hours, I can see games once I'm more experienced taking 90 minutes

This game is intuitive, it's not for the hardcore grognards, and plays great. Perfect balance of fiddliness, streamlinedness, and decisions in a solitaire game. There are other games which may be better but they have either more fiddliness through setup (Thunderbolt Apache Leader) or components, more of a learning curve (Fields of Fire), or longer playtimes (D-Day at Omaha Beach). FC:N just flows nicely and smoothly. It's great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced search works. See here, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ten Ways I Play With Myself (or my top 10 solo games)

My geeklist of solo only games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N_O_ Y_B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I'm already looking into 'Nemo's War' pretty strongly as I'm currently reading 'Twenty Thousand...' for the first time!

Also, thank you for the list to the advanced search. I swear, everytime I've tried to use it I never get what I want!

Also, especially thank you for the reasoning behind why you prefer certain games.

*And, as a further point of clarification, yes, I'm only looking for games that are strictly solo affairs and not ones that have official solo variants, even good ones like Mage Knight (which I already own). I guess part of my hesitation towards games with 'solo variants' is that I hate having to read through the rules and compartmentalize different sections (e.g., such-and-such only happens during solo, or this only happens in multi, or this modifier is slightly different...etc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteRider27 wrote:
I'm already looking into 'Nemo's War' pretty strongly as I'm currently reading 'Twenty Thousand...' for the first time!

I did that--read the book while waiting for the game to arrive in the mail.

I found the game a lot better than the book. YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to add onto my previous comment Hostage Negotiator. I think it's got a Kickstarter coming soon. I wasn't too warm on If I'm Going Down..., the previous solitaire game from the same designer/company, but I played an early prototype of Hostage Negotiator and thought it was a huge improvement. It has an interesting aspect of momentum that is unlike many other solo games I have played, where as long as you are doing well, things tend to continue going well, and you can keep the terrorist calm and start rescuing hostages, but the moment something goes wrong, everything begins to spiral out of control--hostages are being killed, and it takes a huge effort to regain the terrorist's trust. It represents the Hostage Negotiation theme quite well, I thought, and has a fairly unique hand management system. I might be wrong, but the publisher might still be accepting playtesters.

*Edited for stupid typos. "Excepting"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this geeklist:

Solo games that look as awesome as they are to play

Some of my favorites:

Agents of SMERSH
Ghost Stories
Elder Sign
Escape: The Curse of the Temple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

None of which are single player only.

LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Again, none of which are single player only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin S-D
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Onirim.

I note that you have Android: Netrunner in your games collection. Have you checked out the Cracking the Code (solitaire rules) thread? I've not played it, but it seems to be pretty well-regarded. I don't know if it would count as a strictly solitaire experience for you or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to get Friday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N_O_ Y_B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
kerningkev wrote:
+1 for Onirim.

I note that you have Android: Netrunner in your games collection. Have you checked out the Cracking the Code (solitaire rules) thread? I've not played it, but it seems to be pretty well-regarded. I don't know if it would count as a strictly solitaire experience for you or not.

Whoah, crazy! I hadn't even heard of it before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Gargoyle's Quest" Gameboy, 1990
mbmbmbmbmb
You could give Utopia Engine a try. It is a print and play game, but you only need to print out two black-and-white pages and find a couple of dice and a pencil. It is strictly a one player affair and takes about 30 minutes to play on average.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H.E. Pennypacker
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie in my Pocket is a fast free game. You would only need to print 2-3 pages. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/33468/zombie-in-my-po...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D-Day Dice
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island

Not entirely sure, whether these fit your view on "strictly" solitaire, as they can be played with more than one player, too, but in solitaire you do not control multiple players.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
Friday is pretty cheap and should get you a few plays. I know it's been recommended a few times already, but another recommendation never hurt. Well, unless you already said you don't want it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N_O_ Y_B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanee wrote:
D-Day Dice
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island

Not entirely sure, whether these fit your view on "strictly" solitaire, as they can be played with more than one player, too, but in solitaire you do not control multiple players.

Bye
Thanee

I did try D-Day Dice, liked it...but it just didn't grab me enough to keep it.

Thanks for the continuing recommendations everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
Any interest in the States of Siege games? I think all of those are solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you're not into Print N' Play, you owe it to yourself to check out the redesigns of Barbarian Prince and Star Smuggler that are available to download on their game pages.

You might also like Shadows Upon Lassadar games (there are 6, all made for solitaire), or some of the solitaire only Aether Captains games too.

And I second Utopia Engine as well. It's literally two sheets you have to print out, and it's a great little solitaire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Moffett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Friday
+1 onirim

Both are great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob DeSilva
United States
Levittown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where there is Discord filles the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
prashant Maheshwari
India
Mumbai
Mahrashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:

This is not fair,I play with myself only in one way and you have ten. Developing countries ,I tell you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N_O_ Y_B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
muaddib7 wrote:
Where there is Discord filles the bill.

Thanks, I hadn't heard of this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.