Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregory Miller
United States
Granger
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a lot of good reviews for No Retreat. I'm considering either this game or the D-Day at Omaha Beach reprint. If I opted for No Retreat, it would be for solitaire play only. Does the VPG expansion make the game a worthwhile investment if it's played only for it's solitaire experience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Petty
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
I enjoyed the game a bit more just playing it solitaire straight up than using the solo expansion. The expansion feels a like a game on top of the game with a framework for playing both sides with equal gusto. I admire the creativity and its Peloponnesian War-based pedigree, but it didn't click with me right away. I'm certain that I'll give it another shot in the near future though.

While the cards make the base game a little difficult to navigate solo since they can come into play at nearly any time from either side, forcing you to mentally switch sides a lot more than an Igo-Ugo game, it's still a lot of fun to watch the narrative of the campaign play out.

I think the solo expansion turns a game that has natural barriers to solo play (the cards) into a more solo friendly experience. It doesn't turn the game into anything close to pure solo games like D-Day at Omaha Beach or Hornet Leader. The big picture strategic goal will be preset for you by the solo module, and you'll have some tactical objective to fulfill each turn, but in the end you're still playing and making decisions for both sides.

Whether it's a worthwhile investment for solo-only really depends on whether you enjoy playing two-player games solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Baker
United States
Carlsbad
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Hey-You Looked! Been on BGG for a couple years and just getting around to this...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to see some one else speed up first.
I loveNo Retreat! The Russian Front for solo play. I play Allies then the next day Axis. It plays very well but the cards do muddle it up a bit making and forgetting tactics very easy. Although, I've recently begun to experiment with running a log file for the solo game.
I haven't played with the Victory Point Solo expansion- but glad to see it is worth figuring out for a different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No Retreat is a great experience playing both sides, with or without the solo rules. Read the living rules, play the vassal module once o twice, then go for it if you like it. Easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i enjoy a lot playing no retreat solitaire, but d-day at omaha beach is something absolutly different.

d-day at omaha beach brings you feelings like you're playing agaist another player. is amazing.

about no retreat solitaire, you play boths sides (with the solo rules too), but it's really fun. worth it for solitaire only? my answer is a great yes (i bought my no retreat for solitaire play only, and i'll do it again for sure).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
No Retreat! The Russian Front is a superb game. The low counter density and the different aspects that change each turn (weather, events, blitz markers, shock markers, placements and so on) gives the game a historical approximation that evolve each player. The event cards adds different approaches in applying the strategies involved. The conditions to win are very engaging like the sudden death and the conquer of the "green" objectives.
Allied to all this, I must reinforce the great quality of the components.
This game is by now a classic. Play it solo, PBEM or live in skype using vassal. To finish you must play it face to face to have good fun.
Get it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.