Subject: ebay damaged box in shipping...what next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I bought a copy of a game on eBay for a fairly good deal (new in shrink for a bit less than OLGS).

The seller shipped it to me with no type of protection and it took a week longer than stated. The shrink is torn and all 4 corners of the box are scratched up and the face of the box is lightly marred. Based on eBay's policies it looks like I could just ship it back.

The question is...do you think it is worth the hassle? Is eBay helpful or should I just ask the seller for some type of compensation instead? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Would you even care or do you think I'm just being a picky buyer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You aren't being picky. But contact Ebay and go through them. They'll help you and the seller out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on how they were described in the description. I am fairly particular but usually go out of my way to contact the sellers before I bid to make sure they give me a clear description of the game before I bid. If they aren't responsive, I don't buy from them. That being said if the items were actually "damaged" during shipping that is one thing, if they are just not as "new" as you were hoping than you may be over reacting. If they were listed as "new" or the pictures showed otherwise I would contact the seller first and express your concerns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
described as NIB (in shrink). Seems most of the internals are fine, but damn if the box didn't get marked up. I'll report back after contacting the seller and see what's up (in case anyone else falls into a similar trap).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are much safer contacting Ebay and going through them, unless you have dealt with this company before or know people who have dealt with this company. Otherwise you may not get this resolved, and unless you let Ebay know when it happens they may not be able to help you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you could ask for a partial refund. seller can ask you to return it instead and you would be out the return shipping. youll get refunded on purchase price and and shipping you paid....but it sounds like you had a crap seller and crap sellers almost never refund return ship costs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
What was their feedback like from previous transactions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Butterfield
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely contact the seller first. If they don't respond or if they give you an unsatisfactory answer, contact Paypal (assuming you paid with Paypal). Paypal almost always sides with the seller in eBay disputes, for better or worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mpb2000 wrote:
Definitely contact the seller first. If they don't respond or if they give you an unsatisfactory answer, contact Paypal (assuming you paid with Paypal). Paypal almost always sides with the buyer in eBay disputes, for better or worse.

I think you misspoke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Contact the seller first! Most are very protective of their ebay rating/reputation and want to make it right - if for no other reason then to avoid a negative comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some sellers just don't know or care how they ship games.

I buy and sell on ebay all the time. It's definitely the sellers responsibility to make sure the game arrives in the condition it was sold.

For a long time when I would buy games on ebay, I would get very poorly packed games. Or what I like to call "the dreaded brown paper wrap". That's where the only box your board game ships in is the game box wrapped in brown paper cry.

It is for this reason I started to, and still, send a message every time I buy. Something like "Please make sure to ship in a box with protection". This has greatly reduced the number of damaged games that I receive.

I have contacted sellers in the past but only if its really bad, and in most cases they are willing to work with you. Sometimes it's not worth the hassle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bailey-Jones
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think you will have to keep it now that you have broken the game out of shrink, if returning I would have left the game still in the shrink and returned it, now you only have the option to contact the seller and see if they could offer a partial discount for poor packaging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
JBAILEY1 wrote:
Think you will have to keep it now that you have broken the game out of shrink, if returning I would have left the game still in the shrink and returned it, now you only have the option to contact the seller and see if they could offer a partial discount for poor packaging.

Disagree with you here. I think if the box is now in poor condition because of poor posting then the seller sucks up the 100% of the loss. Lack of shrink is no longer the issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bailey-Jones
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:
JBAILEY1 wrote:

Disagree with you here. I think if the box is now in poor condition because of poor posting then the seller sucks up the 100% of the loss. Lack of shrink is no longer the issue.

Think we will have to agree to disagree,

1. If the box is wrecked and you have no desire to keep the game why break the shrink, as quoted the contents were ok which would be one reason to break the shrink if you were thinking of keeping the game!

2. Do you not think it would be best to return the game as delivered as the seller may have some re-course to claim damages back from the courier/post service (Depending of course how the game was packaged?

3. As a seller I would be more likely to offer a refund if all returned as was sent and not opened, would have at least appreciate an e-mail in the first instance prior to opening for 'where to go next', i.e. full/partial refund.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
just to fan the fire a bit, the shrink was shredded during shipping so it isn't like I could send it back that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doesnt matter either way.

contact them first and see what they offer as a resolution. if it isnt to your liking, tell them so...but NEVER imply negative feedback. you can get hit with feedback extortion.

if they work with you to your liking, good.

if not, open a case of not as described, you will most likely be on the hook for return shipping that way though

keep calm, use professional language and be willing to wait a day or two between responses

sometimes the return isnt worth the hassle or the cost. i often just refund and let them keep a damaged item if it is under $10. or i just ask for a small part returned to make it completely unusable. front cover, the head of an action figure...along those lines

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.