Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first Portland area tournament, and since I’m now in that area, I had to go.

Decklists:
Here are the decks I played:

Workshop Noise: 45 cards
Noise
3 Wyldside
2 Personal Workshop ********
2 Aesop’s Pawnshop ****
3 Armitage Codebusting
2 Liberated Accounts

3 Crypsis
1 Corroder
1 Yog.0
3 Datasucker
3 Parasite
3 Imp
2 Medium
2 Nerve Agent
2 Djinn

3 Grimoire

3 Stimhack
3 Sure Gamble
3 Déjà vu
1 Inside Job ***

This deck is similar to my prior post, with the last 3 card slots and 3 influence being put into 1x Inside Job and 2x Liberated Accounts, ideas I got from the Hollis version.

I decided that the main thing I needed was to guarantee that I don’t fizzle out due to not having money or a workshop (not being able to play things). While easy mark is an option for burst money, I like that the liberated account provides some $2 actions as well, at the cost of requiring time investment to get your money. Its also good against NBN where you need real money.

The inside job helps defend against early agenda scoring. Sometimes, if youre poor from playing Wyldside and haven’t gotten a Crypsis yet, the corp putting an agenda behind an ice and advancing twice is the worst thing that could happen. Unexpected Inside Jobs can be game changing.

As always, adapt the list to your expected meta.

For corp, I played:
HB Fast Advance (49 cards):

Haas-Bioroid (the good one)

3 Accelerated Beta Test
3 Project Vitruvius
3 Private Security Force
2 False Lead

3 Melange Mining Corp
3 Adonis Campaign
1 Private Contracts

3 Hedge Fund
3 Archived Memories
3 Biotic Labor
2 Trick of Light ******

1 Tollbooth **
3 Ichi
2 Rototurret
2 Shadow **
3 Wall of Static
3 Ice Wall ***
2 Viper
1 Enigma
1 Viktor
2 Popup Window **

Almost identical to the list I last posted. IN the meantime I have done some experimenting. I tried 3 Trick of Light, but I found that my problem when I lost was not generally that I couldn’t draw enough fast advance cards, but rather that I couldn’t get enough money to pay for defenses and fast advancing, in time. Popup Window helps this, because its both a free ice, and gives me money. It helps achieve the goal I want from my ice, which is to make runs uneconomical, enabling me to race, and it does it efficiently. I also really like the Private contracts, because its like another (slower) Hedge Fund that I get $1 to install, but when the runner runs it, its completely amazing.

My mixture of code gates (2 Viper, 1 Enigma, 1 Viktor, 1 Tollbooth), is a response to the fact that they all become basically worthless to different counters. But I want to have some code gates. Viper is countered by link, Enigma and Viktor by Yog, and Tollbooth is kindof countered by Femme. Enigma costs only $1 for a Gordian as last action, while Viktor stays at $3 against a Gordian, which is nice against Shaper. Basically, if I just played 3 Enigmas, a Gordian or Yog neuters them. If I play 3 Viper, rabbit holes make them useless. But this way if I draw 2 Code Gates, only one will be totally worthless .

The Tollbooth was a Neural Katana in my earlier version, and that’s a fine card as well (and cheaper). But its less expensive to counter. I think the Neural Katana would be better vs Criminal because then you have no big targets in the deck to Shutdown.

Also, regardings the 45 vs 49 card corp discussion. I choose 49 because it weakens early random accesses of R&D or HQ. It weakens the effectiveness of Noise mills. It makes it a bit more likely that I can perform a Beta Test with reasonable expected value. And I find that I dont have much trouble drawing enough agendas, usually.

The tourney report

We had 16 people at the tournament, the first real tournament in the Portland area.

Round 1 vs Wes (Chaos Theory / HB)

I played HB first.
He spent turn 1 getting an Opus, so on turn 2 I put out an Agenda behind Viktor, hoping he wouldn’t run it yet. He didn’t, and I scored the Beta test. Since at this point I had already drawn 3 agendas, I used the Beta test. It put a Private Security Force in my archives and gave me a Shadow, which I put in front of the Viktor. Maybe not a great risk but the odds felt in my favor.

He then decided to start making me rez ice, but ran into a Rototurret on HQ, losing Opus. This forced him to begin the slow process of Test Running for another Opus. (Better to run first before Opus, if youre going to run early as Shaper!)

I continued to draw agendas, and used a Biotic to score a Beta Test form hand. Having now seen 6 agendas in about 1/3 of my deck, I used the beta test again, this time getting 3 ice. Of course, in this deck that’s three 3 cost ice, but it still helps. I put them on R&D, HQ, and remote. I scored another Beta in the remote behind 3 ice, and then a Virtuvius from hand using the same Biotic, which I Archived Memoried. The game was over fast and he didn’t check archives for the Security force there. 7-0.

Playing Noise vs his HB, he mulliganed into a bad hand with one Ice which he put on HQ. I ran it, he didn’t rez, and I took a Beta from his hand. I ran R&D and got an Executive Retreat off the top. Some savage luck for me/unluckiness for him. Running R&D again I hit a Snare, which I remove. This causes me to start playing very cautiously.

We build up a while, and he eventually advances something twice in a remote with an upgrade and two ice. I stimhack in, pay for the crypsis from my workshop, break the ice, and run into a Red Herring. I cant score the agenda. He scores the priority Requisition and rezzes the Janus he had put on HQ turn 1, his only starting ice. I put out a couple more viruses and run his archives, getting the final 2 points I need for a win. 7-3.

1-0 Matches, 2-0 Games.

Round 2 vs Eric (Criminal/Weyland)

I played HB first again. My starting hand is Hedge Fund + 4 ice, one of the best hands vs Criminal.
I put a Popup on my Hand, Shadow on R&D, and Hedge Fund turn 1. I figure that since my hand has no agendas yet, I might get him to run through the popup a bunch. I quickly get an Ichi on Archive as well, in case the Sneakdoor comes out, and another Ichi in front of the Popup on HQ to make Siphon worse.

He gets a Djinn, Nerve Agent, and Crypsis. Virus Criminal. He doesn’t manage to score anything early, and my ice give me money if he runs, which is great against Criminal.

I score a PSF in the remove behind a couple end the run ice. He runs HQ as a 3rd click and I rez the Ichi.
He has to blow all his money with Crypsis to not get a trash on his Djinn. While he is broke, I score a Vitruvius in my remote.

He femmes an Ichi on HQ, and so I put another Ichi onto HQ (keeping the old of course). He spends his time building up money and then running thorugh my HQ, getting Nerve Agent counters. I let this build up because my hand has no agendas. I draw a Vitruvius, put it in the remote and score it after he is broke from a run through Ichis. Then Biotic a final Vitruvius later for the win. 7-0.

Playing Noise against his Weyland, I run early but hit Caduceus and Shadow. Annoying.
I parasite them.

We both then build up for a while. He gets a Hostile Takeover, then gets a mining corp and mines several times, while I install things on a Workshop and burn through an Armitage and Liberated Account. He installs and advances a card in a remote. I have about $15 and he has about $20. I put out Crypsis and Stimhack in. First is a Shadow. I let him take $2 and then beat the trace, which he makes cost 7. Second is Data Raven, and I eat the tag but beat the trace (which he makes cost me 10). Finally I Crypsis through an Enigma and take the Project Atlas. I clear the data raven tag and am broke, but so is he.

Next turn he installs a card in the remote and gets $2. I pawnshop my Wyldside, install a 2nd medium (had one already from Workshop), and start medium digging him. He cant pay for the ice on R&D. I hit two agendas and win. 7-1.

2-0 Matches, 4-0 Games.

Round 3 vs Dylan (Criminal / HB)

I played HB first again.
I started out keeping a 1 ice (tollbooth) hand, because it had no agenda and a couple Hedge Funds.
I draw a second card, put the tollbooth on HQ, and Hedge Fund.

He hits the Tollbooth turn 1, loses money, hits R&D, gets an PSF.
I get a couple ice, put one on R&D and one in a remote, and stick a mining corp behind it. (It was something little like Shadow I believe). He goes in and trashes it. I put out another one and this time get to use it once, then he goes and trashes it. I archive it and play it again since I don’t have anything better to do and he goes and trashes it again. I feel fine about this because it is buying me time to build up while keeping him from developing.

I had put 6 advances on an Ice Wall in front of R&D to keep him out, since I wasn’t drawing agendas. I finally start drawing them, and I score a Vitruvius with Trick of Light, archive the trick, and then score a Beta with it. I made the mistake of Beta testing since I felt I wasn’t seeing as much as Ice as I expected, but instead I dump an agendas and two non-ice cards into archives. He runs it and it puts him at 4 points. He then gets a False Lead off my deck to put him at 5.

I archive and trick another Beta Test putting me to 6 points. I’ve drawn another agenda in the meantime, and have a Biotic and money so I know I can win next turn. He gets through to HQ with a 25% chance at the agenda but doesn’t get it, and I win next turn. 7-5.
Note: Beta testing is often bad in this deck. Unless you are either desperate, or you’ve drawn much more agendas/less ice than expected.

Playing Noise against his HB fast advance deck, I get a slow start, taking several turns to get a Workshop, and then not having much money until I finally get a Workshop. He takes advantage and scores a Vitruvius, then a Private Security force (placed one turn, scored with Biotic the next).

He double advances an ice wall, which makes me think a trick of light is coming. I have Parasite on workshop, so I bring it out end of turn with a counter (grimoire), give it a counter start of turn, run it and kill it with a Datasucker off workshop. He then double advances another ice wall. I eat my Wyldside to give me 4 actions, Déjà vu a Parasite and Datasucker, play them, and kill it as well.

I then get out a couple mediums, stimhack for the money to pay for everything, and hammer his R&D. I medium dig for 3 and then 5, giving me 2 agendas. I play a couple more viruses and run Archives, finding 2 more agendas there to win. 7-4.

Dylan definitely was a strong player and both our games were pretty close.

3-0 Matches, 6-0 Games.

Round 4 vs Matt (Kate/HB)

Matt did well to get to this position with only one core set and one expansion! While Netrunner is nothing like Magic in terms of costs, it does generally cost the price of about 3 board games in order to be truly competitive. Given how much you can get out of the game however, I think this is fair.

I play Noise first against his HB.
Early on, he plays something and double advances it, behind two ice. I’ve been gathering money, and have an Inside Job, Yog, and Corroder in my hand but no Crypsis or Djinn. I figure it’s a Priority Requisition and its critical that I don’t let him get it, so I decide to play Corroder and Yog and then Inside Job in. He rezzes both ice and the second is Ichi. Sadly I have no clicks left so I lose both programs, but I get through. It’s a Security Force.

He is still poor from rezzing both ice, so next turn I run his R&D, get in and score a second Security force.
He scores a Beta Test, uses it and gets one Janus which goes on R&D. Having 4 points already, I go into full on Virus/Pawnshop/Déjà vu mode, mill a bunch, run archive, and find two more agendas to win. 7-2.

Playing HB against his Kate, and start with a Hedge fund and ice on HQ and R&D.

He runs both my ice turn 1, Wall of Static and Shadow. Shadow gets me a nice economic lead, giving me 2 and costing him 2 for the trace (Kate link). He puts out an Opus and then a Wyldside.

I put out a Wall of Static and a Beta Test behind it, figuring that he has $0 right now and is going to draw 2 with Wyldside, losing a Click. He just takes $6 and I score the Beta. I decide not to Beta test, since I have enough ice and feel good about the situation.

I put an Ichi on the remote and put another Beta behind it, and score it. He then puts out a Crypsis. I put an Adonis in my remote server and he runs through, spending lots of money. I put more money cards in the remote to waste his time, while he gets Pipeline, ZU.13 Key Master and uses a Special Order to get Battering Ram. By then I’ve got ice 4 deep on R&D and some money, and am just waiting for fast advance cards. He gets a couple unsuccessful runs through HQ and R&D, and then I draw the agendas I need, and fast advane them for the win.

4-0 Matches, 8-0 games.

Tourney Standings:
Of the 16 participants, here are the top 8 finishers:
1 Alex Rockwell 24 Prestige yay!
2 Eddie Ferrer 19
3 Dylan Botham 16
4 Matt Sargent 15
5 Levi Campbell 15
6 Bryan Blumklotz 13
7 Kyle McCollum 12
8 Isaac Kendrick 12

Of these players I played Dylan round 3 and Matt round 4.

First and second place got a promo Crypsis, and then everyone else who stayed for all 4 rounds got to draft (in position order) from all the promo Mining corps, the sets of counters, Netrunner deck box, etc. The first 5 places also got store gift certificates which was nice (they had charged an entry fee to cover this and the FFG prize support kit).

Thoughts on my decks:
Overall I felt great about both Workshop Noise and HB Fast Advance. Both decks give you a strong advantage over a typical opponent. They don’t require you to trick your opponent into a trap in order to win, and both have good inevitability, and both have a good ability to score points in losses. (Noise will mill stuff, and even if youre going to lose you can make a big archive run to score what you can, while HB even if it loses generally pushes out at least 2-3 agendas first. Playing decks in a tourney that won’t get 7-0ed is a positive, given the ‘silly’ official tournament structure that rewards aggro decks and scoring points.

I liked Liberated Accounts in Noise and Private Contracts in HB, since generally the worst things that can happen is you drawing no money cards and losing due to being inefficient, in both corp and runner. (I’d like another Private Contract in HB, but space is an issue as I already feel a bit light on ice, and drawing two at once isn’t ideal, since what you really want to do is play it and have them waste time running through to it).

The exact contents of those final deck slots probably doesn’t matter that much anyway. Whether you play 3 Trick of Light or 2 in HB, or what you spend the last few influence and card slots on in Noise, youre going to perform well overall in general once youre proficient with the deck.

With Noise, I feel like this deck requires a lot of practice to play well, and even then is pretty much impossible to play perfectly. It’s a very high skill cap deck, and it rewards skill significantly. A typical player will likely do better playing ‘standard criminal resource denial’, at least for a while, until they have become quite good at playing Noise. Playing Noise well is a tricky puzzle, since your options are so vast and you have many ways to win. I feel that in general you want to play it such that if the corp manages to build and rez large defenses on one central server, then you ignore that server (or if its Archives, only make one final run there to end the game, once it is very likely to be winning). Because you can attack all three centrals effectively (Medium dig / Nerve Agent + Imp / Milling), you are just finding the weakest point, weakening it further with parasites, and hammering it. However, in the hands of a Noise expert, the deck becomes very, very difficult to beat.

It was cool to see a tournament in my new Portland scene, helping everyone get ready for Regionals in a couple months!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gagan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report, Alex. And congratulations!

Given that you swept 3 HBs and a Weyland Tag 'n Bag what would you say are the things that give your Noise deck trouble?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mgagan wrote:
Nice report, Alex. And congratulations!

Given that you swept 3 HBs and a Weyland Tag 'n Bag what would you say are the things that give your Noise deck trouble?

I think HB does best against it and NBN second best. HB fast advance tends to score 6 and then lose, in my experience, playing both sides of the match against a good noise. But at least thats not terrible for HB.

NBN has tag threats that are annoying even if they cant kill you, because you are resource dependant (Workshop, Wyldside, Pawnshop). However, these threats slow you, not kill you, and you have Deja Vu as well. So you just have to make sure that you play such that you have lots of money, so that them killing something just is a speedbump, not you losing a workshop with 5 things on it.
If Noise can Imp away the NBN economy, and stop them from chaining astroscripts, youre in good shape.

Tag and Bag doesnt feel like a big problem if youre careful. I often Mill and/or Imp at least 1 scorched earth, and due to Wyldside you arent going below 4 cards at end of turn generally. This makes it hard for them to double scorch you. Also, if they give you Bad Publicity, thats really helpful for your workshop!

Against Jinteki, I never feel that in danger because Wyldside mean I tend to run on first click with 7 cards. If I lose cards I'm going to just draw and/or remove tags for the rest of the turn. I like to play out the most critical cards, run with 7 cards that its not the end of the world to lose. Jinteki games feel really easy to me, even if I slam into snares/junebugs. Secretary is a big scarier if they play it, but nothing you have is that important. When youre running an archives with a bunch of cards in it, nothing really bad can happen to you. So Noise scores on Jinteki more safely than most strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Keys
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Interrupt.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
When youre running an archives with a bunch of cards in it, nothing really bad can happen to you. So Noise scores on Jinteki more safely than most strategies.

This is why I'm hoping they reprint Stereogram Antibody (http://www.netrunneronline.com/cards/stereogram-antibody/). Between that and Hokusai Grid, you could make Archives runs a little more painful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skiesbleed wrote:

This is why I'm hoping they reprint Stereogram Antibody (http://www.netrunneronline.com/cards/stereogram-antibody/). Between that and Hokusai Grid, you could make Archives runs a little more painful.

They would have to do more damage than that though before it really effects you. I would love to see that card printed though. We need things that are counters to the Noise ability (but not ones that just completely nullify it. Thats a good middle)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subtle Salmon
msg tools
I placed second place, here is my report, a bit short because I didn't take notes and its all from memory.

1st Match

Gabe (me) vs HB:

HB opens up with ice on HQ and R&D. I open with a sneakdoor beta and sneakdoor run x3 to score 2 agendas for 5 points. Second turn I believe I open up with a run on R&D, no rez, and i get the last agenda for the win.

7-0 Win

HB (me) vs Kate.

He was playing a weird Kate with high link, Underworld Contacts, aesops, and doppleganger. I managed to push a PV with 1 counter through, and an ABT before he got his rig out. Then used biotic to advance an ABT out of hand. He had a good Makers Eye run to score an agenda and then had a huge turn with dopplegange/all nighter to run on my hand and score another. I tried to push the last agenda through the server, and he burned up all his credits to run it and steal it. but next turn i drew a PSF, installed it, and he was just short to get through, he took money and next turn i used biotic to advance x4 and score it.

7-6 Win

2nd Match

HB(me) vs Gabe

We start the game, and my previous opponent finds my agenda in his runner deck from last game (same color sleeves). We were on turn 1, but had technically started. So i forfeit the game.

Forfeit

Gabe(me) vs HB

HB was playing a 45 card fast advance style deck, Pretty straight forward play, I opened up first turn sneakdoor and got 1 agenda...And threw down 2 compromised employees and a crypsis next turn. followed by a yog turn 3 which allowed me to run on HQ/R&D which were both covered by enigma. Got some successful runs off of that, and more sneakdoor beta runs (archives was only covered with viper and i had 2x compromised employees out). He managed to push 2 agendas, one out of hand with biotic and one off his remote, which wasnt very solid as i had started preassuring all 3 centrals pretty hard. scored all agendas out of hand, and 1 makers eye.

7-4. Win

3rd Match

HB (me) vs Noise

Personal workshop, He got workshop and wyldside out pretty fast, he made an early run into archive with only 3 facedown cards after getting his crypsis out, getting nothing. I managed to push an agenda through behind a tollbooth. He made a stimhack run to steal the next agenda i was trying to push through, behind a tollbooth, And later made a run on HQ and ran into a snare, which allowed me to nuke a personal workshop with several things installed on it. I managed to push another agenda through, my fort was toolbooth/heimdall unrezzed and icewall if i recall. I didnt see any agendas for a little bit after that. My hand was pretty much wide open with only 1 ice, but i made sure to never keep an agenda in hand. A later archives run was unsuccessful and i used a PV counter to save an agenda. Scored my third agenda out of hand. In the end it was 6-6 and i installed a snare in my fort, which he had to run on his last click, fearing the end of the game. I had just enough money to rez either a heimdall or pay for the snare (11 credits i think). With a biotic labor in hand. I almost opted for the snare, but even with biotic labor i would've only been able to do 4 damage he would've ended the turn with 4 cards, so it wouldn't have killed him. i chose to rez the heimdall, he broke through, burning a lot of his money and then next turn i installed PSF, money money, and he recovered (he had also lost his crypsis in the last run), and then back to me to biotic the PSF for the win. Definitely the tighest game.

7-6 win.

Gabe(me) vs Jinteki PE

Pretty standard play, i played cautiously, jacking out after neural katana on HQ, not really running his hand. Ran on everything that was advanced and scored a PSF like that as well a false lead, and a makers eye to score a fetal ai, he scored a braintrust that i didnt run on. After that the round time was up and we couldn't finish the game, it was 5-2.

5-2 Time

4th Match

HB (me) vs CT

He tried to put early preassure on and i believe i had an ice wall on R&D. On the second runner turn, he played snowball and ran r&d makers eyed into R&D only to run into a snare which pulled a gordian/test run/magnum from his hand, after that i pushed my agendas through the fort pretty easily as it took him a while to recover those key cards.

7-0 Win

Gabe (me) vs HB

a fat ice HB with oversight AI and archer and janus. I got all the cards i needed in this one and was able to emergency shut down the archer that had been oversighted on the remote then FAOed it to cause an agenda forfeit, account syphoned i think 3 times with the help of dejavu, had tons of money and was hard to stop.

7-0 Win

Decks:
Identity:
Haas-Bioroid: Engineering the Future (Core)

Total Cards: (49)
Agenda (11)
Accelerated Beta Test (Core #55) x3
Private Security Force (Core #107) x3
Project Vitruvius (Cyber Exodus #51) x3
False Lead (A Study in Static #80) x2

Asset (9)
Melange Mining Corp (Core #108) x3
Adonis Campaign (Core #56) x3
Snare! (Core #70) x3 ¦¦

ICE (21)
Tollbooth (Core #90) x2 ¦¦
Shadow (Core #104) x2 ¦
Pop-up Window (Cyber Exodus #56) x2 ¦
Ice Wall (Core #103) x1 ¦
Viper (Cyber Exodus #52) x3
Wall of Static (Core #113) x3
Rototurret (Core #64) x2
Ichi 1.0 (Core #62) x3
Heimdall 1.0 (Core #61) x3

Operation (8)
Hedge Fund (Core #110) x3
Biotic Labor (Core #59) x3
Archived Memories (Core #58) x2

Upgrade (0)

Total Agenda Points: 20

Influence Values Totals -
Haas-Bioroid: 39
Jinteki: 6
NBN: 6
The Weyland Consortium: 3

Identity:
Gabriel Santiago: Consummate Professional (Core)

Total Cards: (45)
Event (25)
Sure Gamble (Core #50) x3
Forged Activation Orders (Core #20) x3
Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus #43) x3
Account Siphon (Core #18) x3
Inside Job (Core #21) x3
The Maker's Eye (Core #36) x3 ¦¦
Deja Vu (Core #2) x2 ¦¦
Easy Mark (Core #19) x2
Special Order (Core #22) x3

Hardware (4)
Desperado (Core #24) x2
E3 Feedback Implants (Trace Amount #24) x2

Program (10)
Sneakdoor Beta (Core #28) x3
Crypsis (Core #51) x3
Corroder (Core #7) x2 ¦¦
Yog.0 (Core #14) x1 ¦
Femme Fatale (Core #26) x1

Resource (6)
Armitage Codebusting (Core #53) x3
Compromised Employee (Trace Amount #25) x3

Anarch: 9
Criminal: 64
Shaper: 6

Meta/tournament:

I knew a lot of people were going to be playing HB so I think E3 is clutch, and I believed there wasnt going to be too much Tag and Bag so I chose not to play either Plascrete or Decoy in my Gabe deck. Got lucky there as I didnt even play anyone playing weyland.

I thought my decks did well, I didnt actually lose any games, just the one i forfeited. The one we ran out of time i felt i would've won.

I do feel that my HB above has a slightly hard time against big rig shapers so I might make some minor changes against that.

Tournament was a lot of fun, looking forward to the next one. A shame I didnt get to play alex... I'm sure we will play at the next tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
subtlesalmon wrote:

I do feel that my HB above has a slightly hard time against big rig shapers so I might make some minor changes against that.

If you put in Trick of Lights it turns the match in your favor, imo. You can simply ice R&D enough and then just not care how big there rig is, since you win quickly out of hand.

How did you feel about your snares? Were they worth the influence?
I do believe snare is a strong card right now, especially in a deck with Security Force and False Lead. But on the other hand, HB doesnt seem to make the most out of it, and its 6 influence.

Quote:

Tournament was a lot of fun, looking forward to the next one. A shame I didnt get to play alex... I'm sure we will play at the next tournament.

Yeah! And we should try playing next saturday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subtle Salmon
msg tools
Alexfrog wrote:
If you put in Trick of Lights it turns the match in your favor, imo. You can simply ice R&D enough and then just not care how big there rig is, since you win quickly out of hand.

How did you feel about your snares? Were they worth the influence?
I do believe snare is a strong card right now, especially in a deck with Security Force and False Lead. But on the other hand, HB doesnt seem to make the most out of it, and its 6 influence.

Yeah i'll be there on saturday.

I think the snares are really strong. They combo really well with PV counters/archived memories/biotic labor and false leads... And gives the deck 1 more out for victory with surprise flatlines. I really liked how they performed. If the deck can push through a PV or PSF as the first agenda (which it should aim for anyway) the snares are a decent threat.

obviously the trick of lights are also strong, i guess it depends which flavor you want....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Roberts
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe I had a magnum opus in my hand. For some reason I decided to not mulligan into one and that setup most of my dismal economy. However, you did a kill a test run which is a secondary way to

Round 1

HB vs. Chaos Theory - 7-0. He had trouble getting his rig out. I was able to score a mandatory upgrades, had a good abt with a archer and viper I think.

7-0

Chaos Theory vs HB - I was able to get my rig up and I pretty much secured the match already with my first agenda score. However I was now digging into R&D and I went to to test run my medium and I noticed it missing and it was in my box so I had to DQ for that game.

That left me at 3 prestige points

Round 2

Chaos Theory vs HB

I had trouble getting my economy and rig up and I was only able to steal one PR so it was 7-3

HB vs Kate (I think)

I was able to win, but unfortunately, we was able to get 4 agenda points stole nad took the match.

That left me at 5 prestige points

Round 3

Played runner first, my CT, vs. HB and won pretty quickly.

I played and won with my HB and so took both games and match.

That left me at 11 prestige points

Round 4

CT vs his HB, Ran into an early snare and could not really recover.

HB vs Criminal, that early sneak door is very brutal. I flush with agendas and he had the emergency shutdowns at the right time that I couldn't really get any agendas out. It was frustrating to say the least.

I look forward to the next Portland area tournament that I believe we're having in May and I know to always deck my decks before a game starts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raj Giri
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was one of the two that had to take off early. I mentioned to the TO if they could start earlier (like noon) that'd be good. So I only played 2 rounds.

Round 1 was against Eddie, so he summarized it accurately.
HB vs Gabriel
I drew three agendas and two Adonis's, so I mulliganed..into 2 ice and 2 agendas and something else. So Sneakdoor killed me quickly since I never got a third ice to block Archives and not enough economy to rez whatever was on R&D (Janus?). You live, you learn. This took all of 10 minutes.

Loss, 0-7

HB FA vs Kate
The Kate deck he mentioned is something I've tried three times with some success since I didn't want to play my Noise/PW deck. It's based around standard Kate deck rig stuff, I guess, but uses Doppelganger and All-Nighters to try and either score Notoriety or just make consecutive runs efficiently (either HQ or R&D).

The only correction to Eddie's report is that there's no Maker's Eye, I think it was just a lucky R&D run. I never got an Opus or Test Run, so money was tight.

Loss, 6-7

Also sorry again for the agenda issue causing the DQ in round two :\

Round 2
Me vs Levi

Kate vs Weyland
The Kate deck worked really well this time, opening Test Run/Opus and Zu/Snowball/Doppelganger by turn 3. I was really depleting his money through forcing him to rez ice, and I had no problems with whatever ice he had out. I scored one agenda off Inside Job, another off double running HQ with Doppelganger, and I think the last one was on a remote when I test runned a Femme Fatale out. He did manage to score one agenda while I spent a turn recovering money. All in all I'm happy with the Kate deck so far, though it's a little fussy. Certainly unique, I don't think anyone else was doing the same flavor of Kate deck. Maybe that's for a reason, though.

Win, 8-3.

HB vs Criminal
Learning from Round 1 I iced up Archives pretty damn fast! Otherwise my HB is not Fast Advance, just big ice/Precognition/ABT. This game is a little hazy, but after he stole one from HQ and I scored one I finally got my big remote server working. However, he managed to account siphon me twice, preventing me from rezzing Tollbooth or Janus, so he managed to get into the remote server and win. I think based on other reports and the popular consensus I'll just switch it to Fast Advance. I guess I just have more fun with giant walls.

Loss, 8-2.

At this point I had to check out. Wes and I had notified the TO in advance though, so they were expecting it. Regardless, a good tourney. Hopefully the May one is not the last weekend so I'll be in town for it.

Here are my decks.

Identity:
Kate "Mac" McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core)

Total Cards: (45)
Event (20)
Sure Gamble (Core #50) x3
Test Run (Cyber Exodus #47) x3
Notoriety (Trace Amount #26) x3
Modded (Core #35) x3
Diesel (Core #34) x3
Inside Job (Core #21) x1 ■■■
Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus #43) x1 ■■
Tinkering (Core #37) x3

Hardware (9)
Rabbit Hole (Core #39) x3
Doppelganger (A Study in Static #64) x3 ■■
The Personal Touch (Core #40) x1
Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead #9) x1
Cyberfeeder (Core #5) x1 ■

Program (8)
Magnum Opus (Core #44) x2
Femme Fatale (Core #26) x1 ■
Ninja (Core #27) x1 ■■
ZU.13 Key Master (What Lies Ahead #7) x2
Snowball (Trace Amount #27) x2

Resource (8)
Underworld Contact (A Study in Static #69) x2
All-nighter (A Study in Static #67) x2
The Helpful AI (What Lies Ahead #8) x2
Aesop's Pawnshop (Core #47) x2

Anarch: 1
Criminal: 14
Shaper: 65

Identity:
Haas-Bioroid: Engineering the Future (Core)

Total Cards: (49)
Agenda (9)
Accelerated Beta Test (Core #55) x3
Priority Requisition (Core #106) x3
Project Vitruvius (Cyber Exodus #51) x2
Mandatory Upgrades (What Lies Ahead #11) x1

Asset (9)
Adonis Campaign (Core #56) x3
Melange Mining Corp (Core #108) x2
Encryption Protocol (Trace Amount #29) x2
PAD Campaign (Core #109) x2

ICE (22)
Enigma (Core #111) x2
Pop-up Window (Cyber Exodus #56) x2 ■
Chum (Core #75) x2 ■
Tollbooth (Core #90) x1 ■■
Wall of Static (Core #113) x3
Ichi 1.0 (Core #62) x2
Viktor 1.0 (Core #63) x1
Viper (Cyber Exodus #52) x1
Wall of Thorns (Core #78) x2 ■
Sherlock 1.0 (Trace Amount #30) x1
Janus 1.0 (What Lies Ahead #12) x2
Heimdall 1.0 (Core #61) x2
Rototurret (Core #64) x1

Operation (6)
Precognition (Core #73) x2 ■■■
Hedge Fund (Core #110) x3
Beanstalk Royalties (Core #98) x1 ■

Upgrade (3)
Ash 2X3ZB9CY (What Lies Ahead #13) x3

Total Agenda Points: 21

Haas-Bioroid: 34
Jinteki: 10
NBN: 4
The Weyland Consortium: 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
HB Fast Advance (49 cards):

Haas-Bioroid (the good one)

3 Accelerated Beta Test
3 Project Vitruvius
3 Private Security Force
2 False Lead

3 Melange Mining Corp
3 Adonis Campaign
1 Private Contracts

3 Hedge Fund
3 Archived Memories
3 Biotic Labor
2 Trick of Light ******

1 Tollbooth **
3 Ichi
2 Rototurret
2 Shadow **
3 Wall of Static
3 Ice Wall ***
2 Viper
1 Enigma
1 Viktor
2 Popup Window **

I've playtested this quite a bit verbatim, recently swapped just the Contracts for Eve to see how it played (and I liked it). Love the deck. Particularly newfound respect for minor singletons though, like the Eve, but especially the Viktor. What a surprise beating that little guy can be. Had one today where Criminal took two brain damage from him to save clicks, then managed to click through a Plascrete w/Biotic PSF and get a turn-for-turn lockdown leveraging their Siphon tags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.