Hide
9 Posts

Tokaido» Forums » General

Subject: 2 player information rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Rudling
msg tools
Thinking of buying this game for me & the girlfriend, something thats not too heavy for the both of us to play an afternoon. I think I read somewhere that a 3rd "dummy" figure must also be controlled when playing with only 2 players, how does this play? does the "3rd player" have to collect things and score points?
It seems quite annoying that if just both of us want to play we need to make movements for an imaginary friend.
This is the only thing that is holding me back from buying this game, could anyone explain WHY this needs to be done, and is it still just as fun?
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hartman
United States
Battle Ground
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there is a third npc player, but that player doesn't collect points. It is there to block spaces while traveling down the road. It is actually very much needed in a two player game.

btw, i got this game for the same reason as you and have enjoyed it. so has my girlfriend.
cheers,
scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manary Corte
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
Best game of all time...
badge
...Twilight Imperium 3!
mbmbmbmbmb
When it's the dummy player's turn, the player who is in front puts it in any legal space.

You basically use the dummy player to block a place on the board, so you don't have to keep track of any score, any other effects, anything.

Exceptions:

- If the dummy player is put on a Temple, assign a coin to the dummy player there, just for endgame bonus purposes.

- When the dummy player is put on an inn, randomly discard one of the food available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudling
msg tools
Thanks guys.

ManCorte wrote:

- If the dummy player is put on a Temple, assign a coin to the dummy player there, just for endgame bonus purposes.
Endgame Bonus for the player who made the action, yes? (Not a bonus for the dummy itself. The dummy does not gain any points throughout gameplay, correct?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manary Corte
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
Best game of all time...
badge
...Twilight Imperium 3!
mbmbmbmbmb
killcrystal wrote:
Thanks guys.

ManCorte wrote:

Endgame Bonus for the player who made the action, yes? (Not a bonus for the dummy itself. The dummy does not gain any points throughout gameplay, correct?)

Endgame bonus to the players who contributed the most to the temple, the 2nd most, the 3rd most etc.

For example, it's possible for the dummy player to be the player who contributed the most to the temple, so the real player who contributed the most will receive bonus points at the endgame equal to the number assigned to who contributed in second place.

The dummy player does not ever receive points: neither during gameplay, nor at the endgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes user recommended player counts are just flat out wrong. I wonder if all the people who voted this not recommended for two actually played it with two. Two player is the least chaotic of all the player counts. I'd argue that 2p is in fact the preferred player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
schm0
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
travvller wrote:
Sometimes user recommended player counts are just flat out wrong. I wonder if all the people who voted this not recommended for two actually played it with two. Two player is the least chaotic of all the player counts. I'd argue that 2p is in fact the preferred player count.

This is interesting, indeed, and something I too call into question. I most often check the forums when there is anything under 30 votes for player count. Usually there's a valid reason to be found for or against. Seems like a non-competitive third player/pawn is harmless enough and only serves to fill a needed slot on the board in order for the mechanics to work well.

What I want to know is: does this mean it plays differently with more? Or similarly, just a bit more crowded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schm0 wrote:
travvller wrote:

This is interesting, indeed, and something I too call into question. I most often check the forums when there is anything under 30 votes for player count. Usually there's a valid reason to be found for or against. Seems like a non-competitive third player/pawn is harmless enough and only serves to fill a needed slot on the board in order for the mechanics to work well.

What I want to know is: does this mean it plays differently with more? Or similarly, just a bit more crowded?

It certainly plays differently with more. There is as you'd expect, more competition for spots (even with the second player spots). I don't know that I necessarily prefer it to the two player game though. I think the two player game is slightly more tactical, whereas the larger player game (primarily 4 and 5 player) is more about adaptation and optimization of limited options. I like both experiences, and actually find it to be a positive aspect of the game that it plays differently based on player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N M
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Manary's statement about 'no points awarded/scored' for the Neutral Player would be a good statement to have in the rules.

Second clarification, the rules state that the temple contribution comes from the Neutral Player's 'bank', but the bank is the stack of coins on the traveler tile, and the 'reserve' (per Farm space description) is the pile of coins that pays players.

The Neutral Player has no traveler tile, and the temple contribution comes from the 'reserve' not the 'bank'.

At least, that's what we figured as we played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.