Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
ConnCon 2018 March 23, 24, 25 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmb
"Run for Your Life" by the Beatles just came up on shuffle on my i-tunes and it occurs to me that I've never really listened to the lyrics and HOLY CRAP! Under that that lively pop ditty are some lyrics that would make a gangster rapper feel uneasy. Well, maybe not but I mean ...

"I'd rather see you dead, little girl
Than to be with another man
You better keep your head, little girl
Or you won't know where I am"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Another surprising one is from Getting Better:
Quote:
I used to be cruel to my woman, I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved.

My favorite that is not so surprising (the whole song is creepy):
Quote:
Yellow matter custard...dripping from a dead dog's eye goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
Csigs wrote:
"I'd rather see you dead, little girl
Than to be with another man
You better keep your head, little girl
Or you won't know where I am"

I've always been struck by the misplaced modifier in this song (it's a cover, so the Beatles don't get dinged for the writing).

"I'd rather see you dead than to be with another man" means that I would rather you die than for me to be with a man.

I think what they mean is "I'd rather see you dead than to see you with another man" but that doesn't really fit the beat (back beat or otherwise).

But yeah, beyond the jarring homophobia, it's even more jarring in it's, you know, stalking and murdering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
That's one of my least favorite Beatles tunes, partly because of that line. On the other hand, "Hey Joe" is one of my favorite Hendrix songs (cover, of course; and I also enjoy many of the other covers, especially the Seeds').
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW Lennon said the song was a knock-off and he was embarrassed by it. But misogyny was rampant back then (and still is, of course.) My sister once asked ex-husband what he would have done if he had found her with another man while they were married, and he rather matter-of-factly said he would have killed both of them.

But "Run For Your Life" doesn't hold a candle to the virulent song, I don't remember the title, with lyrics

I GOTcha!
Uh huh, huh,
You thought you'd get away from me, didn't ya.
Uh huh, huh,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
twixter wrote:
My sister once asked ex-husband what he would have done if he had found her with another man while they were married, and he rather matter-of-factly said he would have killed both of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally! It took a lot of posts before somebody dropped the appropriate Iron Maiden reference!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Beatles suck. Gatorade's better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
No shortage of sixties lover killers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
ConnCon 2018 March 23, 24, 25 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.