Popular Tags: [View All]
Eli Silver
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently scrapped an idea to make a solo RPG due to time issues (meaning I lack patience). Any way, I am now working on a preferably 1-4 player civ game. I am being inspired by Sid Meier's Civilization board game and Scott Slomiany's Pocket Civ. But I want to add some more concepts, so it is a little more complicated than Civilization, but still not so complicated as to turn many people away.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one would be interested in a Civ game that can be played in less than 1hr per player. A lot of these games really interest me, but the playtime makes them untouchable for my group.

I am sure there are many others out there with similar time constraints that would like this. I am not saying you turn it into a TTR level family game, but 5-6 hours for one game is a real turn off for many gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Silver
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear ya. And being a person with little to no people willing to play ANY game with me, solo options are big for me.

My goal is to make a game that can be played in a relatively short(er) amount of time, while also having a solo option for game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pocket Civ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There were a couple of threads about tech trees in this section within the last six months or so. They may give you some ideas if you want to include it.

I think it would help to figure out who the players are. Typically they are chiefs/kings/emperors but other options could be gods or priests. Figuring out this could help focus your mechanics, and perhaps ideas for special powers for each player.

On a similar note, I've always wanted to figure out a way to mimic the morale and individually of a population. For example, a dictatorship has tight control and the people follow your orders, but don't generate as many innovations. A democracy might create more, but the people might not go willingly into a war, etc. Deciding the player's role could offer ideas on this.

Last of all, I think a good civ game will make several things scarce throughout the game. Scarcity seems to prompt both innovations and conflict. Obviously food or other resources can do this, but if you can think of other things that can run low, I think it could be interesting.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A good solitaire civ game would be a day one buy for me. Currently loving Clash of Cultures but lack of people to play it with means that it taunts me from my shelf more often than I'd like!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Silver
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh.... Pocket Civ.

I like your ideas, fur94 . Thank you for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:

He mentions the game in the OP, but I think he is going for something more meaty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Silver
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is you talk'n 'bout me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
board_game_freak wrote:
Is you talk'n 'bout me?

Yes. The poster I quoted replied with only "Pocket Civ", as if you hadn't considered it or didn't know about it. I simply pointed out that you mentioned it in your original post and that you are looking to create something with a bit more complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Silver
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How right you are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike L.
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ummmm... didn't you just say you scrapped a game because it would take too much time and you don't have patience. What makes you think a meatier civ game would be any better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Silver
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... I have the ability to make games really fast. Like, in a day or two fast, if I have an idea on what I want to make (don't just take my word for it. Ask others, like Nate, or Magnehelli). The game I was wanting to make would have taken me weeks, even if I had devoted as much time as I could to it. My definition of 'too much time' is over a few days. Unless I am really into the project ( I once spent a whole week to make the game, Sid Meier's Civilization the board game, and it actually looks like the real thing).

Any way, I could probably knock out a Civ game in a day or two, if I have a good idea. Hence, this post. Hope that answers your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, he is INCREDIBLY fast!

Have you had a look at Eight-Minute Empire?

Not complicated, but there's a certain depth!

I've been pretty silent on the geek recently, because I'm retheming the game ("Narco Undercover", with GTA6 artwork!)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume
Japan
Fujisawa
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a "Sid Meier Alpha Centauri" board game on the back burner, but the copyright issue is just too much for me to ignore, as it's now owned by them-who-shall-not-be-named-and-walk-in-darkness (EA games)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Silver
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good game. Too bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.