BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: "light" RPG for some beginners? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Automator Threetousand
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Over the past couple years, my fiance and I have been cultivating a solid board game hobby. What started with Scrabble games a couple times a month has grown to include Ticket to Ride, Settlers of Catan, Dominion, Small World ... the list grows.

The other day, I was spending some idle hours watching Geek and Sundry videos and came upon their "Fiasco" play through. I was intrigued. I've never played an RPG of that sort (closest I ever came was meeting with a group and rolling D&D characters, but the group never met again to start playing), neither has she.

So to the Game Geeks out there, what would you recommend as a starter? Our likely playing partners aren't versed in RP either, so it'd be 4-6 people who are very comfortable in games with boards and pieces and cards, but nothing as freeform as D&D or its offspring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Arcangeli
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm not an expert but the first thing that sprang to mind was Mice and Mystics.

This combines storytelling and board games in a very approachable way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror is half boardgame and half rpg. I would recommend it as a start and then you could decide if you want to campaign (where you continue the story and characters across different sessions) or continue with strategy boardgaming- complete the game in one session.

If you already know you want to campaign RPG, D&D 4th edition is pretty easy for non-rpgers to pick up and start playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aye, Dark Overlord! The Red Box is an easy and welcoming RPG.

Sure, you're not building and leveling a character, but you're playing a role. I personally love acting, improvising and storytelling, but dislike the excessive rules and bookkeeping of e.g. DnD.

Tales of the Arabian Nights is another storytelling game, but I've never played it.

Next week I plan to play Fiasco to introduce some to RPG. They've played Heroscape, and Heroquest and have done some leveling up in Space Alert: The New Frontier. It's the first time they'll be acting in a game.

Some may say that stat-building and leveling is necessary and part of a "real" RPG, but I disagree. For me, it's all about storytelling, acting, and doing things you wouldn't dare to do in real life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I was going to recommend Fiasco just on seeing the thread title - I've been playing for about three years now and it doesn't get old and is a lot of fun. I like it because apart from generally telling a great story, it doesn't require any pre-game preparation like D&D and others like it do.

However, it sounds like you're looking for something more structured. In that case, I don't think D&D 4th edition is a bad place to look if you have someone willing to play a GM. The combat is very much like a tactical board game. Actual board games in this vein are Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) and the Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System Board Games family.

Tales of the Arabian Nights is a storytelling board game where there are very few choices made by the players - you set yourself up and then pursue and adventure and a story is told along the way. I had fun while playing it.

Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game is an interesting competitive storytelling game where you are trying to get rid of cards in your hand and guide a fantasy story to your desired ending with the caveat that the story always has to make sense. It can get a bit sloppy but it's still fun to play.

edit: The above suggestion of Mice and Mystics is also a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Arkham Horror
Once Upon A Time

I definitely second those.

But you should give a real role playing game a try too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually wanted to try RPG's like you, and I'm really glad I did. Fiasco is actually probably a really great introduction, because it gives you the feel of making your collaborative story, which I think is the essence of what an RPG is.

The reason I said I'm glad I tried it was because I actually didn't really like it. It's very good to know that that area of gaming just probably isn't my cup of tea. It was still fun, though, just not in the way that playing a boardgame is fun (and for me, far more enjoyable).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Quest: A Time of Heroes and its expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.