Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CJ
United States
Beaver Dam
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played about 2 dozen games on my Collector's Edition and am loving every minute of it. To this point, I/we have not purchased the upgrade kit. To other CE owners, do you feel like the upgrade kit is a significant addition to the game? If you have the upgrade kit, could you ever see yourself playing without it? Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite enjoy the improvements made in 2nd edition and bought the upgrade kit. I'm especially happy with the changes to Gandalf, the Witch-King, and the Hobbit companions (though one could of course implement these without actually owning the new cards). I would only play with the old cards/rules if I was playing an opponent who was resistant to trying the new ones.

Visual aesthetics bonus: Graphically, I prefer the white card borders over the CE's black ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wargrave
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have it but not played it yet. I might be wrong here but I bought the upgrade kit in order for me to be able to play the upcoming expansions. I was thinking that if I did not specifically have 2nd edition then the new expansions would not fit and it looks like they are taking the game into an exciting new direction.

Also I bought it because i read somewhere that the last print run has just been made so didn't want to have to buy it at double the price in two years time if I decided then I needed it later.

Sorry my advice is not about actually playing it!

Would also be interested in knowing if my point 1 above was wrong. But the second point for me pushed me over the line last week to purchase it now rather than wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a few reasons why you want the upgrade kit as CE owner:

1: you need to upgrade to 2nd edition to be able to play with the 2nd edition expansion, and you really want to play with the second edition expansion. It is really, really good and adds a ton of options. IMHO it is much better than the 1st edition expansion (I didn't really care for that one at all, it changed the game too much)

2: ares has announced that either the current or the next reprint of the upgrade kit is the last one they will ever do. Your window to get in n the upgrade kit is limited.

3: you get a tin. You need a tin to store sleeved CE cards in. In fact, you may consider buying more than one tin (I did. I have 4)

The upgrade kit is also quite affordable. That's not a reason in and of itself, but it helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Killeen
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also be aware the upgrade kit (which I own) does not come with the 2d edition rules. It's just the tin and cards. You have to download it and print it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United States
Beaver Dam
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. Some good points here that I hadn't considered or wasn't aware of. It's looking like I will be picking up the upgrade kit.

It also sounds like the expansion is a must have. After my first quick look at it, it appeared that several of the figures in the expansion were identical to ones that came with the CE. Maybe I need to take a second look at it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hall
United States
Mesa
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is in the upgrade kit?

IS this it?

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/184909

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found the cards are a tight fit once sleeved. My opinion is to get the upgrade, if nothing more than to save your eyes when reading the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Meighan
United States
Manahawkin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion the collector's edition needs no improvement. The upgrade kit is not compatible with the expansion included in the CE so you the have to buy the new expansion and paint the figures.

I have decided not to upgrade. The collector's edition is my favorite game, still. I would have liked Ares to go in a different direction with 2nd edition but that's ok, my CE is still great as is. And I believe there is no reason to mess with a great thing.

One Wolf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United States
Beaver Dam
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jedisilentbob wrote:
What is in the upgrade kit?

IS this it?

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/184909

No, that is a tin box with plastic sleeves to store and protect your cards. The upgrade kit seems to be going for somewhere around $50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United States
Beaver Dam
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One_Wolf wrote:
In my opinion the collector's edition needs no improvement. The upgrade kit is not compatible with the expansion included in the CE so you the have to buy the new expansion and paint the figures.

Can you elaborate on this a little bit for me? What parts of the CE aren't compatible with the Upgrade kit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
cjv5 wrote:
One_Wolf wrote:

Can you elaborate on this a little bit for me? What parts of the CE aren't compatible with the Upgrade kit?

The expansion (included in the CE, but separate in the rulebook for the CE) is not compatible with the upgrade kit. This includes all figures of one tray (ents, corsairs, etc) Ares is planning additional expansions for the second edition that will probably remedy this, but that is not for certain.

There is now an expansion to WotR 2nd edition. There has been a special CE release of that with painted figures, but you already own many of the painted figures as it is (because they are in the 1st edition expansion) so you may just want to purchase the regular unpainted version. The second edition expansion is quite different from the first edition expansion, and (I think) much better.

The upgrade kit is going for exorbitant prices right now. You may want to hold off until it is more widely available again through a reprint, or contact ares cust support to see what is going on with this. At the current prices you are almost better off just to buy the (normal) second edition of WotR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Rodriguez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am TOTALLY confused here.

I have BOTH the CE and 2nd Edition.

The CE have everything that is in the 2nd edition, even the cards are the same (except for the border color and the expansion cards that are optional to be used in the CE, but you most likely will use).

Due to previous comments, I went through both game decks and all cards are exactly the same.

The CE IS NOT 1st Ed + Expansion.

The CE IS 2nd Ed + Expansions that are not available separately (as of right now).

The Lords expansion is compatible with the CE. You will have some duplicate figures though, but will also be able to play them with different rules (i.e. the Balrog and Mouth of Sauron cards are different and you can choose which one to use).

So if you have CE, there is no need at all to buy the upgrade tin can. That is for people who have the 1st Edition of the game.

There is an issue with the cards border color in the Lords expansion that do not match the CE and is giving me headaches right now. But that's on another thread.

As for the Upgrade, it is right now on Amazon at a very nice price (Aug 24,2013):
http://www.amazon.com/War-Ring-2nd-Edition-Upgrade/dp/B005WM...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
The CE is 1st edition with the first edition expansion added (only the part that expands the msin game, not the two battle games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
lparigi34 wrote:
I am TOTALLY confused here.

I have BOTH the CE and 2nd Edition.

The CE have everything that is in the 2nd edition, even the cards are the same (except for the border color and the expansion cards that are optional to be used in the CE, but you most likely will use).

Due to previous comments, I went through both game decks and all cards are exactly the same.

The CE IS NOT 1st Ed + Expansion.

The CE IS 2nd Ed + Expansions that are not available separately (as of right now).

The Lords expansion is compatible with the CE. You will have some duplicate figures though, but will also be able to play them with different rules (i.e. the Balrog and Mouth of Sauron cards are different and you can choose which one to use).

So if you have CE, there is no need at all to buy the upgrade tin can. That is for people who have the 1st Edition of the game.

There is an issue with the cards border color in the Lords expansion that do not match the CE and is giving me headaches right now. But that's on another thread.

As for the Upgrade, it is right now on Amazon at a very nice price (Aug 24,2013):
http://www.amazon.com/War-Ring-2nd-Edition-Upgrade/dp/B005WM...

The CE is 1st edition + 1st edition expansion (but only those parts of the expansion that apply to the base WOTR game, not the extra "mini" games)

As I understand it, your argument is that the differences between the first and second edition are so minor you really do not care, and that's fine of course. But for the sake of having the right info out there: CE is first edition!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.