Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm looking to trade a small Memoir 44 lot for a different 2p experience [actually, looking to sell, but that's been coming up blank], and have not been finding much in the way of matches from my current wantlist.

Therefore, I posit the following question to you: What is the best 2p game experience to have been released in the past 5 years [that I don't own, obviously... if you want to take the time to check]?

I'm not even going to give recommendation criteria, since my wantlist is already selected based on those criteria and has, as I said, been giving me nothing. If you want to poke around my ratings, that's great though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have Android for 2-5 players (4+ hours for 2 players).

The theme is excellent, with a beautiful board and with a lot of flavor text on the cards (you can decide yourself how much to read it during the game). All characters are unique with some of their own character-specific rules, personal storylines to finish during the game (happy endings give victory points), and their own demons to avoid when solving the case. There are many different murder cases to play. So the combinations are huge.

There is a great atmosphere, and although the board and the sheer number of tokens may at first intimidate you, the game mechanisms are actually quite simple when you have played once. Each game takes a long time (5+ hours for your first 2-player game), so stay clear of this game, if that is a problem for you.

Note: the box says 3-5 players, but the game works very well with 2 players (but you may want to use 4 suspects).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Olson
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring(2nd) or Twilight Struggle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for a similar WW2 theme in a truly excellent tactical wargame, then I say unto thee "Combat Commander: Europe"!

But if this is truly open-ended, then... hmm. Maybe Prêt-à-Porter if you're feeling economic euro-ish? Or since I think you're into some Splotter games, maybe Duck Dealer? Or make Power Grid fun for 2 players by getting Power Grid: The Robots? Or since you like clever game kits, a nice Shibumi set (not the cheap plastic one but the mid-range one)? Or a nice Go board to play not only Go (admittedly not from the past 5 years) but various excellent modern abstracts like Ayu, Xodd, Slither, etc? Or if we pretend "5 years" is "1000 years", maybe Shogi? OK, enough open-ending, I guess...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Earth Reborn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Earth Reborn
Easily the best game published during the last 5 years, imho.
Invest the time to learn the rules over the course of 9 tutorial scenarios, with some of them likely seeing multiple play-throughs. After mastering the full ruleset, learn the scenario generator's ruleset as well and get another ton of random scenarios. Add in great production value, well written rules and extremely high replayability.

Alternatively, get into a miniatures game like Hordes or Warmachine - or whatever other system does appeal to you. 2 players, expandable to the extreme, great replayabilty, different opponents, etc etc. But very demanding when it comes to time and money investments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kinda shocked to not see a lot of Android Netrunner here arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently written reviews for my 3 favorite 2 player games:

Mage Wars Review
BattleCON Review
Puzzle Strike Review

Maybe one of those will be a good match for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Slither

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
12th BGG CCE open!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to mention Navegador, but I see it's already on your wishlist.

I think Brass is worth trying for you. Some people play on a 2p board, some people just cover up part of the regular board. We play on the full board (we also build 3p maps in Roads & Boats). I know people play it online, but I've never tried it that way, so I can't say how well it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suburbia if 2.8 doesn't seem too low in weight for you.

The feel is of a pot smoking game. I don't smoke pot, but if I did I would smoke my pot, take a look at the board and my opponents board. And then pick out a tile to buy and buy it. I might then go to the fridge for munchies. Come back. My opponent is checking out the fresh dibs out for sale and wondering if they are just going to blow all of their money on "that one". While I am thinking about whether or not anything is moving through the pipeline and getting cheap enough to seem like a good deal.

Multiplayer solitaire with the ability to also take away tiles that your opponent needs. For me, there is plenty of room to get better at the game over time.

I like the theme and the art and the feel. It is laid back. Not terribly tense. I just played it though so I'm in the afterglow stage. It is a very, very easy game to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
Haggis or Manoeuvre. The later will scratch much the same itch as Memoir, but is much superior imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Watson
United States
Belle Plaine
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Piquet (350 year old card game: has card drafting, hand management, set collection, deduction, trick taking, cage fighting, plays quickly, and nothing is more portable than a certain 32 cards drawn from a standard deck). Ok, I'm not serious about the cage fighting, but everything else is present. 350 years of longevity!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We own, oooh, about 40 two-player games...

I'd say BattleCON: War of Indines or Puzzle Strike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Puzzle Strike (Third Edition) (or Shadows)

Agricola

Innovation

With those three and a regular gaming partner, I could be happy for a long time. There are other games I'd rather play, like Through the Ages, but some folks don't like it with 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Polis: Fight for the Hegemony should be mentioned here, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
eapeas wrote:
Polis: Fight for the Hegemony should be mentioned here, no?

Damn, good call!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Co sprgs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I add a +1 for the aforementioned Earth Reborn, Suburbia, and Claustrophobia and an additional +1 for Earth Reborn its just awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Earth Reborn, Claustrophobia, and Polis.

add

Dungeon Command: Sting of Lolth
1989: Dawn of Freedom
Napoleon's Triumph
and the upcoming The Guns of Gettysburg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klim Chugunkin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Earth Reborn easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Noahboa wrote:

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
Therefore, I posit the following question to you: What is the best 2p game experience to have been released in the past 5 years [that I don't own, obviously... if you want to take the time to check]?

For something heavy, how about 1989: Dawn of Freedom?

And I know you like traditional card games, so I would strongly 2nd Haggis.

-Jonathan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdougla2 wrote:
I've recently written reviews for my 3 favorite 2 player games:

Mage Wars Review
BattleCON Review
Puzzle Strike Review

Maybe one of those will be a good match for you.

Yep.

BattleCON: War of Indines

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.