Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fairly sure I know the answer to this, but I'd like to confirm before I host my first BSG game next week.

When you draw a Cylon Attack Crisis, you do not clear other Cylon ships from the board, correct? (It seems like the board would become a bit busy/overwhelming, but I see nothing in the rules to prevent it.)

Additionally, the only time you do a full board wipe is after a FTL jump, correct?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manary Corte
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
Best game of all time...
badge
...Twilight Imperium 3!
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
ManCorte wrote:
Both are correct.

Much thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't have enough ships to add to the board the current player chooses which ones get placed. This usually happens when you have a basestar on the board and the attack card adds two more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante Tulos
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This confused me at first when I first played the game too. It got VERY overwhelming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dante3000 wrote:
This confused me at first when I first played the game too. It got VERY overwhelming.

Once the cards get a bit better shuffled, CACs stop being quite so clumped together...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
Once the cards get a bit better shuffled, CACs stop being quite so clumped together...

Or not. A less random addition/insertion of CACs into the crisis deck is the only way to avoid it. Getting no CACs for so long is just as bad as getting too many.

Hence our fondness of the Cylon Fleet Board from Exodus (also changes the game in otherways that we like).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

Or not.

Okay, yeah, randomness, but it's much less common to get 3-4 CACs in a row once the Crisis deck has been well-shuffled (which, empirically, takes a lot more shuffling than most people think - it'll typically be several games before they're well-randomised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think it would be inappropriate to:
1. Shuffle the Cylon Attack Crisis cards
2. Deal them each into an empty pile
3. Shuffle the remaining Crisis cards
4. Distribute them evenly into each of the piles
5. Shuffle each pile individually
6. Stack the piles

(Inspired by epidemics in Pandemic)

I'm just very concerned about the board getting more and more confusing, especially since I'll have five new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante Tulos
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that defeats the point of the game. Things are supposed to get bad for the humans, that's why you work together. But, still, it's your game and I can't imagine a move like that breaking its mechanics in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
6. Stack the piles

I'm just very concerned about the board getting more and more confusing, especially since I'll have five new players.
There's still some swinginess here, though not as bad...

If someone hits a CAC via a LS, then you're sorta clear sailing until the next x to x times 2 range of "safe cards". It's worse if someone's card counting the CAC and aggressively scouts away them when "that time" comes. I would probably do half and half... do the even piles, for 8 or so of the CAC, then stick in the remaining ones randomly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
6. Stack the piles

Pandemic-style attacks is a reasonable compromise - particularly for the first game - but I'd just shuffle for the next game(s) - you get better stories out of games where you jump away just after the third CAC in a row, or just before a dozen Raiders would tear apart the civilian fleet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
6. Stack the piles

I wouldn't do it, especially for your first game. That's part of the joy of the game! Things get so incredibly overwhelming and you're all "OMG how the frak are we going to survive this?!" and it's tense and amazing and fun. And then you probably don't survive, but it was still epic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Exodus doesn't come with CACs, here is what I do on the rare occasion that we use CACs at all, as opposed to the Cylon Fleet Board:

Keep all the CACs in their own pile. When someone is about to draw a Crisis Card, roll the die. On a 1, draw from the CAC deck instead of the normal deck. No cards or abilities or anything can modify the die roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LocutusZero wrote:
Since Exodus doesn't come with CACs, here is what I do on the rare occasion that we use CACs at all, as opposed to the Cylon Fleet Board:

Keep all the CACs in their own pile. When someone is about to draw a Crisis Card, roll the die. On a 1, draw from the CAC deck instead of the normal deck. No cards or abilities or anything can modify the die roll.

How do you balance Roslin and Boomer's once-per-turn abilities (and Scouting generally) with unavoidable CACs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grímur Zimsen
Iceland
Reykjavík
Gerðin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
LocutusZero wrote:

How do you balance Roslin and Boomer's once-per-turn abilities (and Scouting generally) with unavoidable CACs?

This guy has a similar idea and lets the player choose which deck to look at:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/742617/an-alternative-to-the...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.