Popular Tags: [View All]
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this is obvious but I've been trying to figure out how to add a "bookmark" or "tag" to a game's entry. Like, if I look up a game and I know I will want to look at it again is there a way to tag it within the geek or do I have to do it in my browser?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*adding mail notification to this thread*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could add games to your Wanted or Wish lists, then they'll show up under My Geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the "Sub Bloglines" link by the game name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Another possibility is making a private geeklist for your own reference and notetaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. Good suggestions. Except...I didn't really understand what the whole "blogline" thing is all about...

I will impliment a combo of wishlist and geeklist I think.

Just wondering, though... Why isn't this type of feature built in to the website anyway? It seems that a site whoes main purpose is as a giant archive this would be one of the first things built. Maybe it's just me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry but I'm just not getting the need to have 'bookmark a game' functionality built into the geek.

Why don't people just use the bookmark facility in their browser? In my browser of choice it is quite a bit more powerful than a simple list, will warn of duplicates, and can be reorganised into sub-categories easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh. I guess it's good that there isn't that functionality then (for you).

I, on the other hand, would rather not have a ton of new bookmarks clogging up my browser.

All I'm saying is that with the billions of other things you can do with this site it seems strange that bookmarking an individual game -seeing as how individual games are the entire point of the site- is not one of them.

I'd be willing to bet I'm far from the only one who feels this. I'm not starting a petition or anything. Just saying....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:

Why don't people just use the bookmark facility in their browser? In my browser of choice it is quite a bit more powerful than a simple list, will warn of duplicates, and can be reorganised into sub-categories easily.

Because then your BGG bookmarks follow you wherever you access the geek. But beyond that, using your own bookmarks you'd need to constantly name what these items you are bookmarking are in your browser. If you could bookmark any element in the database within BGG then it would show up, neat and tidy, as it's name entry in the database.

I've talked with aldie before about bookmarking, not only games but really any element in the database. He likes the idea and so I imagine at some point it will get implemented.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
I'm sorry but I'm just not getting the need to have 'bookmark a game' functionality built into the geek.

For myself, I use multiple browsers and multiple machines. That's why I add games to my wishlist. Then I can access them from anywhere. Plus it keeps my bookmark file less cluttered which already has way too many bookmarks as it is.

jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:
andyl wrote:

For myself, I use multiple browsers and multiple machines. That's why I add games to my wishlist. Then I can access them from anywhere.

Well why not use one of the bookmark synchronisation tools - most use third party sites but I've seen some which can use your own WebDAV server. Or you could configure your browser so as to point your bookmarks at a file on a USB memory stick.

jyeackle wrote:

Plus it keeps my bookmark file less cluttered which already has way too many bookmarks as it is.

Well my bookmarks file is at 245K at the moment - with the sub-menus running three deep in places. Because it has been categorised quite well, it doesn't look cluttered at all - but I admit that is a matter of taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
Well why not use one of the bookmark synchronisation tools - most use third party sites but I've seen some which can use your own WebDAV server. Or you could configure your browser so as to point your bookmarks at a file on a USB memory stick.

The machine isn't always mine to tinker with. Sometimes its a friends, work, lab, or cafe machine, etc. And carrying around a memory stick isn't something I wish to do. Having BGG store my information works the best for *me*. And that's because I'm lazy and already have a 1.8MB bookmark file that goes back to 1992 when I first started surfing the web. It's cluttered enough!

What I was pointing out was that for an average non-technical user who isn't lazy, and is in my shoes, BGG bookmarks would work best for them too. You could mention WebDAV server syncing and USB flash drive portable solutions all day long. You'll just get a blank look like I get from most of my customers.

I know it's sometimes easy to forget that not everyone on the geek is a 'geek' in the technical sense. I even knew one member on here that didn't even own his own computer for awhile. He'd update his collection and post messages from the local library.

take it easy,

jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:

I love the Internet. "I don't need this feature, so I have trouble understanding why you would!"

For the record, I would like to be able to bookmark games as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.