Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
http://gamerchris.com/2013/04/22/exploring-games-episode-11-...

Continuing with my ridiculous "every 6 weeks" schedule, I finally managed to get back onto the mic over the weekend and finish another episode! After working through tons of "recently" played games, my main topic for the show is an initial foray into exploring Game Mechanics. I start by trying to define what a "mechanic" really is, then contrast mechaincs to emergent behavior, and finally wrap up by trying to delineate 4 basic roles that mechanics fill in games. And then to finish off the show, I then review the game Santiago de Cuba.

Listen, enjoy (hopefully), and feel free to give me feedback either at GamerChris.com, via email (gamerchris@bellsouth.net), here at my Guild, or on Twitter (@kilroy_locke). I'd also appreciate any reviews you could give me at iTunes, which could really help Exploring Games to get more noticed.

Subscribe to Exploring Games either via RSS Feed or on iTunes

Time Index
0:28 Intro
2:43 Recently Played Games
3:12 - Kemet
8:30 - The Great Heartland Hauling Co.
9:34 - Tokaido
13:55 - Spot It
15:44 - Biblios
17:40 - Sails of Glory
22:00 - Gunship: First Strike
27:30 - Africana
30:28 - Indigo
34:00 - A la Carte
35:40 - CO2
41:28 Exploring Game Mechanics
47:55 - Game Mechanics vs. Emergent Behavior
56:00 - Roles Served by Game Mechanics
1:10:13 Review: Santiago de Cuba
1:21:15 Outro

Click here to listen, and head over to the guild to participate in the discussion of my ideas about game mechanics and to tell us about your favorite ones!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.